Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice
Default Re: Why is second-hand stuff here so expensive?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Bananas. $0.95 /lb in Loblaws/Sobeys. $0.79 /lb in Irving Gas Stations.
Buy your bananas when you fill up. Oh yes, and milk is cheapest at Irving on a 2fer deal.
This is why one can't compare the cost of things between countries when there is such a difference between provinces (or states in the USA) and even in different parts of a province. I have never seen bananas cost more than 79 cents in any store in the GTA or even in cottage country.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well one thing is for sure, I bet the bridge over the Skagit River wouldn't have collapsed recently if it was an international bridge.
I loved the "international bridges" which people in houses bordering Point Roberts had created out of single planks of wood. Only a drainage ditch at the end of their gardens separated them from the United States and the piece of wood enabled them to cross over (illegally). Building cost: about $5 plus HST!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeraboam
I loved the "international bridges" which people in houses bordering Point Roberts had created out of single planks of wood. Only a drainage ditch at the end of their gardens separated them from the United States and the piece of wood enabled them to cross over (illegally). Building cost: about $5 plus HST!
There used to be an ice cream truck that would pull up at the east beach in Point Roberts by the border, was very common for Canadians just to walk across the line, get an ice cream then walk back. Since the border tightening however that's all changed and if you walk across there and get caught you can get in serious trouble.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:40 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by AllyS
Discuss
Thrift shops I find not expensive and much is decent, value village, salvation army etc, toys etc, compare that to the UK at least most of it is clean here too.

Cars, not that cheap second hand unless it is ready for the dump. Even worse is buying a second hand car from a dealer, now that's a rip off.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:47 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supermum1
Even worse is buying a second hand car from a dealer, now that's a rip off.
Why? They have to make a living/profit. If the price doesn't meet your expectation of value, don't buy it. It's only a rip off if you pay more than you perceive it to be worth, and you've only yourself to blame for that.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:18 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by R I C H
Why? They have to make a living/profit. If the price doesn't meet your expectation of value, don't buy it. It's only a rip off if you pay more than you perceive it to be worth, and you've only yourself to blame for that.
That's why I haven't, not recently anyway, I did once, the 2nd car I owned over here but haven't made that mistake again. I prefer autotrader much as I did in the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's odd.

I've never seen them but I wondered if Hot Pockets were actually Hot Stuffs. Googling does suggest Hot Pockets are the same as Crustinis, but I really do doubt that.
I'm absolutely 100% certain that Hot Pockets and Stouffer's Bistro Crustinis are the same thing, they're both Nestlé brands, Schneider is a Maple Leaf brand.

I've had the Chicken Parmesan Hot Pocket and the Crustini in my hands at the same time and they are identical, definitely made in the same plant, they tasted exactly the same.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
There used to be an ice cream truck that would pull up at the east beach in Point Roberts by the border, was very common for Canadians just to walk across the line, get an ice cream then walk back. Since the border tightening however that's all changed and if you walk across there and get caught you can get in serious trouble.
There's a restaurant on 0 Ave up the road from Pacific Hwy that's called Smuggler's something or other that has an entrance on the Canadian side of the border. Wouldn't want to risk it though.

Border Patrol drive along and remove them.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I trust you are now in a bath of bleach.
The one in Great Falls is okay actually, I find Wal-Marts go downhill the bigger the town is. In small towns the staff has worked there for ages and it's the main place to shop so they tend to be better.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

This is the way to do it. Hardcore.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm absolutely 100% certain that Hot Pockets and Stouffer's Bistro Crustinis are the same thing, they're both Nestlé brands, Schneider is a Maple Leaf brand.

I've had the Chicken Parmesan Hot Pocket and the Crustini in my hands at the same time and they are identical, definitely made in the same plant, they tasted exactly the same.
Maybe there are a couple that are similar. Perhaps one kind of Crustini doesn't have a flaky outer or one of the Pockets has a flaky outer while the others don't. All I can say is I like crustinis and I have to be really desperate to eat a hotstuff and in the pictures the pockets look the same as hotstuffs. Ah well.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

You can't get Hot Pockets in Canada, that's the US name Nestlé uses. Schneiders Hot Stuff is something totally separate.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get Hot Pockets in Canada, that's the US name Nestlé uses. Schneiders Hot Stuff is something totally separate.
Yes I saw that about the pockets. I can only repeat what I said about the flaky pastry though, and I'm not alone in believing the crustinis are different.

Crustini

Hot Pocket

They really don't look the same product.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

The better comparison is Chicken Parmesan:

Hot Pocket.

Stouffer's Crustini.

Same thing, they even both have some label about a new and improved crust on the current boxes.

The Five Cheese Italian is obviously made purely for the Canadian market.

They used to do a Ham & Cheese one that was identical as well.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:07 pm
Oscar nominated

The better comparison is Chicken Parmesan
Ah ha! So some are the same and some are different then.

Those pics certainly indicate some Crustinis have the same crust as some hot pockets. Fortunately the ones I like have the flaky crust.

This one made me laugh