Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wine Collection

Wine Collection

Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future
Default Wine Collection

Can anyone help?

I have a collection of wine I want to take to Canada when my wife & I move in June? There are only about 27 bottles at the moment (though I may be able to reduce this number ) but they are quite valuable.

As they are far too good to offer to any guests that may visit our new house I can assure any customs official that they will be for personal use only.

Will I be liable for any import duty?

Cheers

Russ…
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wine Collection

Originally Posted by blueRussell
Can anyone help?

I have a collection of wine I want to take to Canada when my wife & I move in June? There are only about 27 bottles at the moment (though I may be able to reduce this number ) but they are quite valuable.

As they are far too good to offer to any guests that may visit our new house I can assure any customs official that they will be for personal use only.

Cheers

Russ…

I'm not entirely sure, but I thought I read on here a while ago that there is a tax of some kind for importing liquor. I'm sure someone who knows the answer will post soon.

I'm sure some of us could help you out with dispensing of your collection if need be
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:53 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to import 1.5 litres of wine duty free.

If you do bring it, I suspect you'll need to bring it in your checked luggage, in the hold of the plane. I have never heard of removalists who have been willing to ship liquids.

On a travel discussion forum on which I participate I have seen posts by travellers who have had suitcases that have been specially fitted for the purpose of carrying wine bottles. They use some sort of material -- I forget what, maybe styrofoam -- to prevent the bottles from banging against each other during the flight.

There's a link to the relevant Canadian government website in the Goods To Follow article in the BE Wiki.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I'm not entirely sure, but I thought I read on here a while ago that there is a tax of some kind for importing liquor. I'm sure someone who knows the answer will post soon.

I'm sure some of us could help you out with dispensing of your collection if need be
I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that says you will be charged excise duty or some such, but in practice it all depends on your customs agent and how good they are feeling about the world on the day they clear your shipment. We had the contents of a drinks cabinet and about two dozen or so bottles of wine in our container, declared as such on the manifest (along the lines of "boxes xxx-yyy, assorted wines and spirits, 40 bottles, some opened") and nobody batted an eyelid...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I have never heard of removalists who have been willing to ship liquids.
Allied Pickfords. It didn't even come up in conversation as a potential problem.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Russ…
Ok so you leave in June thats roughly 10 weeks away ........ so only 2.7 bottles a week to get through .
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:17 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

All the shipping companies we have had in have said booze on the container is a definite no no.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Allied Pickfords. It didn't even come up in conversation as a potential problem.
Maybe the Canadian destination and the time of year are relevant.

The day the removalists packed our household goods onto a Houston-bound truck on a December 1995 day, the temperature was -32 deg C. Naturally they had to keep a door into/out of the house open, and it got cold inside. We had to wear our parkas and winter boots indoors, and we had to keep taps trickling so that the water in the pipes wouldn't freeze.

From Houston we moved to Melbourne, and then we returned to Calgary in January 2000.

Neither during our winter move out of Calgary nor during our winter move back to Calgary would any removalists discuss the topic of including wine in our shipments.

I see blueRussell is moving to Ottawa in June, so that probably bodes well.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:23 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We brought over 1 litre of Vodka and a malt whisky in our container and was charged approx 15 GBP cos OH declared it
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gloveman
All the shipping companies we have had in have said booze on the container is a definite no no.
The shippers that moved us didn't seem at all worried about roughly 150 bottles of wine and spirits.......
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:52 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Russ…

If you declare it all yes.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:54 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Maybe the Canadian destination and the time of year are relevant.

The day the removalists packed our household goods onto a Houston-bound truck on a December 1995 day, the temperature was -32 deg C. Naturally they had to keep a door into/out of the house open, and it got cold inside. We had to wear our parkas and winter boots indoors, and we had to keep taps trickling so that the water in the pipes wouldn't freeze.

From Houston we moved to Melbourne, and then we returned to Calgary in January 2000.

Neither during our winter move out of Calgary nor during our winter move back to Calgary would any removalists discuss the topic of including wine in our shipments.

I see blueRussell is moving to Ottawa in June, so that probably bodes well.

Judy,

We moved from UK in Feb.
Goods arrived march\april.
Shipment contained the permited amount of alcohol (oh and a 'little' more as well)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:31 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Russ…
All the removal companies we dealt with also said taking booze was a no no, so my advice is to have a good party and treat all those friends that you will not be seeing for some time, after all 27 bottles wont go far (or at least not in this house, certainly wouldnt last a month!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The shippers that moved us didn't seem at all worried about roughly 150 bottles of wine and spirits.......
This is amazing - how did you do it?

OH has a small wine cellar and whiskey collection that we wanted to bring over but were told no. I also checked with the BC liquor board and was told the import duty would be rediculously high.

I'm dying to know how you did it - this would make us incredibly happy!

(Not to mention stop us from being impoverished by our wine habit - paid $40 for a £7 bottle of wine last time we were there!!!)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
This is amazing - how did you do it?

OH has a small wine cellar and whiskey collection that we wanted to bring over but were told no. I also checked with the BC liquor board and was told the import duty would be rediculously high.

I'm dying to know how you did it - this would make us incredibly happy!

(Not to mention stop us from being impoverished by our wine habit - paid $40 for a £7 bottle of wine last time we were there!!!)
Have you any idea what the import duty would be? We've got some wine we would like to bring and would consider paying the duty. We'll have to start our own vineyard - it's the only solution! The price of wine is one of the very few drawbacks to Canada IMO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.