Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winnipeg & Suburbs

Winnipeg & Suburbs

Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:38 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Red face Winnipeg & Suburbs

Winnipeg seems to be a place with lots to do....can anyone give any advice on best neighbourhoods and place to live within 30 mins drive of city.....
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg & Suburbs

I see in your other posts you're looking for a property >50yrs old. Perhaps Wolseley would suit? I couldn't live there, I like my Malathion and often

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/.../wolseley.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley,_Manitoba

Last edited by Biiiiink; Feb 24th 2007 at 3:40 pm. Reason: spellink...
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I see in your other posts you're looking for a property >50yrs old. Perhaps Wolseley would suit? I couldn't live there, I like my Malathion and often

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/.../wolseley.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley,_Manitoba
hi.....thanks for the info.....i think we have moderated our view on age of property a bit .....more interested in good neighbourhood with good schools and property...also interested in being in an area just outside winnipeg with maybe a larger lot....howardk
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:09 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We are rural (5 acres), 25 mins from Winnipeg, near Ste Anne. This is pretty central to both Steinbach, where my wife works, and Winnipeg where I work, living this far out can be a drag at times, but we are far enough that Property taxes and House prices are a lot cheaper.

Areas out of town depend heavily on your place of work if it is in Winnipeg. I work for the Royal Canadian Mint which is on the edge of the city- 25mins commute, however when I worked in downtown my commute time was doubled, that wears you down after a while, especially in winter.
Fashionable out of town places in the Eastern outskirts are Birds Hill, Oakbank and Lorette. But if you have an acreage it really doesnt matter where you are.

Darren

Originally Posted by howardk
hi.....thanks for the info.....i think we have moderated our view on age of property a bit .....more interested in good neighbourhood with good schools and property...also interested in being in an area just outside winnipeg with maybe a larger lot....howardk
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:19 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Well it depends on your money and job. Private schools and semi privates schools and the "state" school with the best academic for older kids are all in duffish neighbourhoods.

I'd say that most schools care for the pupil very well, by that I mean if you are smart and need challenges they will provide the scholarships the university level courses to the 16 & 18 year olds. Just don't slack off as it will be up to you to provided the desire.

95% of neighbourhoods have a mixture of all walks of life and cultural differences. Having said that a very few areas are Waspish due to the age of the residents.

If you are looking for the upper management types they are in West, South, East St Paul. Middle to upper a few nice area's all round the city. Middle to lower management almost everywhere. workers everywhere.

Self employed East St Paul, West St Paul, North east of the city and like Darren all round the edges.

Stonewall is supposed to have a waiting list to buy and you have about 4 hours to say I'll buy it. How true is that? pinch of salt but your rarely see a house for sale without sold on it.

What business, hobbies and other family needs do you have?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grah
Well it depends on your money and job. Private schools and semi privates schools and the "state" school with the best academic for older kids are all in duffish neighbourhoods.

I'd say that most schools care for the pupil very well, by that I mean if you are smart and need challenges they will provide the scholarships the university level courses to the 16 & 18 year olds. Just don't slack off as it will be up to you to provided the desire.

95% of neighbourhoods have a mixture of all walks of life and cultural differences. Having said that a very few areas are Waspish due to the age of the residents.

If you are looking for the upper management types they are in West, South, East St Paul. Middle to upper a few nice area's all round the city. Middle to lower management almost everywhere. workers everywhere.

Self employed East St Paul, West St Paul, North east of the city and like Darren all round the edges.

Stonewall is supposed to have a waiting list to buy and you have about 4 hours to say I'll buy it. How true is that? pinch of salt but your rarely see a house for sale without sold on it.

