Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

winter clothing?

winter clothing?

Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Re: winter clothing?

To be honest you spend half the time going from car to building so it doesn't really matter. You still see people leaving the gym in shorts in January so it's not like you're going to die or anything. The only time I really wrap up is shovelling the drive when it's REALLY cold. Good things to have are a ski-mask that just leaves your eyes exposed. That really keeps my neck/face/head warm and I wear it under a hat with ear flaps. Good sub-zero wellies/boots and some good gloves. Also a set of base layer top and bottoms (like you'd use for skiing) is good to have. You can pick up these things for cheap from WalMart or similar stores. Other than that just layer your clothes. It's really not that bad.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
To be honest you spend half the time going from car to building so it doesn't really matter. You still see people leaving the gym in shorts in January so it's not like you're going to die or anything.
Just make sure you have cold weather gear in the car in case something goes wrong and you get stuck somewhere. You really dont want to be taking any chances with mother nature here, she's a harsh mistress for the unprepared.

The wiki probably has a list of winter essentials for the car. If not there are other lists out there on the interweb.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As I keep saying, its not necessarily about the snow, its about the cold, all season rubber goes rock hard and doesnt grip well below about -10C. You can get away without, and defensive driving helps no end, but there are times when the softer rubber has paid for itself for me with avoiding near misses. I used to be blasé about winter rubber, until my (canadian) wife made me get them for her car, then I really noticed the difference for myself.
As iaink said.. its all about the rubber allseasons go hard below -10C and any grip rapidly diminishes..
A Good winter tire is will still give good grip on clean hard pavement down to about -40c
Its why you don’t run them in warmer weather because the rubber becomes so soft it just wears right off, if you’re not careful you can wear off a full season worth of winter wear in less than a month in warm weather
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most useful and practical things you can have in the winter is a "necker"... a neck warmer than can pull up over your chin , cheeks and mouth.

I don't know what they're called, I always just call it a necker.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:41 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
One of the most useful and practical things you can have in the winter is a "necker"... a neck warmer than can pull up over your chin , cheeks and mouth.

A neck warmer? You could just re-use a leg warmer from the 80's. Thrifty and warm.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

or even a "scarf"
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
A neck warmer? You could just re-use a leg warmer from the 80's. Thrifty and warm.
But then you'd have a cold leg.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:56 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
or even a "scarf"
The looter-chic look?

But then you'd have a cold leg.
True. Immigration requires sacrifice on occasion.
Attached Thumbnails winter clothing?-article-2025785-0d6cd77600000578-68_634x467.jpg  
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Snood?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Snood?

There should be some good second hand ones about now that footballers are not allowed to wear them.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean a BUFF?

http://www.buffcanada.com/

I use one, last year was the first year I got one (On sale from work). The advantage it has over a scarf is the breath ability. You don't get the condensation build up.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

I'd highly recommend a buff. They come in two varieties, normal and polar. The polar one has a tube of fleece at one end, and then the "normal" buff. I use them a lot when cycling. The normal ones are great in the sun as they keep the sun off your head and the polar ones keep your neck (and up to your nose, if you wish) nice and warm.

Well worth the money IMHO.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:22 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen snow suits for kids in Costco and been told about the ones in Walmart and the ones from Columbia.
Clearly there is a price difference but if we are hoping to be out and about (we have been invited cross country skiing this year) should we be buying the Columbia make to ensure warmth but not discomfort with being sweaty in cheap snow wear?
I havent got heaps of money, may I add

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have seen snow suits for kids in Costco and been told about the ones in Walmart and the ones from Columbia.
Clearly there is a price difference but if we are hoping to be out and about (we have been invited cross country skiing this year) should we be buying the Columbia make to ensure warmth but not discomfort with being sweaty in cheap snow wear?
I havent got heaps of money, may I add

Thanks
Not unless its the high end columbia titanium breathable stuff, which for kids it probably wont be.

Kids grow out of stuff so fast its not worth spending serious money, for us consignment stores were a godsend. Better yet was the school lost property when they got rid of unclaimed stuff at the end of the year.

I find keeping cool when X-C skiing the challenge, not keeping warm, its hard work. Its a tricky one to dress for though, layers are the key. You need something warm in case you hurt yourself, especially if heading away from the beaten track.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:35 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=iaink;9565347]

Kids grow out of stuff so fast its not worth spending serious money, for us consignment stores were a godsend. Better yet was the school lost property when they got rid of unclaimed stuff at the end of the year.

Agree, our youngest aged 7 spends every recess launching himself down snow slopes at school and hence by the end of winter had holes the knees of his snow pants. Costco will do us very nicely thank you. 17 year old on the other prefers something slightly more trendy and don't mind paying a bit extra as she can hopefully wear it for the next 10 years School Lost Property had numerous odd mittens from our househols- again not worth paying loads Walmart will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.