Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Post Dated Cheques?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you can't see that 0.25% interest rates are a bank bailout then you should open your eyes. I know it's been done to death, but Canadian banks do rip off their customers - saying 'we didn't need a bailout' is no justification. If Canadian banks lent sensibly then they would be able to make a profit on the interest differential between deposits and loans; there really is no need for effectively negative interest rates.

Lets face it, banking and bankers are systematically bad for every country they exist in. The socially useful function of extending capital to people and businesses that will use it productively has been forgotten. Right now with low interest rates people are borrowing high amounts to fund real estate purchases because the repayments are 'affordable' - however what this really means is that a large amount of the money we earn is just going directly into bank profits rather than the economy as a whole (hence the need for 'stimulus'). It amazes me that people don't get this. If I was in charge I'd enforce full reserve banking, none of this debt backed crap.
I am not going to disagree with anything you have said. But, in response to the poster above, to suggest that UK banks stand heads and shoulders above their Canadian counterparts is just complete tosh.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

northeast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, but surely you are aware that such borrowers pay a rather large premium to CMHC, I would imagine that actuaries have worked out what the premuims need to be on the based of likely defaults so, in essence, it is a glorified insurance scheme. Can you point to a situation when Canadian taxpayers had to bail out CMHC?
Yes I can. When the Canadian government took $75 billion worth of CMHC's liabilities off it books. All that fuss lately about a $60 billion deficit in one year, and yet this baby just slips on by... Yes the premium is hefty, and that is largely where the $8 billion in the bank comes from. Against $600 billion of potential liability that's 1.3%. Of course none of this is a problem so long as prices remain where they are and there is no way that the liability will be the full $600 billion. But if property prices correct even a small amount it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we have a problem. The CMHC is not a publicly listed company like Freddie Mae or Fanny Mac were.

If you think about it it's either an ingenious system or it's a potential timebomb. Only time will tell which it is. Britain did not have such a system and as such the government had to nationalize some of the banks, in effect taking the banks bad liabilities onto its own books (ala Northern Rock). The Canadian government has a nice little system where the riskiest loans are actually backed by its own quango (the CMHC) and therefore no banks have to be implicated. Which is not to say that the banks didn't get themselves into a bit of bother, CIBC had big problems with American liabilities and BMO keeps hitting the headlines with potential downgrades, etc.

I never, ever, said that the British banks stood "head and shoulders" above the Canadian banks. That's an unfair assertion. Some of the people who run those banks should be in jail. But what I do believe, and this is just my opinion, is that the consumer-facing side of British banks is much better. We don't have to "buy" banking packs of so many cheques, withdrawls etc per month and we also have far, far greater choice in the marketplace. In Canada the competition is almost non-existent and therefore not much changes, except for the worse. When I was younger we did not have to pay for our banking here. Things changed back in the early nineties to what you see now. It is, what it is, but it wasn't always like this.

Last edited by northeast canuck; Oct 29th 2009 at 2:26 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeast canuck
Yes I can. When the Canadian government took $75 billion worth of CMHC's liabilities off it books. All that fuss lately about a $60 billion deficit in one year, and yet this baby just slips on by... Yes the premium is hefty, and that is largely where the $8 billion in the bank comes from. Against $600 billion of potential liability that's 1.3%. Of course none of this is a problem so long as prices remain where they are and there is no way that the liability will be the full $600 billion. But if property prices correct even a small amount it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we have a problem. The CMHC is not a publicly listed company like Freddie Mae or Fanny Mac were.

If you think about it it's either an ingenious system or it's a potential timebomb. Britain did not have such a system and as such the government had to nationalize some of the banks, in effect taking the banks bad liabilities onto its own books (ala Northern Rock). The Canadian government has a nice little system where the riskiest loans are actually backed by its own quango (the CMHC) and therefore no banks have to be implicated. Which is not to say that the banks didn't get themselves into a bit of bother, CIBC had big problems with American liabilities and BMO keeps hitting the headlines with potential downgrades, etc.

I never, ever, said that the British banks stood "head and shoulders" above the Canadian banks. That's an unfair assertion. Some of the people who run those banks should be in jail. But what I do believe, and this is just my opinion, is that the consumer-facing side of British banks is much better. We don't have to "buy" banking packs of so many cheques, withdrawls etc per month and we also have far, far greater choice in the marketplace. In Canada the competition is almost non-existent and therefore not much changes, except for the worse. When I was younger we did not have to pay for our banking here. Things changed back in the early nineties to what you see now.
$600 billion. Are you seriously suggesting that every person in Canada is potentially in the shite to the tune of $20,000?

Again, CMHC has been in operation, I am led to believe, for 60 years, do you have any examples of it taking a large hit?

The "banking packs" that you refer to used to exist in England. I can remember the advert where the customer of (TSB) I believe, walked into the bank and told the manager he didn't want to have to pay for such things anymore.

I agree that there is very little competition between the Canadian banks, but there is very little competition between most things Canadian (airlines, professions, cell phone providers, insurance companies, in fact just about anything)
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

northeast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant futurenortheast canuck has a brilliant future

$600 billion. Are you seriously suggesting that every person in Canada is potentially in the shite to the tune of $20,000?

