Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Why Post Dated Cheques?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Post Dated Cheques?

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
I appreciate the convenience of direct debits and standing orders too but we just have to accept that it isn't going to happen here in the near future. Even when you try and explain how it works to bank employees they look at you like a dog watching TV.

Definitely archaic but not worth worrying about.
According to someone at the bank (Toronto Dominion) yesterday there is no $1000 limit on the Interac Email payment system so in theory that should be an option. They also said the recipient can set up an automatic payment collection using the details on the senders cheque - this sounded like a direct debit to me but she called is something else.

It seems more bother than it's worth to follow up though.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Landlord seems to prefer 11 post dated cheques for monthly rent payments on a 1 year lease (paid first month with the deposit). I just wondered how common this method of paying a monthly rent is and any alternatives you have used instead.
Its pretty common with private landlords, not as common with stratas or apartment buildings owned by a leasing company.

Depending on province you might be able to refuse. I always did as I dont buy checks, and my bank only gave me 1 free check a month.

I was so not buying checks just to pay rent and its not my problem if the landlord doesn't want to be accesible for me to pay rent on the day its due, not before.

I've been screwed once too many times by landlords depositing checks early and will never do it again, always someone else willing to rent who wont require it and I now try to only rent from leasing companies or direct from stratas, the private landlord route is not something I want to deal with again.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 28th 2009 at 8:31 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:01 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

< mumbles about having to pay to have a bank account, use an ATM, and pay for cheques >

Sorry, did I say something?

I rented a couple of places in Toronto and had to hand over post dated cheques and thankfully never had a problem with them being cashed early, my second landlady seemed to cash them late if anything.

I did ask them who their account was with and if it had been TD then I'd have used their "personal payment" system to setup an automatic transfer to them every month, but alas neither of the landladies were with TD.

I did leave a place early and the landlady was more than happy to send the remaining cheques over to me to destroy as she didn't bulk deposit them at the bank, which was nice, as otherwise I'd have to cancel them and that would of course cost me to do so and with at least six months left, that would add up a fair bit as I doubt the bank would give any kind of discount if you're canceling multiple cheques.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:43 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

I did leave a place early and the landlady was more than happy to send the remaining cheques over to me to destroy as she didn't bulk deposit them at the bank, which was nice, as otherwise I'd have to cancel them and that would of course cost me to do so and with at least six months left, that would add up a fair bit as I doubt the bank would give any kind of discount if you're canceling multiple cheques.

A good landlord will not mind asking the bank to return your cheques and then pass them back to you if they have been deposited in bulk. It can take a few days for them to come back though. I usually time it to coincide with the return of the tenant's deposit.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:48 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
According to someone at the bank (Toronto Dominion) yesterday there is no $1000 limit on the Interac Email payment system so in theory that should be an option. They also said the recipient can set up an automatic payment collection using the details on the senders cheque - this sounded like a direct debit to me but she called is something else.

It seems more bother than it's worth to follow up though.
It would probably work ok but I doubt if it would be free.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:52 pm
riding the saltchuck

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I was so not buying checks just to pay rent and its not my problem if the landlord doesn't want to be accesible for me to pay rent on the day its due, not before.

I've been screwed once too many times by landlords depositing checks early and will never do it again, always someone else willing to rent who wont require it and I now try to only rent from leasing companies or direct from stratas, the private landlord route is not something I want to deal with again.
Sorry to hear you've had a bad time but how did you know it was the landlord depositing the cheque early and not a bank mistake? If it's a post-dated cheque it should not go through anyway.

How do you pay your rent?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear you've had a bad time but how did you know it was the landlord depositing the cheque early and not a bank mistake? If it's a post-dated cheque it should not go through anyway.

An organization I'm involved with started accepting post dated cheques for payment.

The first deposit the person responsible deposited all of the cheques at once, her excuse was she'd never heard of post dated cheques before so figured you deposited them and the bank took care of it.

The bank didn't check dates and cashed the lot. It took months to sort it out. Someone at the bank muttered no-one told us they were post dated.

Bottom line I wouldn't trust the bank to catch the error.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Banks make mistakes. But legally I *think* they are allowed to cash the cheque (something about the date being an agreement between the writer and the receiver of the cheque and it being illegal to write a cheque if you know you don't have the funds to cover it - not really sure, maybe somebody that knows Canadian banking law will know).
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
An organization I'm involved with started accepting post dated cheques for payment.

The first deposit the person responsible deposited all of the cheques at once, her excuse was she'd never heard of post dated cheques before so figured you deposited them and the bank took care of it.

The bank didn't check dates and cashed the lot. It took months to sort it out. Someone at the bank muttered no-one told us they were post dated.

Me neither.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:02 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
< mumbles about having to pay to have a bank account, use an ATM, and pay for cheques >

Sorry, did I say something?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:06 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

A previous UK bank admitted they didn't check any cheques - signatures or date, when I had my book stolen - my account was free , but don't imagine it would have been better if I had paid.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Banks make mistakes. But legally I *think* they are allowed to cash the cheque (something about the date being an agreement between the writer and the receiver of the cheque and it being illegal to write a cheque if you know you don't have the funds to cover it - not really sure, maybe somebody that knows Canadian banking law will know).
Apparently if the bank is a member of the Canadian Payments Association (CPA) then they CANNOT cash the cheque before the date indicated on it.

Who knew?

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consu...Info-5-eng.asp
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:12 pm
riding the saltchuck

That's lousy service from the bank. I think you do have to tell them that the cheques you are handing over are post-dated and I usually see them being put into a special envelope to be sent to head office. They are not deposited in branch.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:14 pm

Apparently if the bank is a member of the Canadian Payments Association (CPA) then they CANNOT cash the cheque before the date indicated on it.

Who knew?

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consu...Info-5-eng.asp
Well, I guess that corrects what I thought. I still wouldn't risk it though.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:15 pm

I think you do have to tell them that the cheques you are handing over are post-dated
Apparently not see my follow-up post directly above yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.