What business, hobbies and other family needs do you have?
hi grah...thanks for the info..interested in good state schools but will go private if necessary...we lived in a very 'proper' & 'waspish' neighbourhood in the 'right road' in london,ontario and don't particularly want that again...we are looking for a good area,probably 20-30 mins outside centre of town...need to be that sort of distance for good recreational stuff for the kids...ages 6&9..my 9 year old son plays club rugby here in NZ,also sails,windsurfs,swims competitively at club,plays basketball etc etc..typical 9 year old boy so need to continue all if possible..ideally we want to live in a community/village type location within reach of the above..work is not an issue so open to suggestions...we have also looked at nova scotia and ontario...like the look of winnipeg as a city and the 4 definite seasons...we get alot of bright sunshine here in NZ and see that winnipeg has high sunshine hours...keen to belong to a community....cheers,howardk
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:23 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

hi grah...thanks for the info..interested in good state schools but will go private if necessary...we lived in a very 'proper' & 'waspish' neighbourhood in the 'right road' in london,ontario and don't particularly want that again...we are looking for a good area,probably 20-30 mins outside centre of town...need to be that sort of distance for good recreational stuff for the kids...ages 6&9..my 9 year old son plays club rugby here in NZ,also sails,windsurfs,swims competitively at club,plays basketball etc etc..typical 9 year old boy so need to continue all if possible..ideally we want to live in a community/village type location within reach of the above..work is not an issue so open to suggestions...we have also looked at nova scotia and ontario...like the look of winnipeg as a city and the 4 definite seasons...we get alot of bright sunshine here in NZ and see that winnipeg has high sunshine hours...keen to belong to a community....cheers,howardk
Know they have swimming in the south and the Rugby field sare right in the south. But outside of town???? you'd be driving into town alot for the competitive sport. If you take up hockey or CFL you'll be traveling around the city for that.

Good places to start looking is darrens way in place called niverville
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All.

I have searched the forums for info on Winnipeg and while the City itself is mentioned a lot there is very little in-depth info on the place as a whole.

Many of the threads are started and viewed in some cases 200 – 300 times with in some cases as little as 10 posts and replies to people’s questions.

Therefore is there a major problem with Winnipeg that either nobody knows much about it or it’s a big no no of a place to go live.

Now I know there is a major problem with Mosquitoes as people have mentioned this…BUT WHERE. Is it all over the city, outside the city, in the countryside ???

According to others and newspapers there is an increasing problem with violent Drug induced Gang crime….BUT WHERE. Is it all over the city, outside the city, in the outskirts???

Some have mentioned Cheap Housing but again WHERE??? Which areas on the MLS website should we be looking at…again I have heard NEVER in a million years buy or rent in the North of the city…some have said the East of the city, who is correct??

There are others who have said it is a great place to live and sing it’s praises so if this is the case guys BIG IT UP and PLEASE provide us with all the info we need to make the decision on a move to Winnipeg.

I have been offered a good job there but also in a couple of other locations..PE Island, BColumbia and Saskatchewan so it really is getting to decision time. The best company I get a gut feeling about is Winnipeg…the best location at present I get a gut feeling about is PE Island.

Now I lived for 9 years in Northern Ireland and some people would never set foot in the place. For me it is one of the most fantastic places I have ever been and lived with fantastic people and lifestyle. However like anywhere I know the places to live there and to go or not to go, Therefore what I am trying to say is it just the bad press Winnipeg has received in the areas I have asked about and underneath the place is great OR is there really a bit of a bad story to tell there.

Our main concern is Violent Crime (Leaving that in UK)
& the wife’s is Mosquitoes and areas to live and costs

Cmon give it to us and put me straight PLEASE.

Many Thanks In advance.

Dave
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

I'm with Dave. I'm looking at either Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia. I'd heard of the bug issue as well but not the crime stats. Any extra info to help make decision would be good.

I do also plan on visiting Regina and Winnipeg to see what they are like first hand, but pre-warned is pre-armed as they say.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Hi All.

I have searched the forums for info on Winnipeg and while the City itself is mentioned a lot there is very little in-depth info on the place as a whole.

Many of the threads are started and viewed in some cases 200 – 300 times with in some cases as little as 10 posts and replies to people’s questions.

