Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

winter clothing?

winter clothing?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default winter clothing?

I know its only August but we are starting to think about preparing for our first Winter in Calgary. What kind of clothing/footwear would be best, driving tips for winter roads, what we can expect, ive probably been over thinking things and started to panic a bit, but it would be nice to get some advice.
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:14 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter clothing?

Originally Posted by Martyn and Wendy
I know its only August but we are starting to think about preparing for our first Winter in Calgary. What kind of clothing/footwear would be best, driving tips for winter roads, what we can expect, ive probably been over thinking things and started to panic a bit, but it would be nice to get some advice.
Thanks in advance
You should look into getting a nice pair of gloves.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
You should look into getting a nice pair of gloves.
Mittens even. Perhaps with a string so as not to lose one.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:02 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Just enjoy summer. Worry about winter when it gets here. You will have plenty of time to shop for winter clothes, winter lasts for 6 months.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:08 am
Just Joined

MarianneCassidy is an unknown quantity at this point

What a valid important question to ask - I was thinking exactly this! You hear such horror stories about the winter it is so important to be prepared (I'm guessing). Gloves, and mittens with string - good start but what else should we expect to purchase before winter arrives?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:15 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as, unusually so for a Friday, I am neither drunk nor in a foul mood I shall attempt to answer this sensibly.

I suppose you worry about the winters because until you experience one all you hear is that it's incredibly cold.

Minus 20 and above is totally bearable (believe it or not) so it's the days of below these temps that are causing you concern.

For the bearable days - you may still want to go out and walk the dogs, take a brisk stroll etc so some big wellies (you can buy a half decent pair at Walmart rated to minus 40) for those uncleared paths will be in order. You will look at these on the shelf before the snow falls and think "I'm not wearing those i'll look like a 'tard" - then you realise everyone is wearing them and all is good!

Thermal socks or boot liners are handy too!

When I moved over I had bought a pair of cheap snow pants off of Ebay (and bloody glad I did too) the wind can get bitter and jeans just will not cut it (even with thermals on) so buy a pair of snow pants to throw over the top.

T shirt, long sleeve top, and a sweater will be good on top but a pure necessity will be a good jacket.

You don't need to spend the earth on something like Canada Goose or Spider or anything, but a decent down filled puffa jacket (one that covers ya bum!) personally I think is a must.

As the boys said - gloves, get some thermal ones or even better the sheepskin mitten type things (string optional).

Lastly the head - you may think wooly hats with the earflaps look gay as a maypole - until your ears start to drop off - seriously - everyone wears these too (I have a rather fetching one) and a scarf that you can pull up to just under your eyeballs.

If you wear too much you can always take it off - if you don't wear enough you be very cold and miserable.

All that being said on the coldest of days you will probably walk to your car, and then from the car to the store so won't even really notice what the temp is.

Spare a thought for those of us that have chores in the yard to do 365 days a year

Hope this helps - oh and the stores you can buy cheap winter gear are Walmart / Marks etc.

No point spending a fortune the first year until you experience one winter and then you can splurge on things more your style if need be
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:34 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

A bathing costume. Because like most Albertans the only significant time you'll be spending outdoors between the end of November to the middle of April will be during the week's vacation you spend in Cancun some time around mid February.

On arrival you'll be constantly advised by cradles to "embrace the winter". In reality, what this actually boils down to is acquiring a huge f**k off TV and holing yourself up in the basement and watching iced-hockey re-runs for the best part of half the year. Again if you crank the thermostat up high enough a bathing costume will suffice.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The three in one jacket I inherited from my wife's ex does the job nicely.

The outer part can be worn as a rain jacket. The inner part is good for when it's not that cold.

Both parts zipped together seem to weigh more than their individual weights combined. It does the job perfectly for me - keeps me dry and warm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Seeing as, unusually so for a Friday, I am neither drunk nor in a foul mood I shall attempt to answer this sensibly.

I suppose you worry about the winters because until you experience one all you hear is that it's incredibly cold.

Minus 20 and above is totally bearable (believe it or not) so it's the days of below these temps that are causing you concern.

Minus 20 can seem quite warm after a proper cold day - serious.

For the bearable days - you may still want to go out and walk the dogs, take a brisk stroll etc so some big wellies (you can buy a half decent pair at Walmart rated to minus 40) for those uncleared paths will be in order. You will look at these on the shelf before the snow falls and think "I'm not wearing those i'll look like a 'tard" - then you realise everyone is wearing them and all is good!

Some of us have stupid dogs that refuse to walk in rain but will happily drag oneself outside at minus 40. If looking at dog ownership, this is something to consider, if you don't want to go outside when it's proper cold, don't get a Chow

Thermal socks or boot liners are handy too!

When I moved over I had bought a pair of cheap snow pants off of Ebay (and bloody glad I did too) the wind can get bitter and jeans just will not cut it (even with thermals on) so buy a pair of snow pants to throw over the top.