Again, CMHC has been in operation, I am led to believe, for 60 years, do you have any examples of it taking a large hit?

The "banking packs" that you refer to used to exist in England. I can remember the advert where the customer of (TSB) I believe, walked into the bank and told the manager he didn't want to have to pay for such things anymore.

I agree that there is very little competition between the Canadian banks, but there is very little competition between most things Canadian (airlines, professions, cell phone providers, insurance companies, in fact just about anything)
I agree with you there (cell phone providers in particular)!

Yes, the Canadian public is, in theory, potentially in hock for that amount but in reality property prices will never drop to 0! But even a correction of 10% or more will cause mayhem and you will see it, I believe, in higher taxes. As far as I am aware there has not been a default on behalf of the CMHC but its liabilities have nearly doubled in just the past two years. Never in history has it been so critical to Canada's financial system. Have a look at the Globe article I posted the link to yesterday. This is not fringe stuff, it's real.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to disagree with anything you have said. But, in response to the poster above, to suggest that UK banks stand heads and shoulders above their Canadian counterparts is just complete tosh.
I wouldn't make that comparison either; there is no moral high ground. Banks behave in the way that they think they can get away within the regulatory framework they operate in.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wouldn't make that comparison either; there is no moral high ground. Banks behave in the way that they think they can get away within the regulatory framework they operate in.
Just as individuals do
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as individuals do
It's a pity we as individuals don't get given a wad of tax payers cash when we screw up.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that Canada has % limits on foreign banks or subsidaries of foreign banks operating in Canada so it's hardly suprising that in terms of customer facing services or efficiency of back office operations it's behind the UK (and other countries with more open markets).

Also, 5 to 10 years ago weren't the Canadian banks desperate to merge with each other so they could "compete with the big boys on the world stage". It seems they were saved from themselves to a certain extent although not for the right reasons. Weren't the mergers stopped from going ahead for political reasons rather than any particular rationale for a low risk banking system?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:42 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
There was a good interview on the BBC website earlier this week where Evan Davis was speaking to Warren Buffet. WB put it very well but basically said that companies and individuals in the finance sector have been taking a cut out of the wealth generated by the economy out of all proportion to the value they add. He made a joke about say if a group of people were stranded on an island and grow their own food etc would they all decide it would be a good idea if 15% of them went off and started trading in what the rest were working to produce?

Evan Davis podcasts are also available and worth listening to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006sz6t
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimf
I read somewhere that Canada has % limits on foreign banks or subsidaries of foreign banks operating in Canada so it's hardly suprising that in terms of customer facing services or efficiency of back office operations it's behind the UK (and other countries with more open markets).

Also, 5 to 10 years ago weren't the Canadian banks desperate to merge with each other so they could "compete with the big boys on the world stage". It seems they were saved from themselves to a certain extent although not for the right reasons. Weren't the mergers stopped from going ahead for political reasons rather than any particular rationale for a low risk banking system?
You are right there - I believe the limit is 49%. This is also what has held back the airlines and the telcos over the years. The airlines used to have a limit of 25% although I believe that has recently been increased (or is scheduled to be increased) to 49% as well. This is why you do not see "Virgin Canada" here. Air 2000 ran into trouble when they started Air 3000 which they later were forced to offload to Canadian investors and rename it Canada 3000 because they ran afoul of the 25% law. This is one of the reasons the airline industry here is always lurching from one financial crisis to the next (even when times are good). The same with the telcos - there is currently an Egyptian firm trying to break into the Canadian cell phone market but they have the same issues with the ownership rules - I believe the CRTC are due to rule on it this month.

This is a double edged sword. The British government take the opposite approach. Sell the lot to anyone with the cash. A couple of weeks back the government announced it would sell the Dartford Tunnel. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan owns whole swathes of the British infrastructure. Is this a good idea? Probably not. But the opposite is protectionism like we have here in Canada and consumers ultimately pay the price for this. I would rather see something in the middle.

Yes, back in the 90s the banks wanted to merge. In fact, I remember reading the headlines when the government prevented the merger - on my flight to Britain when I left. This was reported as sensational! A blow to the banks in the name of the consumer! These were very unloved institutions. "Unloved" is perhaps too mild a term for it - maybe reviled, or detested might be more accurate. They had been running a cash-grabbing campaign for a few years with their fees-for-everything approach to banking and had caused huge upset to the general public. So the banks were prevented from merging - but as you correctly suggest - it was for political reasons. People hated the banks. As it happens, it probably saved Canada from becoming one of these countries that has come unstuck with a banking sector magnitudes bigger than GDP. That's why I find it absolutely amazing to come back here over a decade later to find the banks being held up almost as "heroes". They are not, as Alan2005 has shown in his posts. They operate like any other bank - they will not think twice about bankrupting you or repossessing your home if you run into trouble. It hasn't happened to me but it has happened to friends and others close to me. This is why in my view banks are never something to be celebrated and definitely should never be taken at face value as so many people do.

