Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

winter clothing?

winter clothing?

Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter clothing?

Originally Posted by iaink
Kids grow out of stuff so fast its not worth spending serious money, for us consignment stores were a godsend. Better yet was the school lost property when they got rid of unclaimed stuff at the end of the year.
I agree that it isn't worth spending lots on kids winter gear - I have had mine grow out of their stuff midway through the winter...

We tend to buy our kids winter gear in Zellers/The bay towards the end of the winter when they have it all on sale at ridiculous prices - we just make sure we buy the next size up for the older ones and pass the older ones stuff down for the littlies.... Sometimes it means that the snowpants are a bit long or the boots are a bit big, but they manage.. for the boots I just get them to wear two pairs of socks....

For adults, Marks work wearhouse is good.

Gloves/mittens are the bane of my life with the kids though - We have so many missmatched ones now that towards the end of last winter I took to sending them to school with odd gloves on. Hey, at least their hands were warm even if they did moan that it was not cool...
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martyn and Wendy
Wow, I cant believe how many people have replied with helpful info, will be putting it all to good use, thankyou very much, i am definitely a little less panicy about winter. also aswell as all the great info some of you are just hilarious I enjoyed reading the posts so thanks again.
No worries. You'll do fine. Lots of good info here. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but get a timer for plugging in the cars. No need to have them plugged in all night in the deep freeze when you can set the timer to either stagger it through the night or for just a couple of hours before you'll be starting it up. Saves on the electric bills. Especially with multiple vehicles plugged in.

I had a friend from Perth who moved to Edmonton (we've basically swapped places--LOL) and the first winter she was out shovelling after every snowfall because she got a kick out of it. I warned her, hey, the novelty wears off really fast...
Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:33 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
I agree that it isn't worth spending lots on kids winter gear - I have had mine grow out of their stuff midway through the winter...

We tend to buy our kids winter gear in Zellers/The bay towards the end of the winter when they have it all on sale at ridiculous prices - we just make sure we buy the next size up for the older ones and pass the older ones stuff down for the littlies.... Sometimes it means that the snowpants are a bit long or the boots are a bit big, but they manage.. for the boots I just get them to wear two pairs of socks....

For adults, Marks work wearhouse is good.

Gloves/mittens are the bane of my life with the kids though - We have so many missmatched ones now that towards the end of last winter I took to sending them to school with odd gloves on. Hey, at least their hands were warm even if they did moan that it was not cool...
Thanks people!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:46 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Just enjoy summer. Worry about winter when it gets here. You will have plenty of time to shop for winter clothes, winter lasts for 6 months.
Thinking about it, this is a mean answer from me. I remember asking a similar question the first Aug/Sept I was here.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Thinking about it, this is a mean answer from me. I remember asking a similar question the first Aug/Sept I was here.
haha, its fine - im sure ill be the same after our first winter, we will just take it in our stride too.