Therefore is there a major problem with Winnipeg that either nobody knows much about it or it’s a big no no of a place to go live.

Now I know there is a major problem with Mosquitoes as people have mentioned this…BUT WHERE. Is it all over the city, outside the city, in the countryside ???

According to others and newspapers there is an increasing problem with violent Drug induced Gang crime….BUT WHERE. Is it all over the city, outside the city, in the outskirts???

Some have mentioned Cheap Housing but again WHERE??? Which areas on the MLS website should we be looking at…again I have heard NEVER in a million years buy or rent in the North of the city…some have said the East of the city, who is correct??

There are others who have said it is a great place to live and sing it’s praises so if this is the case guys BIG IT UP and PLEASE provide us with all the info we need to make the decision on a move to Winnipeg.

I have been offered a good job there but also in a couple of other locations..PE Island, BColumbia and Saskatchewan so it really is getting to decision time. The best company I get a gut feeling about is Winnipeg…the best location at present I get a gut feeling about is PE Island.

Now I lived for 9 years in Northern Ireland and some people would never set foot in the place. For me it is one of the most fantastic places I have ever been and lived with fantastic people and lifestyle. However like anywhere I know the places to live there and to go or not to go, Therefore what I am trying to say is it just the bad press Winnipeg has received in the areas I have asked about and underneath the place is great OR is there really a bit of a bad story to tell there.

Our main concern is Violent Crime (Leaving that in UK)
& the wife’s is Mosquitoes and areas to live and costs

Cmon give it to us and put me straight PLEASE.

Many Thanks In advance.

Dave
Hi there

Like the comment re NI - I grew up there and would've happily gone back to live there (from Scotland) if I hadn't been granted a PR visa for Canada.

I live 5 hours from Winnipeg, my nearest 'big' city, and have been there a few times. From what I've seen it's just like any similar sized city in the UK (circa 600,000) - good areas and bad areas. I've heard that the north end is a no no, but there are good areas as well to provide balance.

It is a city that doesn't seem to 'advertise' itself well in the great scheme of Canada as a whole, but certainly has a lot going on in the various communities. I often watch the news at 6pm (our 'local' news is from Winnipeg) and wish I could get into the city more often to take part in the various activities advertised.

As for shopping, it has all the usual big name stores you'll find everywhere else in Canada.

There are a few expats in the city - scimdarren, grah and Biiiink are some who spring to mind.

The only downside for me is travel - Winnipeg airport doesn't seem to have a lot of direct flights to anywhere outside of Canada, except Cuba and Mexico in the winter and a direct to London with Zoom in the summer. Most travel to other parts of the world involve routing through Toronto, so holidays can be expensive. However, Canada is such a huge diverse country I'll probably travel within the country for the next holiday I take!

Not a huge amount of info, but my general impression of the place. Hope it helps.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TrishB
Hi there

Like the comment re NI - I grew up there and would've happily gone back to live there (from Scotland) if I hadn't been granted a PR visa for Canada.

I live 5 hours from Winnipeg, my nearest 'big' city, and have been there a few times. From what I've seen it's just like any similar sized city in the UK (circa 600,000) - good areas and bad areas. I've heard that the north end is a no no, but there are good areas as well to provide balance.

It is a city that doesn't seem to 'advertise' itself well in the great scheme of Canada as a whole, but certainly has a lot going on in the various communities. I often watch the news at 6pm (our 'local' news is from Winnipeg) and wish I could get into the city more often to take part in the various activities advertised.

As for shopping, it has all the usual big name stores you'll find everywhere else in Canada.

There are a few expats in the city - scimdarren, grah and Biiiink are some who spring to mind.

The only downside for me is travel - Winnipeg airport doesn't seem to have a lot of direct flights to anywhere outside of Canada, except Cuba and Mexico in the winter and a direct to London with Zoom in the summer. Most travel to other parts of the world involve routing through Toronto, so holidays can be expensive. However, Canada is such a huge diverse country I'll probably travel within the country for the next holiday I take!

