British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/worth-bringing-iphone-4s-782751/)

GeordieYankee Jan 6th 2013 7:14 pm

Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

My husband and I each have the iphone 4s. We have the codes to unlock the phones, but are debating whether we are better off bringing the phones with us (and then we can get Canadian sim cards when we get there), or if we would be better off selling the phones in the UK before we leave and getting new contracts/phones when we arrive? Anyone have advice on whether UK iphones work with Canadian sims or if there will be problems with this plan? Are pay as you go plans cost effective? Also, is it difficult to get phone contracts with no Canadian credit history?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!!

magnumpi Jan 6th 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Bring the phones. Get a sim from anywhere here, even eBay, as long as the phone is unlocked and takes a SIM card.

Look at this on eBay:

NEW Rogers Micro Sim Card for 3G GSM

http://bit.ly/1399eeO

Mikeypm Jan 6th 2013 7:20 pm

When I was in Vancouver last year with my other half we both had Iphone 4'S and they worked fine out there. Rather than get stuck in a long contract Id suggest unlocking your phones and getting a pay as you go sim or a sim only monthly plan

orly Jan 6th 2013 7:26 pm

Contracts here are a bit of a rip off so if you can avoid them it'll be better for you. I'm about 6 months into my contract with Bell...so only 2.5 years left. I might buy it out if I move closer to the city and then go with Wind or someone like that as I'd actually make back the buy-out in savings each month over the next couple of years.

If you do decide to sell them then you could buy a phone here outright...but you'll pay a small fortune for it. Bell for example will happily sell you a new 4S if you want...just $649.95+tax!

Your iphones should work fine so I'd advise bringing them and then getting a simple pre-paid plan from the likes of Petro Canada. For some reason they offer their own phone plans even though they're an oil company. Guessing they just piggy back on one of the big boys networks so it should work just the same. They'll not do a credit check either. http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/396.aspx

GeordieYankee Jan 6th 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, thank you for all of these replies!! We are so grateful to have insider info on this. Sounds like your advice will save us a fortune! Not to mention the benefits of facetime and skype. :) Thanks again.

Mikeypm Jan 6th 2013 8:06 pm

One thing to bear in mind whether you go pay as go or contract is that Canadian networks are not set up the same as the UK ones so you will get charged for incoming calls and texts and the data packages are not as generous.

carley_jackson Jan 6th 2013 8:20 pm

My hubby is using his iPhone 4S on Telus SIM card, works out a hell of a lot cheaper than a contract. As others have said remember Canadian companies will rip you off anyway they can so be careful with data and receiving calls/texts.

Aviator Jan 6th 2013 9:15 pm

Pay as you go cards expire here if you don't use them within a time limit (60 or 90 days I believe). If you use your phone a lot, plans are way cheaper. Plans or PAYG for iphones cost more than other phones. Fido (and others) offer free iphone 4s with a 2 year plan. The plan with Fido for iphone was $80 a month unlimited calling within Canada and 2gb of data. We ended up getting the same plan on an android for $56 a month.

oicur0t Jan 6th 2013 9:30 pm

We have the $56 fido planes. Unlimited messaging worldwide :) No fixed contract, I think a $15 cancellation fee if you want to move elsewhere.

nbnx Jan 7th 2013 6:35 pm

Bring the phones. Get monthly plans with no contract.

rich07 Jan 7th 2013 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10467531)
One thing to bear in mind whether you go pay as go or contract is that Canadian networks are not set up the same as the UK ones so you will get charged for incoming calls and texts and the data packages are not as generous.

Not all companies/ tariffs charge for incoming calls or texts. Shop around or go somewhere like the future shop where they carry all the big cell companies and see what suits your needs most.

magnumpi Jan 8th 2013 12:09 am

Originally Posted by rich07 (Post 10470109)
Not all companies/ tariffs charge for incoming calls or texts. Shop around or go somewhere like the future shop where they carry all the big cell companies and see what suits your needs most.

Exactly, Rogers do a unlimited incoming out coming and txt doo berry contract thingy all for the price of the sacrifice of a small animal, kitten or puppy for the iphone 5 i think, and the dollar amount of the debt from a small African country.:thumbup:

Here is the link

Rogerssmallanimalsacrificeplan.com

Dashie Jan 8th 2013 12:47 am

Definitely bring them. Is the unlock simple for the 4S? I was led to believe it's software downloading and then some complicated gubbins. Let me know how you get on if you can please, I'd like to do mine at some point :)

KJM Jan 8th 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 10470303)
Definitely bring them. Is the unlock simple for the 4S? I was led to believe it's software downloading and then some complicated gubbins. Let me know how you get on if you can please, I'd like to do mine at some point :)

I have a Canadian 4s Iphone, which was on a Telus contract, they unlocked it for me $50 so that I could put in a 02 uk sim card and works perfects. I have friends in Canada who have brought their unlocked phones and have no problems :)

Dashie Jan 8th 2013 11:17 am

Excellent, thank you :) just one of those kiosk places in the mall to unlock them?