Last edited by northeast canuck; Oct 29th 2009 at 5:07 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeast canuck
You are right there - I believe the limit is 49%. This is also what has held back the airlines and the telcos over the years. The airlines used to have a limit of 25% although I believe that has recently been increased (or is scheduled to be increased) to 49% as well. This is why you do not see "Virgin Canada" here. Air 2000 ran into trouble when they started Air 3000 which they later were forced to offload to Canadian investors and rename it Canada 3000 because they ran afoul of the 25% law. This is one of the reasons the airline industry here is always lurching from one financial crisis to the next (even when times are good). The same with the telcos - there is currently an Egyptian firm trying to break into the Canadian cell phone market but they have the same issues with the ownership rules - I believe the CRTC are due to rule on it this month.

This is a double edged sword. The British government take the opposite approach. Sell the lot to anyone with the cash. A couple of weeks back the government announced it would sell the Dartford Tunnel. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan owns whole swathes of the British infrastructure. Is this a good idea? Probably not. But the opposite is protectionism like we have here in Canada and consumers ultimately pay the price for this. I would rather see something in the middle.

Yes, back in the 90s the banks wanted to merge. In fact, I remember reading the headlines when the government prevented the merger - on my flight to Britain when I left. This was reported as sensational! A blow to the banks in the name of the consumer! These were very unloved institutions. "Unloved" is perhaps too mild a term for it - maybe reviled, or detested might be more accurate. They had been running a cash-grabbing campaign for a few years with their fees-for-everything approach to banking and had caused huge upset to the general public. So the banks were prevented from merging - but as you correctly suggest - it was for political reasons. People hated the banks. As it happens, it probably saved Canada from becoming one of these countries that has come unstuck with a banking sector magnitudes bigger than GDP. That's why I find it absolutely amazing to come back here over a decade later to find the banks being held up almost as "heroes". They are not, as Alan2005 has shown in his posts. They operate like any other bank - they will not think twice about bankrupting you or repossessing your home if you run into trouble. It hasn't happened to me but it has happened to friends and others close to me. This is why in my view banks are never something to be celebrated and definitely should never be taken at face value as so many people do.
I agree this is a double edged sword, however, British companies own foreign assets to a very great degree also which is good for those businesses.

A particular problem with the foreign ownership of assets in the UK is that in certain sectors British companies don't have the same access. Eg water and power utilities are open in the UK but there is no way British companies could buy up the same assets in France or Germany. It does seem as though the German and French utilities favour their home customers compared to those of the companies they own in the UK.

I'm not sure that the Ontario Teachers Fund itself owns that much British infrastructure. I remember it took a minority stake in Northumbrian Water when the French got out and it was relisted. Certainly various pension funds UK and foreign do own significant parts of the infrastructure though. I think the UK is probably too open in some respects. It doesn't really matter if foreign companies own paint factories etc but is it really in the national interest to have Heathrow owned by a foreign company?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I doubt many landlords would have a clue what tenants are like in the UK. Canada seems to have much more or a renters culture than the UK. Renters seem to be of quite a diverse range of reliability. Having been a landlord, I can say I am more than happy to have left that era behind.
My brother was a landlord in the UK and he had nothing but problems with tenants not paying rent.

I'm the owner of a duplex in NB. I have been let down by a couple of tenants but mostly it's been brilliant. Some seem almost grateful that you rent to them, although maybe that's because the standard of my accommodation is good and I allow their pets.

From what I've heard about renting in Ontario I wouldn't touch it there. Here, one of my tenants has been as much as two months (nearly three) behind and I've trusted her because she actually catches up.

It can be inconvenient but I'd rather get the money late than have to look for replacements, risking a vacancy in between.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
In Toronto a lot of landlords also ask for the years rent in backdated cheques, I guess so that they fell more secure in knowing you will pay and not just leave and so you don't forget to mail a cheque or whatever. However while you can do it if you like it is not legal for them to require it under Toronto tenant rules, they can only ask for first and last months rent. They are also not allowed to ask for security deposits or anything similar. When your lease expires and you move out they are also obliged to pay you 6% interest on the last months rent that they have been witholding.

Why would you back date a rent check? Do you mean forward date it?

It is illegal here in the states.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't ever give anyone post dated checks. I used to hear stories about people that did this in the UK and the landlord cashed them early. The bank didn't check the date when they were presented.
I issued a post dated cheque in the UK once (for a utility bill) and the recipient cashed it early and I went overdrawn.

The bank told me that they pay on a cheque when presented even when post dated, meaning the post dating of a cheque was irrelevant.

I assume that information was correct. In Canada it appears there is more appreciation of the intention behind post dating a cheque.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I issued a post dated cheque in the UK once (for a utility bill) and the recipient cashed it early and I went overdrawn.

The bank told me that they pay on a cheque when presented even when post dated, meaning the post dating of a cheque was irrelevant.

I assume that information was correct. In Canada it appears there is more appreciation of the intention behind post dating a cheque.
Yes it appears that way (from Steve_P's post earlier).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.