Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:57 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice
Default Re: Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
4 liter of milk in Canada for 3.97? Where?

In Vancouver where I am, I am usually paying around 4.97 to 5.25 for 4 liters of milk, even in Ontario where I lived it pushed 5 dollars for 4 liters.
Shoppers Drug Mart, Freshco, Wal-Mart, that's in the area I live, a few convenience stores around that mark too. I'm sure other areas of Canada are more expensive. some of the stores round here are, Vince's Deli, Zehr's around here are.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Y...people have mentioned the President's Choice Extra old cheddar as an affordable decent option - I've tried it and it's OK.
Ditto Cracker Barrel and Armstrong extra

I'd be interested to know what generally qualifies as "old" and "extra old" because I have bought Baldersons 2 & 3 year old and found it no stronger than Cracker Barrel extra.

Funny thing, I've had marble cheese slabs with more flavour than ordinary 'old' slabs. Not stronger, just more taste.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ditto Cracker Barrel and Armstrong extra

I'd be interested to know what generally qualifies as "old" and "extra old" because I have bought Baldersons 2 & 3 year old and found it no stronger than Cracker Barrel extra.

Funny thing, I've had marble cheese slabs with more flavour than ordinary 'old' slabs. Not stronger, just more taste.
Oh the cheese age thing is weird. Cheddar cheddar isn't aged for so long and tastes much stronger. Really oidd. Anyway we have somePC extra old in the fridge right niw. Last week I has some Quebec cheddar from Costco that was great, crumbly with the salt crystals. Very good stuff.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russellg
Sorry but you are wrong. Tesco semi skimmed is £1.99 for a 6 pint bottle which is 58p/litre.
No, I am not.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=257265436

Here is semi-skimmed milk which is £1.39 for 2.2L which works out to be $2.24CDN:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=254656543

I can walk into Walmart, Shopper's Drug, Sobeys, Freshco, etc. and buy 4L of milk for $3.97.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen loads in the last 18 months. Given the fact I'm only over for 10 days every 6 weeks I find it worrying.
I drive in southern Ontario every day of the week and have done for years and I do not see these unsafe cars you are so convinced exist.

Based on my own anecdotal evidence I would estimate that about a quarter of the cars I've seen on the road require some work to make them what I would consider road worthy
I think that estimate is ridiculous.

and maybe a quarter of those should really be sent to the crusher.

And that is even more ridiculous.

Coupled with the amount of tailgating and poor driving (I have to say that people in ON generally use their indicators though) does make you worry when out in the car.
You sound overly paranoid and perhaps should just not bother driving here.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I drive in southern Ontario every day of the week and have done for years and I do not see these unsafe cars you are so convinced exist.

+1 to all your answers.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
4 liter of milk in Canada for 3.97? Where?

In Vancouver where I am, I am usually paying around 4.97 to 5.25 for 4 liters of milk, even in Ontario where I lived it pushed 5 dollars for 4 liters.

Sobeys, Walmart, Shopper's Drug, Freshco, etc. all day, every day.

I have lived in Ontario for years and never once saw milk at $5 unless you were looking for some specific organic milk or some other sort of 'special' milk or were shopping at a variety store or something.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

russellg is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of unsafe skips on the road, certainly round St Catharines. Other people on here have seen the same. I have eyes, I've been driving for over 20 years and I've driven all sorts of cars from old bangers (which I've spent plenty of time taking apart and rebuilding) to brand new cars. I have looked at the secondhand dealers down Hartzel Road and some of the cars for sale on those lots are scary. But again looking at the more expensive used cars (and on the face of it there are plenty of decent cars for $20k), if they want to see my filthy lucre then I would want to see some (preferably full) service history. I wouldn't dream of dropping over £12k on a car in the UK without FSH (preferably with invoices). Is that too much to ask? If this the paranoia you refer to? Come on hard man, lets have it!
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Happen to know of any in the St Catharines/Niagara Falls area? I've not found one yet (at least one I feel comfortable with) and without service histories I am unwilling to commit serious money to a car. I wouldn't dream of spending a lot of money on a car in the UK without some evidence that the car has had maintenance, i'm not about to start in Canada.
We bought a car from JP Motors in Burlington when we came in 2004. We saw the ad on the Internet and took the print out around a couple of other dealers to see if they had anything similar. The other dealers said it wasn't possible to sell that car at the price advertised and told us that when we got there we would get the 'we just sold that one yesterday, but we have this one only $2000 more' story. However when we got there they gave us a choice of three similar models, for that price. We still have that car 9 years later and it is still going strong. We bought another one from them a couple of months later which also served us well, but we don't still have that. Check them out, it's not far from you.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

No, I am not.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=257265436

Here is semi-skimmed milk which is £1.39 for 2.2L which works out to be $2.24CDN:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=254656543

I can walk into Walmart, Shopper's Drug, Sobeys, Freshco, etc. and buy 4L of milk for $3.97.
You are wrong! You started of saying milk was £1.99 for 2L in Tesco, which you have just demonstrated was a load of old pony.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Cheddar on there is around 8 pounds a kilo, here it's at least $20.

LaughingCows cheese wedges. GBP1.35 for 6, here around $6

Butter, 1.60 GPB. here $5.

3.4 litres of whole milk, 1.99 GPB.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1315665/
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That's "Cravendale" which is premium priced as it is extra filtered. Milk in Britain is typically 50-70p per litre at present (usually 60p).
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We bought a car from JP Motors in Burlington when we came in 2004. We saw the ad on the Internet and took the print out around a couple of other dealers to see if they had anything similar. The other dealers said it wasn't possible to sell that car at the price advertised and told us that when we got there we would get the 'we just sold that one yesterday, but we have this one only $2000 more' story. However when we got there they gave us a choice of three similar models, for that price. We still have that car 9 years later and it is still going strong. We bought another one from them a couple of months later which also served us well, but we don't still have that. Check them out, it's not far from you.
I had a look up at JP Motors last week. They had a Subaru Legacy which looked decent but the drivers seat was falling apart (drove okay though).
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sobeys, Walmart, Shopper's Drug, Freshco, etc. all day, every day.

I have lived in Ontario for years and never once saw milk at $5 unless you were looking for some specific organic milk or some other sort of 'special' milk or were shopping at a variety store or something.
I lived in a small town in Ontario which may have made the prices higher, no wal-mart, sobeys etc in town, just a metro, flying tiger, and some smaller stores. But milk was certainly not that cheap....

I am surprised you can find milk that cheap, certainly not like that out west.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The item that I do find expensive in Canada is sliced bread. £1-1.50 for a Warburtons or Hovis wholemeal loaf, whereas I seem to recall similar being north of $4 in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.