Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why the Move????

Why the Move????

Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the Move????

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Just keeping it somewhat real..... sorry if that disturbs you !!!
I am not living in a dream world and realise that living is different to holidaying.

I do however know that there are more things to do and see than the inside of some bar / nightclub with lots of p*ssed people every w/end like here in teh UK.

Typical Monday morning greetings in my office:

me: Did you have a good w/end?

the others: Yes - I got battered!

I need not say anymore. I do not want to continue with that monday morning ritual.

And yes - I hope to have equity but frankly I've worked my butt off to get my house and to keep it so I am not ashamed or hiding that fact!

B
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
I do however know that there are more things to do and see than the inside of some bar / nightclub with lots of p*ssed people every w/end like here in teh UK.

I need not say anymore. I do not want to continue with that monday morning ritual.
Don't come here then, that's exactly how it is.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

dbd you really hate living in Canada don't you?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:02 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You are ADRIANTO and I claim my UKP5.00.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
dbd you really hate living in Canada don't you?
Not really, no, it's mediorce rather than horrible. One of the things I do like about it is the culture of heavy drinking/dope smoking. (Though I do find everyone's tales of beating the RIDE patrols/breathalyzer get a bit tedious).
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

dbd, it's time to consider moving back to England. Your country needs you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7102937.stm

(Or at least the nations brewers need you and people like you & I)
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not really, no, it's mediorce rather than horrible. One of the things I do like about it is the culture of heavy drinking/dope smoking. (Though I do find everyone's tales of beating the RIDE patrols/breathalyzer get a bit tedious).

The "mediocrity" is exactly why I like Canada. It's like the Scandanavian countries. It's under the radar. Doesn't have the baggage of the Empire like the UK or the bravado bluster of the US.

Explained in

http://beatles.ncf.ca/canada.html
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
The "mediocrity" is exactly why I like Canada. It's like the Scandanavian countries. It's under the radar. Doesn't have the baggage of the Empire like the UK or the bravado bluster of the US.

Explained in

http://beatles.ncf.ca/canada.html
Yes. Nothing ever happening is both the strength and the weakness of the place.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
dbd, it's time to consider moving back to England. Your country needs you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7102937.stm

(Or at least the nations brewers need you and people like you & I)
I'd be glad to do that. Act for King Country Fuller Smith Turner and Young.

Give it five years or so, by then the kids will be gone to the US(2) or Europe(1) and I expect we'll move on (though not necessarily towards home). A miraculous collapse in the UK housing market might tip us that way.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:01 am
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough

I am not living in a dream world and realise that living is different to holidaying.

And yes - I hope to have equity but frankly I've worked my butt off to get my house and to keep it so I am not ashamed or hiding that fact!

B
Well we all have our own opinions on every country, I forgot that Canada is full of t-total none dope heads isn't that right !!! ummm..... let me think about that for a minute....
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

B
I worked in the same industry both in the UK and here, in very similar office environments. UK - you would get the same answer to a "how was your weekend" type question as bandit mentioned.

Here it would be "excellent, went camping / sailing / mountain biking / skiing / did charity work" or for the Asians in my office "I had a lovely weekend with my parents / family / extended family eatting at my favourite restaurant in Richmond / China Town".

I do of course live on the west coast and that is no coincidence.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by live to ski
Here it would be "excellent, went camping / sailing / mountain biking / skiing / did charity work" or for the Asians in my office "I had a lovely weekend with my parents / family / extended family eatting at my favourite restaurant in Richmond / China Town".
Doesn't that make you want to puke? It sounds like Utah.