Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Post Dated Cheques?

In BC the rental contract is done on a form supplied by the residential tenancy office. You just fill in the numbers and dates.

The tenant has a clear obligation to pay the agreed rent on time. Chasing tenants who don't pay on time is a major pain in the neck. Even in the world of email and interac transfers they need to be initiated by the tenant the landlord has no assurance that they will be paid on time, if at all.

You just have to accept that post dated cheques are the way things are done. In a tight rental market a landlord is going to be very wary of a tenant who proposes to pay any other way, especially if they try to add terms to the contract that could result in financial penalties to the landlord.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The lease agreement doesn't state post dated cheques are required but does include a late payment penalty $50 plus $5 per day I think.
That is one reason you give the landlord post dated cheques: you are never late with your rent.

As the Aviator has said - it is the way it is. The residential tenancy act of your province will list all the rights and remedies available to both the landlord and tenant. You are only going to make your life more difficult if you try to do something different.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

So nobody uses Direct Debit?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by el_richo
Some companies, like the utility supplies and large corporate landlords do, but individuals cannot initiate a direct debit.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see why there is a problem here to be honest - You rent a house for a year give them 12 post dated cheques and its all sorted , its not like they are asking you to pay up front

i dont know what its like in other parts of Canada but i know in 5 different properties in Newfoundland I was interviewed to make sure I was 'suitable' to move into their house - if I started to throw clauses at them I would most certainly be told to take a hike .

Its the same for the kids daycares - we give them 3 months of post dated cheques at a time - may seem a bit archaeic but thats the way it is
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
individuals cannot initiate a direct debit.
Aaaah i didn't realise that. Thanks for clarifying.

Shame really as it'd save people lots of time and effort on both sides. Not forgetting the environmental benefits Canadians love so much

What about a Standing Order?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

What about a Standing Order?
AFAIK they don't exist. You can do something like this with payees the bank has pre-approved. These are businesses like utility providers, credit cards, municipal / provincial / federal government, insurance companies and so on. For example, I can schedule my payments to the medical services plan up to 12 months in advance. However, to transfer money electronically to anyone else the email/interac transfer is the only option.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:55 pm
Beep

AFAIK they don't exist. You can do something like this with payees the bank has pre-approved. These are businesses like utility providers, credit cards, municipal / provincial / federal government, insurance companies and so on. For example, I can schedule my payments to the medical services plan up to 12 months in advance. However, to transfer money electronically to anyone else the email/interac transfer is the only option.
Again, thanks so much for clarifying. I'm surprised these and DD's (in the banking sense ) aren't freely available and used.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks JonboyE
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The other option is if you have the same bank as the payee, is to set up an electronic transfer to their account from yours. Some banks & credit unions are also doing this between different institutions now, however they don't accept any risk or liability if they screw it up.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:23 pm
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all

That's how we pay our rent, and indeed all our utilities and credit card bills. I think there's another name for it here, but can't remember off the top of my head. It does help that our landlord is a property management company with several hundred tenants, I guess.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by sac_de_loup
... I think there's another name for it here, but can't remember off the top of my head.
Pre-authorized debit or PAD. Sometimes also called a Pre-authorized payment or PAP.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

In BC the rental contract is done on a form supplied by the residential tenancy office. You just fill in the numbers and dates.

The tenant has a clear obligation to pay the agreed rent on time. Agreed Chasing tenants who don't pay on time is a major pain in the neck. Agreed but the reality is that is part of the business of being a landlord. Even in the world of email and interac transfers they need to be initiated by the tenant the landlord has no assurance that they will be paid on time, if at all. Agreed but by requiring cheques for their own assurance and benefit in a fair and balanced sharing of risks the landlord should then take ownership of the risk looking after the cheques and take responsibility for their own failure to do so.

You just have to accept that post dated cheques are the way things are done. Of course I do nothing I have said suggests otherwise. In a tight rental market a landlord is going to be very wary of a tenant who proposes to pay any other way, especially if they try to add terms to the contract that could result in financial penalties to the landlord. Agreed but the post dated cheques issue has been introduced by the landlord after signing the agreement
/
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

/
But why complain about it. You have a choice, take it or leave it. The landlord can choose how he runs his business. If you as the renter don't like the way he does it, you have a choice.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

/
Aren't you getting ahead of yourself here? The landlord hasn't lost the cheques yet.

Me thinks you are going to love your new life over here
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If it is a reference to being tied to the bank then its as simple as closing out the account if you no longer wish to use them, and getting new cheques from a new account for the remainder (obviously letting your landlord know!)
it was indeed a reference to my current bank. and as you previously cautioned, the cancellation of cheques incurs a fee, which remains as my excuse for not issuing a year's worth of cheques up front.

i do not think it reasonable for my landlady to cause me additional expense through such endeavours, when i am already committed (and legally bound) to pay rent for the minimum term already stated on the agreement of tenancy.

for someone who has been using electronic methods for every single transaction when back in the UK, this cheque writing, change carrying way of life is fekkin weird to me! but it all adds to the charm of my new home. i am happy to comply with how things are done here; tis all part of the experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.