Not a huge amount of info, but my general impression of the place. Hope it helps.
Hi Trish,

Any info is great as like I said there seems to be alot of mentions regarding Winnipeg but not a lot info if that makes sense and you have provided some good things there so thanks.

As for flights the last thing I want is easy access for the family from UK to visit us...is that cruel ?? so the harder the better...and Cuba sounds great it was next on our list of places to visit...Venezuela last year and Angel falls and Amazon caneoing...so a rest would be nice

Think were torn now between Winnipeg & PE Island. Well at least were down to 2 places now.

Cheers Dave
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Think were torn now between Winnipeg & PE Island. Well at least were down to 2 places now.
Winnipeg has an airport but few flights. Does PEI even have an airport?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trish,

Any info is great as like I said there seems to be alot of mentions regarding Winnipeg but not a lot info if that makes sense and you have provided some good things there so thanks.

As for flights the last thing I want is easy access for the family from UK to visit us...is that cruel ?? so the harder the better...and Cuba sounds great it was next on our list of places to visit...Venezuela last year and Angel falls and Amazon caneoing...so a rest would be nice

Cheers Dave
I havent been to PEI, but from what Ive heard it shuts in the winter! Winter is a dead cert in Winterpeg every year, so there is a lot going on - I just had a friend over from the UK for a few weeks and we went XC skiing, snowshoeing, skating and Nordic walking just about everyday, the sky was blue and the sun shone. Many people get hung up on the temperature, but as long as you cover up exposed skin, its OK - it is a dry cold rather than the damp cold of the UK and I love it! In fact I moved house a few weeks ago on the coldest day of the year - it was -37 with a windchill down to -48! Brrrrrr.

Availability and choice of jobs would be better in Winnipeg too.

As for mosquitos, they are truly evil! I had horrible reactions to bites last year, but have been assured that it gets better as my virgin British skin slowly becomes Canadian!! Antihistamines were a Godsend last summer, hehehehe!!However, I wouldnt let mosquitos put you off - theres much worse bugs ......
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Winnipeg has an airport but few flights. Does PEI even have an airport?
http://www.flypei.com/

Places like Toronto / Montreal / Halifax

So yeh unfortunately the family maybe able to get there quicker and easier than Winnipeg apart from the Zoom direct flights when ever they go...

Drat n Double Drat

OH Yeh and a great big long bridge that takes 10 mins to cross and costs $40.00
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TrishB
I havent been to PEI, but from what Ive heard it shuts in the winter! Winter is a dead cert in Winterpeg every year, so there is a lot going on - I just had a friend over from the UK for a few weeks and we went XC skiing, snowshoeing, skating and Nordic walking just about everyday, the sky was blue and the sun shone. Many people get hung up on the temperature, but as long as you cover up exposed skin, its OK - it is a dry cold rather than the damp cold of the UK and I love it! In fact I moved house a few weeks ago on the coldest day of the year - it was -37 with a windchill down to -48! Brrrrrr.

Availability and choice of jobs would be better in Winnipeg too.

As for mosquitos, they are truly evil! I had horrible reactions to bites last year, but have been assured that it gets better as my virgin British skin slowly becomes Canadian!! Antihistamines were a Godsend last summer, hehehehe!!However, I wouldnt let mosquitos put you off - theres much worse bugs ......
Trish,

Thanks for that again.

Think the mossies could be a prob from the wifes point of view as she just gets eaten alive and I think it would drive her mad.

Apart from that tho Winnipeg looks like it has far more going for it. I used to race XCountry Skiing and this is something I REALLY am looking forward to in Canada..not the racing too old but the touring will be great and good exercise for the dog...Mad ESSpaniel.

See we CAN get a Winnipeg / Manitoba Discussion going.

Oh go on what are the other flesh eating bugs to scare her with....please tell me there are snakes!!!

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Feb 27th 2007 at 2:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.