Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winnipeg & Suburbs

Winnipeg & Suburbs

Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg & Suburbs

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
On another point I could not belive while reading on another thread the Halifax NS has a serious crime problem........it's mile from anywhere.
The problem is that is it's miles from anywhere!

A problem with small towns is that there's nothing to do but drugs; traditionally crystal meth in the west and oxycontin (hillbilly heroin) in the east, though that's changing and even our local hardware store in Ontario photographs customers for methwatch. People have to pay for their chemicals somehow and so you get property crimes. In the big cities drug related crimes get lots of publicity but I don't know that there are more of them than in rural areas.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:02 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs B'

Many thanks for your help info and advice ALL of it is greatly appreciated.

I suppose what it all boils down to at the moment is trying to get a feel for places to see if they are somewhere we would like to live and there are obviously loads of questions to ask and things to think about.

For example I know PE Island would be a great place to live but the company I have the best feeling about is in Winnipeg. PEI has a mountain of info on the net about it (prob coz of tourists) yet unless I am totaly looking in the wrong places I can find very little on Winnipeg. I would like 100's of photos of the place like downtown, the shops, the parks, the facilities etc etc so you can see it get a feel for it ADVERTISE THE BLOODY place show and display all the fantastic areas of the city so we can see it.....

I am 100% sure it is all there these things please just someone show me the websites to find it all.

The house links are great and thank you for sending them to me. Where are you off to next then?

All of you have been fantastic in what you have provoded for us and we have spoke about making the visit in the coming months.

http://www.perceptionandaction.com/aboutWinnipeg.asp

Have found this site with good info on it.

2 Q's

1. You mentioned race problems are the locals very racist towards the native population there in Winnipeg.

2. If we go to the Theatre or a club downtown are we likely to encounter trouble or be mugged on the way home.

Frankley like I have mentioned before we could get that right here in UK so why move all that way to have the same hassle. In this instance this is where PEI has the advantage.

Cheers Dave
The racism is about as strong as chav love in the UK. 100's of Aborginal people live work in winnipeg with out most people paying much attention to there roots. The biggest dislike is the drunks and the druggies.

Are you likely to be mugged?

Don't know try the Crimestat site on the Police page But before you read these stat look up the stats for you home town so you have something to compare them to.

http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/

The population of Winchester is 111,039

Month Total number
of offences Offences per
1000 population Offences per 1000
England/Wales population
Apr-Jun 2005 1933 17.4 26.4
Jul-Sep 2005 1784 16.1 25.9
Oct-Dec 2005 1772 16.0 25.9
Jan-Mar 2006 1945 17.5 24.9

(Biiiink you live in a good area unlike me 389 to 1109 crimes...... )

Last edited by Grah; Mar 1st 2007 at 1:11 am.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:22 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Dave have you contacted the people at [url=http://www.gov.mb.ca/trade/]manitoba advantage. They deal with PNP program might be some help.

Rugby - if your really interested contact these people http://www.rugbymanitoba.com/league.php?scriptName=HOME&leagueID=11525

I did with soccer and was able to get a lot of information from people in that helped with the move.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for all the info Grah will check out all the links....I do do football as well so might take you up on any offer to visit the local club !!!

Like anywhere I suppose as I mentioned depends where you live in any city.

What it all boils down to is we proboly dont want to move to somewhere where were going to experience more problems than what we have here already.

As I also mentioned there were 2 murders within 500m or our house here in Winchester last year and another in Town...prob otheres as well.
All this in the UK's No1 place to live.

Good news on the racism don't like that at all live n let live I say.

Drunks n Druggies again like anywhere.

From what I have concluded is that the people who have responded to my questions and who ACTUALY LIVE IN WINNIPEG! say it is a great place to live with all the facilites on your doorstep you would need with great friendly people, cheaper cost of living......with your usual amount of scroats you get anywhere else but not to much bother.

The people who DONT live there tend to see it as a place they have heard bad press about and would not live there.

So therefore a visit should make up our minds which we are planning foir the near future.....Looks good for a move though.

Cheers Dave
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:08 pm
Happy in Canada.

Dave have you contacted the people at manitoba advantage. They deal with PNP program might be some help.

Rugby - if your really interested contact these people Rugby Manitoba

I did with soccer and was able to get a lot of information from people in that whiched helped with the move.

Fixed links
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grah
Dave have you contacted the people at manitoba advantage. They deal with PNP program might be some help.

Rugby - if your really interested contact these people Rugby Manitoba

I did with soccer and was able to get a lot of information from people in that whiched helped with the move.

Fixed links
Hi Grah,

Yeh I have contacted them for help and advice and they have sent me links to other various pages.

I have emails the Rugby site for Winnipeg area to see what scope there is for me to get involved once I move there so will wait out for a reply from them.

Looked at the crime stats you sent me and when you compare them to cities of nearly similar size in UK then they're no worse really than what you would expect here.

