Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wine Collection

Wine Collection

Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wine Collection

Originally Posted by The TWs
Are they only for Ont? Anyone know any good places in BC for wine?
Vintages is just the posh version of LCBO - slightly wider selection, slightly more knowledgeable staff. The BC equivalent would be the "signature" BC Liquor stores - list is here
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Maybe wine's cheap in Alberta

I don't think so - but then I am happy with a fairly cheap selection and I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms here !
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:07 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

They send out a very nice magazine announcing their next releases, it let's you prepare for their release, the good ones go very quickly.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Only THREE times?
Every time I think "surely that'll do 'til the weekend" but it doesn't. Someone in this house drinks a lot.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:46 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

dbd33, one trick I learned was to buy some wines in the $50 range, it makes them difficult just to quaff.

i have about a dozen Cognacs and Scotches bought when they were a 1/4 of what they are now, I just can't bring myself to open a $400 bottle.

My Dom cost me $50, now it's $200, the kids will have a nice selection when they set themselves up and No , I won't adopt you.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Hmm, so you lied your way in, just what kind of Immigrants are we attracting anymore

Truth, you could probably buy any of the wines you brought, cheaper from the US or even Canada.

I have over 200 Bottles in my Wine Cellar, I am able to get any I need through Vintages or the occasional US Trips..
Due to the strict government/provincial controls the wine you can get in Canada is overpriced and the choice is minimal. Despite the fact that California is much closer to Ottawa than the UK the same wine will be cheaper in the UK than here. And the wine I brought over is priced at about $1000.00US per bottle, can’t even find it in Canada.

That's interesting, thanks for posting. What was the breakdown of the charges - what for what volume? We will bottle a hogshead of whisky in a few years and I worry that the import costs will probably bankrupt us!
At the LCBO we had to pay $1.00 per 750ml bottle plus 6% GST and $0.20 deposit per 750ml bottle. With the 11 bottles (declared) this was $13.86.

At the customs office we paid about $40.00 import duty (I can’t find the paperwork for the exact amount). This was based on the value of the wine. It was basically GST & PST. Again I was not forthcoming with the value of the wine. That’s one good thing about bringing in wine not available in Canada. The customs officers can’t readily establish its true value. Not that they looked like the even cared.

Russ...
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

http://www.opim.ca/

For those who love the Grape
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:16 pm
Banned

Russel, the LCBO in Collingwood is the size of a Basket Ball Court, how much choice do you need??

I don't buy US Wines, but if I wanted more selection, the States is only a couple of hours drive.

I am not into overly priced Bordeaux's, I prefer New World Reds, and I have no problemo finding interesting choices under $20.

I have about 30 French that will go to my son when he sets up his place, start him off right.

Do you decant your wine , let it breath for about an hour.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueRussell
At the customs office we paid about $40.00 import duty (I can’t find the paperwork for the exact amount). This was based on the value of the wine. It was basically GST & PST. Again I was not forthcoming with the value of the wine. That’s one good thing about bringing in wine not available in Canada. The customs officers can’t readily establish its true value. Not that they looked like the even cared.

Russ...
As with all things government it all depends. A French restaurant we used to go to (Select Bistro on the up itself bit of Queen) moved. Somehow the act of moving meant that the wine in the cellar nominally arrived in Ontario at the moment of moving (presumably the wine had been in the cellar since before the current laws). The owner had to pay the duties on the wines based on their value and, when I lost track of the story, was faced with having to pour away the bottles for which no current retail value could be established. Priceless and valueless are synonyms here.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I am not into overly priced Bordeaux's, I prefer New World Reds, and I have no problemo finding interesting choices under $20.
The complaint is that the same wines are under $10 elsewhere in the world. I had to laugh at a wine I know to cost $22 at the LCBO being $6 at a gas station in Nebraska. Bon vivants all, them Nebraskans.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future

Russel, the LCBO in Collingwood is the size of a Basket Ball Court, how much choice do you need??

I don't buy US Wines, but if I wanted more selection, the States is only a couple of hours drive.

I have about 30 French that will go to my son when he sets up his place, start him off right.

Do you decant your wine , let it breath for about an hour.
The LCBO is a monopoly and therefore no competition results in high prices. As for choice, if the LCBO in Collingwood is the same as in Ottawa then a basket ball sized store just means there will be lots of the wines it does have. This isn’t the same as having lots of variety.

But anyway, as I don’t particularly like wine (apart from dessert wine) the limited choice isn’t really an issue. Though I can’t see why the purchase of alcohol cannot be conducted in a supermarket.

Cheers

Russ...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:50 am
Banned

The distribution of Beer and Alcohol in Ontario makes no sense, it is costly and totally inefficient, but successive Governments are afraid to take on the challenge of the unions.

We can only hope that at some time sanity will rule and distribution will be along European lines.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We can only hope that at some time sanity will rule and distribution will be along European lines.
Don't hold out for beer in McDonalds...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

We've taken to buying nongrape wine from the Buckhorn Winery (by we, I mean me, as OH doesnt drink) They make some pretty good wines there, plum, raspberry, goldenrod and my favourite - frosted pumpkin. Though I have had to complain about that on several occasions as it seems to give you a headache the next day..................
http://www.kawarthacountrywines.ca/winery.html

Last edited by daft batty; Jul 19th 2007 at 1:05 pm. Reason: wrong name
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

The distribution of Beer and Alcohol in Ontario makes no sense, it is costly and totally inefficient, but successive Governments are afraid to take on the challenge of the unions.

you mean delivered in crates milkman style? excellent!