Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why the Move????

Why the Move????

Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:38 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the Move????

why the move????
To avoid things like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:32 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over.

Here, maybe a few beers after work or out for a nice meal with friends. Then early to bed for a weekend of skiing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
SOOOO TRUE!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi all,
do you think I'm mad? because I want to have more of an outdoor life than I have here. I want to start skiing and i want all my family to start too and hopefully all love it.

It's just being able ( if you can afford it) to give my kids a better start and let them do things they couldn't here in UK and getting them away from the booze and hoodies and hanging around on street corners.

Me, I hoping to get into the plumbing trade, I'm 41 now and will be nearing 43 by the time I get over there ) may be older) and I know I will have to graft harder and probably do more hours at work, to do all these things, but I think we are all hear to better ourselves in any way we can and would like?

I really can't wait
regards to you all,
Carl
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

I'll fight you to be the first in line for the lift!

At Whistler you can do the "Fresh Tracks" where you get a very early lift up, having breakfast up there, and then ski the fresh tracks. I also know some good tips of how to get the last lift up to get the final run down.
Ha Ha!!!!

I may hold you to that!!!

Bx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Hi Bandit my old friend .

Well you know why I moved here and you know how much I love it here. Saying that though, I loved life in England too so perhaps I'm just a bit of a lover-of-life .

You'll be fine; I think you will really like living over here and I think all the things you like in life will be available in adundance over here for you.

Obviously all of us Ontarion old friends of yours would love to see you so if you save time and a bit of cash before you get totally settled in - please pop on in.

Tia x
Hey Tia!!!

Nice to hear from you! Yeah, I am really excited about the move - scared to be doing it on my own however, but know it's the right thing to do. I do definately want to come to see you and the farm - perhaps you'd do a trail ride for me even though you don't do them anymore?!?!

I have alot to look forward to, but alot of things to sort out in the UK first.

Looking forward to wide open spaces, smiley faces, and snow!

Bx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

I think that there are 2 types of people who leave their home nation and head over seas, those who are moving towards something (the skiing, the active lifestyle) and those who are moving away (high morgage, yobs) and dont think one is any better tahn the other its each to there own, but i think that it helps with the motivation when it seems like a long way off to know which you are.

For me I spent a season in whistler 4 years ago and start way too many stories with "When i was in Canada" and really really miss the work hard play hard attitude. It does exist in the UK but i think that its not the same, I know that I need to get a change of location and Canada is a country of positive minded people on the up. Perfect place to be!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:25 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandit
Yeah, I am really excited about the move - scared to be doing it on my own

Don't be. I moved to England and back and moved between provinces on my own and though I wouldn't say 'it's easy', it's not impossible. Look at the positives: you have the freedom to move to anywhere you want to, you can choose a home that suits you, you can do things your way, you get to make all the decisions, you know eactly want's going on because you're organizing everything, etc.... then at the end of it all you get the bottle of bubbly all to yourself!

Seriously, it's no big deal.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:48 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=live to ski;5425212]UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over.

Have you been speaking to my wife about me?

Although I don't do shopping.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Don't be. I moved to England and back and moved between provinces on my own and though I wouldn't say 'it's easy', it's not impossible. Look at the positives: you have the freedom to move to anywhere you want to, you can choose a home that suits you, you can do things your way, you get to make all the decisions, you know eactly want's going on because you're organizing everything, etc.... then at the end of it all you get the bottle of bubbly all to yourself!

Seriously, it's no big deal.
Hi there!

Thanks for the boost in confidence!!! I moved to France on my own to learn french for 3 months, and had a blast! So, yes, I'm so very excited and should just keep on being excited!!! YAY!

Bx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over.

Here, maybe a few beers after work or out for a nice meal with friends. Then early to bed for a weekend of skiing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
Just nicking this quote as couldnt phrase it better myself. This is definately what I am hoping for!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:01 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over. .
Here they're less likely to spend the money they don't have on Beer
but much much more likely to spend loads of money they don't have on the multiple credit cards they own
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough

Why is it everyone from UK that wants to make the move to Canada seems to think that they wont be using their credit cards here or have mortgages that they may well struggle with ! Canada is not a safe haven away from debt... people struggle here just like they do back home, there are yobs here too... just like everywhere else. The grass is not always greener but it sure is good to make the move and make that decision for yourself. However dont be under the illusion that everything will be hunky dorey just because you are leaving the UK... what is that all about !! Life is what you make it... if you are unhappy in England and are quick enough to point out all the bad things then in time you will do the same about anywhere you live.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:24 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Why is it everyone from UK that wants to make the move to Canada seems to think that they wont be using their credit cards here or have mortgages that they may well struggle with
Because a lot of them will be cashing in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equity from their overpriced British homes?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Why is it everyone from UK that wants to make the move to Canada seems to think that they wont be using their credit cards here or have mortgages that they may well struggle with ! Canada is not a safe haven away from debt... people struggle here just like they do back home, there are yobs here too... just like everywhere else. The grass is not always greener but it sure is good to make the move and make that decision for yourself. However dont be under the illusion that everything will be hunky dorey just because you are leaving the UK... what is that all about !! Life is what you make it... if you are unhappy in England and are quick enough to point out all the bad things then in time you will do the same about anywhere you live.
You are ADRIANTO and I claim my UKP5.00.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:21 am
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You are ADRIANTO and I claim my UKP5.00.
Just keeping it somewhat real..... sorry if that disturbs you !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.