My snow pants came from Sears for about $20, seriously I don't care want I look like when I'm walking the dog at minus 40.

T shirt, long sleeve top, and a sweater will be good on top but a pure necessity will be a good jacket.

You don't need to spend the earth on something like Canada Goose or Spider or anything, but a decent down filled puffa jacket (one that covers ya bum!) personally I think is a must.

I can recommend Eddie Bauer Jackets, the most affordable one would be the Yukon - saying that it seems to be called the essential this year Eddie Bauer invented the down jacket and there is a satisfaction guarantee. Also consider the downlight sweater, warmth without bulk. http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Womens-...kets/index.cat

And YES we are already seeing these in stores, there will be an 'event' in a month or so I suppose.

As the boys said - gloves, get some thermal ones or even better the sheepskin mitten type things (string optional).

Second/third this, mittens are warmer, even those $10 Olympic ones are good for just out and about.

Lastly the head - you may think wooly hats with the earflaps look gay as a maypole - until your ears start to drop off - seriously - everyone wears these too (I have a rather fetching one) and a scarf that you can pull up to just under your eyeballs.

Hats with flaps and a scarf/buff to wrap round your face when it's really cold.

If you wear too much you can always take it off - if you don't wear enough you be very cold and miserable.

Agree on this one, not nice being cold.

All that being said on the coldest of days you will probably walk to your car, and then from the car to the store so won't even really notice what the temp is.

Spare a thought for those of us that have chores in the yard to do 365 days a year

Hope this helps - oh and the stores you can buy cheap winter gear are Walmart / Marks etc.

No point spending a fortune the first year until you experience one winter and then you can splurge on things more your style if need be
Really sensible advice from the moochoppers, we are slightly further north and only get the tail end of the chinooks so our winters are slightly colder for longer periods of time imo. Layering is the key, you don't necessarily need bulk, swapping short sleeve t's to long sleeve ones is a key too. I surrendered about 3 years ago and bought some Ugg type boots, don't like them much but boy do they keep your feet warm, last winter was their last season, so I need new boots this year - note, my dog walking boots are columbia, that I bought one summer in the sale for about $20. A car starter is desirable in the really cold temps if you don't have a garage to park in.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Just enjoy summer. Worry about winter when it gets here. You will have plenty of time to shop for winter clothes, winter lasts for 6 months.
Although winter does last ages, the shops will sell out of winter clothes before you know it. I looked for lined trousers in January and couldn't find any. Shop early is my recommendation
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:08 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rich07
Although winter does last ages, the shops will sell out of winter clothes before you know it. I looked for lined trousers in January and couldn't find any. Shop early is my recommendation
We arrived on Jan 1 this year and buying winter gear was a challenge as there was hardly anything left. Hubby ended up getting a great jacket from Marks Work Warehouse with -35 comfort level. Me and the 3 kids went to Sportchek and got ski jackets and not a lot of change out of $600. We couln't find any adult snow pants for love nor money and I was not a happy bunny at the school bus stop in jeans and 2 pairs of tights on -35 mornings.

Definitely shop now! Costco have some great kids sets of jackets and pants for about 65 bucks and have been highly recommended, but they are selling out fast. Still haven't found any reasonable snow pants for us...trouble is winter clothing is not on your mind when it's so hot and sunny!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:08 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Look for outer garments that are "wind proof", well insulated and light in weight.

Boots should be insulated, waterproof and be able to grip into ice.

Also (as I discovered earlier this week) right now is a good time to buy winter gear as the stores are selling off old gear on the cheap to make room for the new lines. I just got a pair of Dakota winter/work boots (lucky to find a size that fits comfortably) for 1/3 of the price this week at Marks.

I'm almost looking forward to winter so I can wear them.

Not.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by snowcandy
We arrived on Jan 1 this year and buying winter gear was a challenge as there was hardly anything left. Hubby ended up getting a great jacket from Marks Work Warehouse with -35 comfort level. Me and the 3 kids went to Sportchek and got ski jackets and not a lot of change out of $600. We couln't find any adult snow pants for love nor money and I was not a happy bunny at the school bus stop in jeans and 2 pairs of tights on -35 mornings.

Definitely shop now! Costco have some great kids sets of jackets and pants for about 65 bucks and have been highly recommended, but they are selling out fast. Still haven't found any reasonable snow pants for us...trouble is winter clothing is not on your mind when it's so hot and sunny!
Mountain Equipment Co-Op.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks PMM, but aren't they a bit pricey? I don't need them for skiing just walking the kids to school.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Maine which gets pretty nippy. I would recommend the best quality down jackets and snow pants you can afford. You will find with kids that the warmer they are the longer they will stay playing outside! I love LLBean for the longevity and warmth factor. Spendy but you can pick up odds and ends at charity shops and that can withstand a lot of wear and tear. Enjoy your first winter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.