Thanks for all your help & advice & will keep you posted ref progress,

Cheers Dave
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:38 am
Just Joined

fuzzbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks,
I've just stumbled on these threads and would just like to say what a fantastic place Winnipeg is when you have children we moved here 9 years ago with 4 children ranging in age from 8 to 14 and have never felt safer the children love it and the schooling has been excellent,they have had no problems getting jobs, the mosquitoes can be bad but it is the same all over Canada,it has been a lot better since the arrival of west nile virus as the city tends to take a lot more action in the spring to get rid of the peskie little beasts.we have settled in well the city is growing and has everything here we could ever need for day trips we pop down to Grand Forks and get a taste of some U.S shopping about a 2 hour journey.There are some wonderful family neighborhoods we live in Charleswood on the river and it is great.Property prices are very reasonable here a lot better than Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto for 100,000 pounds you can buy a really nice property 3-4 bedrooms and enough ground around you to feel at peace,in the U.k you would be lucky to get a terraced house for that, we have been very lucky to have chosen this great little province overlooked by many but really worth a look by anyone who wants a bit of sophistication without the Big town problems, this by no means is a hick town but an up and coming province.As you can tell I love the place and would be more than happy to get more information to anyone who would like to consider the move here we have some really good information booklets which give tons ideas of things to do and places to see.
Hope this will help someone,when we were thinking of moving we found nothing like this it would have made it a lot easier and less nerve racking if we could have had some detailed info on things we needed to know.

Trish,

Thanks for that again.

Think the mossies could be a prob from the wifes point of view as she just gets eaten alive and I think it would drive her mad.

Apart from that tho Winnipeg looks like it has far more going for it. I used to race XCountry Skiing and this is something I REALLY am looking forward to in Canada..not the racing too old but the touring will be great and good exercise for the dog...Mad ESSpaniel.

See we CAN get a Winnipeg / Manitoba Discussion going.

Oh go on what are the other flesh eating bugs to scare her with....please tell me there are snakes!!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:01 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
Hi Folks,
I've just stumbled on these threads and would just like to say what a fantastic place Winnipeg is when you have children we moved here 9 years ago with 4 children ranging in age from 8 to 14 and have never felt safer the children love it and the schooling has been excellent,they have had no problems getting jobs, the mosquitoes can be bad but it is the same all over Canada,it has been a lot better since the arrival of west nile virus as the city tends to take a lot more action in the spring to get rid of the peskie little beasts.we have settled in well the city is growing and has everything here we could ever need for day trips we pop down to Grand Forks and get a taste of some U.S shopping about a 2 hour journey.There are some wonderful family neighborhoods we live in Charleswood on the river and it is great.Property prices are very reasonable here a lot better than Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto for 100,000 pounds you can buy a really nice property 3-4 bedrooms and enough ground around you to feel at peace,in the U.k you would be lucky to get a terraced house for that, we have been very lucky to have chosen this great little province overlooked by many but really worth a look by anyone who wants a bit of sophistication without the Big town problems, this by no means is a hick town but an up and coming province.As you can tell I love the place and would be more than happy to get more information to anyone who would like to consider the move here we have some really good information booklets which give tons ideas of things to do and places to see.
Hope this will help someone,when we were thinking of moving we found nothing like this it would have made it a lot easier and less nerve racking if we could have had some detailed info on things we needed to know.
hi fuzzbuzz....would love to pick your brains...do you mind if i private message you....cheers,howardk.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:31 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

The main areas to avoid living in is The downtown side of the West End, North of Portage Ave, West to Arlington St and north to about Logan Ave where you are then in the area known as the North End. These areas have the most poverty and crime.
But having generalised about the areas, I should say there are some fine streets there, with good affordable homes under $100,000. Winnipeg areas can vary by street quite dramatically, but it is fair to say the closer you are to the downtown the less desirable the neighborhood is.

The vast majority of the crime in Winnipeg (excluding car theft) is Baddy on Baddy, the murders, violent crime and house invasions are nearly 100% drug dealers attacking each other. "Normal" people are seldom affected by crime here.

One of the nicer areas of the City is Charleswood (South West part of the City, south of the Assiniboine River, and east of the perimeter. This is a very mixed community with both Blue and White collar types living next door to each other. Good schools, easy access to the main City and the Countryside. Houses for sale are in short supply as most people stay here. The MLS areas are 1H, 1G, 1F, and the very open and "rural" part 1N.

Tuxedo is where the wealthier people of the City live, Old money in the Wellington Cresent area, and the New money in central & south Tuxedo.

Lindenwoods is more "Corporate" with lots of people moving in and out for relocations, middle to upper management types.

River Heights is more mixed, but is definatly middle class.

Wolsley is known as the home of left wing environmentalist intellectuals, but has some lovely streets and character homes, as does River Heights by the way.

St Vital varies a lot, older homes closer to Downtown, newer homes further south, with a large shopping mall in the centre.

I could go on but it would take for ever, Winnipeg has an area to please most people.

If you want information on a specific area feel free to ask, you can PM me, or ask here.