Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wine Collection

Wine Collection

Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wine Collection

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Have you any idea what the import duty would be? We've got some wine we would like to bring and would consider paying the duty. We'll have to start our own vineyard - it's the only solution! The price of wine is one of the very few drawbacks to Canada IMO!

I am also interested in this as a topic.

Hubby is a huge whiskey drinker and we have a number of brand new fine malts that he has had bought for him and didnt have the time to drink them. Would be a same to have to throw them away or give them away and I dont like them

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

I had also wondered about this topic as we have quite a few bottles including a few bottles of Baileys I bought at Christmas (saw it on special offer in the supermarket so stocked up thinking we would drink it and didn't). I had read that you couldn't put it in the container or if you brought it you had to pay import duty. Had thought of just bringing a bottle with me in the hand luggage, but then realised that they would take it off me as we went into Customs - it was bad enough having to hand over a full bottle of water last time we flew, it would break my heart handing over a full bottle of Baileys!! So we have resigned ourselves to inviting all our friends round before we move for a big "drink-up"
Lisa
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The TWs
This is amazing - how did you do it?

OH has a small wine cellar and whiskey collection that we wanted to bring over but were told no. I also checked with the BC liquor board and was told the import duty would be rediculously high.

I'm dying to know how you did it - this would make us incredibly happy!

(Not to mention stop us from being impoverished by our wine habit - paid $40 for a £7 bottle of wine last time we were there!!!)
Diplomatic status. Souvette is in the Canadian military and spent 4 years in the UK on what was effectively a diplomatic posting (that's how I met her). Diplomats can buy booze duty free and ship it back to Canada duty free. We'd have bought more but we'd have had to pay for exceeding our weight allowance.

The shippers didn't seem at all concerned to be loading cases of booze into the container. Then again, the company does a lot of work for embassies in London. I guess the rules are different.

Small amounts of naughties can find their way into the container, despite what the shipping company says. When we made our last move (GTA to Gatineau) the shippers told us that they couldn't pack stuff like chemicals, open bottles etc. We said OK we'll take it up in the car. When they'd finished packing the boxes (the movers were coming next day), the gaffer trousered the assortment of bank notes I had offered and came back a few minutes later with some boxes, tape etc "just in case they'd forgotten to pack something ". Which, of course, they had.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Hooray!!!

After much digging and being told that of course I can bring wine over for free - I have discovered the truth!!

I spoke to the BC Liquor Board (so this might not be true everywhere might be worth checking) and here is what they said:

Dear Sir\Madam

When returning to Canada, you are not restricted to the amount of wine and spirits you bring back. The provisions are that you have been out of the Country for at least one year and the product has been in your possession for at least six months prior to leaving however, the products are dutiable.

At the present time the total amount payable for both federal and provincial charges are as follows:

Sparkling Wine $3.00 per bottle
Fortified Wine $3.00 per bottle
Table Wine $2.00 per bottle
Spirits $8.00 per bottle

These figures are based on a .750 litre bottle and they would be slightly higher for a larger sized bottle. The G.S.T. and P.S.T. are included in these charges.

HOORAY! I'm attaching the letter as well. Although it says for returning residents (which is what I am, although my husband is immigrating) the guy at the branch told me its the same for immigrants!

Hope that makes some of you as happy as its made me!!!

Emily
Attached Files
File Type: doc
settler form letter.doc.1.doc (524.5 KB, 188 views)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
Hooray!!!

After much digging and being told that of course I can bring wine over for free - I have discovered the truth!!

I spoke to the BC Liquor Board (so this might not be true everywhere might be worth checking) and here is what they said:

Dear Sir\Madam

When returning to Canada, you are not restricted to the amount of wine and spirits you bring back. The provisions are that you have been out of the Country for at least one year and the product has been in your possession for at least six months prior to leaving however, the products are dutiable.

At the present time the total amount payable for both federal and provincial charges are as follows:

Sparkling Wine $3.00 per bottle
Fortified Wine $3.00 per bottle
Table Wine $2.00 per bottle
Spirits $8.00 per bottle

These figures are based on a .750 litre bottle and they would be slightly higher for a larger sized bottle. The G.S.T. and P.S.T. are included in these charges.

