Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting qualifications reconised in manitoba.

getting qualifications reconised in manitoba.

Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

roy1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting qualifications reconised in manitoba.

hi
My husband has a uk nvq level 2 in plumbing, he has had a job offer in manitoba but we are wondering how we go about getting his qualification recognised out there? I have seen online that you need 8 years work experience but he has only worked for and been doing plumbing 2 years, is there another way wecan do this?
Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting qualifications reconised in manitoba.

Search the forum for 'Red Seal'.

HTH and good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Is this even possible? For an employer to get a positive LMO they have to prove the candidate is qualified for the job. Without permission to challenge the journeyman / red seal exam then he won't be classed as a qualified plumber, and a company won't get an LMO for what, in effect, is an apprentice.

Though I would happy to be corrected.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

roy1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Is this even possible? For an employer to get a positive LMO they have to prove the candidate is qualified for the job. Without permission to challenge the journeyman / red seal exam then he won't be classed as a qualified plumber, and a company won't get an LMO for what, in effect, is an apprentice.

Though I would happy to be corrected.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I am really new to this and have only just started looking into it.
I will start from the beginning, 5 years ago he was studying carpentry and was offered a job as an apprentice for a company in Manitoba we received the LMO and were set to go, but for reasons we decided we were not ready and did not move. We have now started to look in to it again, he has changed his trade since then and has been plumbing with his nvq level 2 for 2 years now, we contacted the company in manitoba and he said he would be happy to help in any way he could to help us get out there, he said the job was still open for him to study and become a carpenter or his friend owned a plumbing company and he would be more than happy to give him a job.
I am just wondering whether the plumbing side is possible as he does not have the hours of work needed at the moment? I have just worked out and to get the 9000 hours of work needed for the red seal he would only need to work in the uk another year and half so i suppose we will have to wait before we apply if there is no other way!!!
Sorry for the long explantation, my daughter is 3 now and we are trying to work out the best way to go sooner rather than later.
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roy1987
hi
My husband has a uk nvq level 2 in plumbing, he has had a job offer in manitoba but we are wondering how we go about getting his qualification recognised out there? I have seen online that you need 8 years work experience but he has only worked for and been doing plumbing 2 years, is there another way wecan do this?
Thanks
look on the www.immigratemanitoba.com website und the job section. Punch in "plumber" , give a place in where you thing of working and it should lead you to information of what you need to do to be recognized and where to get more info