Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:01 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Originally Posted by bex1
Most providers will unlock your phone FOC. I would recommend this route because sometimes when you buy an unlock service from the Internet or an "east indiancell phone store" (lol) they can sometimes revert back when you attempt to do a software update. I will be unlocking mine with O2, they provide the service on their website FOC.
I'm with three and FOC doesn't seem an option

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...,Case=obj(4363)
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So, to all of those that are not on a contract, what type of deals do you obtain that are so superior to those available on a contract?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:27 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, to all of those that are not on a contract, what type of deals do you obtain that are so superior to those available on a contract?
I've decided to use two yogurt pots and a piece of string, it gives me unlimited minutes, no data and no texts but ill survive.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I've decided to use two yogurt pots and a piece of string, it gives me unlimited minutes, no data and no texts but ill survive.
The one quoted on the previous page is not too different from what I have (with the exception of international texts - I don't honestly know if mine includes that or not) but ... I know that I am guaranteed coverage for all areas in which I wish to travel (with Telus).

The interweb is replete with horror stories about how, if one uses the phone 10 m outside of their area (defined, it would appear, as a little more than their street) they are hit with huge charges.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The one quoted on the previous page is not too different from what I have (with the exception of international texts - I don't honestly know if mine includes that or not) but ... I know that I am guaranteed coverage for all areas in which I wish to travel (with Telus).

The interweb is replete with horror stories about how, if one uses the phone 10 m outside of their area (defined, it would appear, as a little more than their street) they are hit with huge charges.
Yes it seems the cellular companies are in the dark ages , bearing in mind positioning on a mobile/cell phone uses triangulation from several masts means the positioning could be out by as much as 10m so in theory you could be in coverage and get charged and Conversely you could be out of your coverage area and not be charged.

I think it's quite floored way of making a profit, there other ways that the companies could make money without alienating their customers.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:30 pm

Not a mobile experience per-say, but I have mobile Internet with three and went over my data by a couple of mega bytes and those megabytes at the over charges cost double the monthly bill for the package.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Yes it seems the cellular companies are in the dark ages , bearing in mind positioning on a mobile/cell phone uses triangulation from several masts means the positioning could be out by as much as 10m so in theory you could be in coverage and get charged and Conversely you could be out of your coverage area and not be charged.

I think it's quite floored way of making a profit, there other ways that the companies could make money without alienating their customers.
I accept that and I accept that, on my monthly contract, there is an area which, if I use the phone outside of it, I will pay a king's ransom. I am simply curious about the geographical area used by some of these cheaper than chips providers.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

There will be no issue with the phones working over here but you will not be able to use the cheaper networks such as Wind Mobile.