HOORAY! I'm attaching the letter as well. Although it says for returning residents (which is what I am, although my husband is immigrating) the guy at the branch told me its the same for immigrants!

Hope that makes some of you as happy as its made me!!!

Emily
Hi Emily

Can you believe that I had exactly the same email yesterday after waiting several weeks for a reply! I was just about to post it but you beat me to it!

Cheers

Jo
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blueRussell
Can anyone help?

I have a collection of wine I want to take to Canada when my wife & I move in June? There are only about 27 bottles at the moment (though I may be able to reduce this number ) but they are quite valuable.

As they are far too good to offer to any guests that may visit our new house I can assure any customs official that they will be for personal use only.

Will I be liable for any import duty?

Cheers

Russ…

Well, we’re here in Ottawa now and this is what happened.

Firstly the four most expensive bottles were brought over as duty-free hand luggage. We were not questioned about the wine so didn’t have to lie as to its value. We listed the rest on our list of goods to follow.

When our goods to follow arrived we had to clear them through customs. We were told by the customs officer that we had two choices. Firstly we could complete the import of the wine at the customs office where it would cost approximately $150.00 in duty. Or we could go to the LCBO (it has to be the one at Bank & Walkley) where they will calculate the import duty on the volume of wine. Then the customs office will calculate some other taxes based on the value of the wine.

We chose the second option as we lied about the value of the wine. We ended up paying about $48.00 in total.

We didn’t mention the other wine that somehow found its way here.

Russ...

Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:59 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Hmm, so you lied your way in, just what kind of Immigrants are we attracting anymore

Truth, you could probably buy any of the wines you brought, cheaper from the US or even Canada.

I have over 200 Bottles in my Wine Cellar, I am able to get any I need through Vintages or the occasional US Trips..
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, thanks for posting. What was the breakdown of the charges - what for what volume? We will bottle a hogshead of whisky in a few years and I worry that the import costs will probably bankrupt us!

Originally Posted by blueRussell

Well, we’re here in Ottawa now and this is what happened.

Firstly the four most expensive bottles were brought over as duty-free hand luggage. We were not questioned about the wine so didn’t have to lie as to its value. We listed the rest on our list of goods to follow.

When our goods to follow arrived we had to clear them through customs. We were told by the customs officer that we had two choices. Firstly we could complete the import of the wine at the customs office where it would cost approximately $150.00 in duty. Or we could go to the LCBO (it has to be the one at Bank & Walkley) where they will calculate the import duty on the volume of wine. Then the customs office will calculate some other taxes based on the value of the wine.

We chose the second option as we lied about the value of the wine. We ended up paying about $48.00 in total.

We didn’t mention the other wine that somehow found its way here.

Russ...

Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Howard1944;5066994]

Truth, you could probably buy any of the wines you brought, cheaper from the US or even Canada.
QUOTE]

Where do you buy your wine?!?!? Some of the wines we are bringing sell for £7 here but around $40 there!!!! YIKES!!!! Thats a huge difference even after the exchange rate!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We landed in Vancouver in May.
You can only use your 1.5litre allowance if you bring it in as hand luggage.
You can bring in more than that in your container, but you must itemise what you've got by the bottle, where you bought it from, and approximate value. You must also show where it's located in your shipment.
We were charged $95 for a liquor licence and then had to pay an amount per bottle. Wasn't a lot, a few dollars a bottle from memory (I'll try and find the paperwork). Our shipping agent sorted the liquor licence with customs when we arrived.
Depends on the value of the booze whether it's worth doing.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Maybe wine's cheap in Alberta, in Ontario it's expensive and the selection is limited. Unbelieveably, wine retailing is a nationalised monopoly.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:17 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

http://vintages.com/

Get on their mailing List.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are they only for Ont? Anyone know any good places in BC for wine?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For what I need their list? I'm in the store three times a week.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
For what I need their list? I'm in the store three times a week.
Only THREE times?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.