Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why the Move????

Why the Move????

Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why the Move????

Hello folks

I have been thinking recently why I am making the massive to Canada.? I have been thinking of it for a while, but it seems to come as a shock to others when you tell them.

Today I told a friend of mine - who said they'd move there for a year in 1993 - Hamilton, Ontario..... He for example said he couldn't hack the seasons - harsh winters and hot summers... for me that is a pull to move.!

Anyway - personally I want to move - and it may not be forever - in order to explore what my 'homeland' has to offer. I only arrived in the UK by accident, but have spend my formative years and the majority of my life here, yet I've never felt I'm English... Let alone British.

I just wonder what spurs people to move out of the UK - I personally don't have a family so am not moving to improve my kids life - although I really think the UK isn't the best place to bring them up. I do think that most of the UK people judge you on what you wear / where you work etc.. v materialistic. I'm hoping Canada offers more and isn't so judgemental..

Anyway - let me know....

Bx
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the Move????

The Mrs. She wanted to come home. Me, I wanted a Snowblower & a Skidoo. I'm half way there.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Mrs. She wanted to come home. Me, I wanted a Snowblower & a Skidoo. I'm half way there.
Cheers Steve

Such a great responce!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????????????

I'll come and get a go on your skidoo....!!!! I look forward to that day already!

B
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over.

Here, maybe a few beers after work or out for a nice meal with friends. Then early to bed for a weekend of skiing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I haven't got the snowblower (don't need one) but I got the Skidoo (because I do need one).
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by live to ski
UK people seem to spend their weekends, getting drunk Friday and Saturday night, then spend their days shopping for consumer durables they don't need on credit cards with money they don't have. That is once they have recovered from their hang over.

Here, maybe a few beers after work or out for a nice meal with friends. Then early to bed for a weekend of skiing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
Hi

I totally agree. I live in a small town outside London - but it has big problems - alot of anti social behaviour and the view that you need to be drunk all w/end to have fun, and then just go shopping during the day.

I'm totally against that mentality and want to get as far away from it as possible. Sure I like a beer after work - but it's not the only thing in the world. I for one am the first on the ski lift and last off the slopes when I'm on skiing holiday, so the thought of having the great out doors on my door step is a major pull!!!

B
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

why, because there is no way i want my kids going up in what has become of this country, the booze culture, the yobs, the designer labels and materialistic lifestyle that is rampant here. There is absolutely nothing here for kids to do, other than hang around on the streets and cause trouble or sit in glued to the telly. My good friend who lives in Oakville is constantly out taking his kids here there and everywhere, for skating, ice hockey, soccer, gymnastics, etc etc. That is how i want my kids to spend there youth.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

I hate the idea of living and dying in one country without exploring somewhere else first! I like my life here, but have thought of Canada at least 6 times every day for the last seven years

Bringing up my family plays a big part, having some land - an allotment just doesn't cut it (although the corn was delicious!), not being strangled by our mortgage, and being able to build a great big snow person
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

"Snow person". What political correctness is this, the world is going mad

I built snowmen as I child and I will build a snowman in Canada. In fact I might have to make it anatomically correct now just to prove a point!

Originally Posted by maggie and chris
I hate the idea of living and dying in one country without exploring somewhere else first! I like my life here, but have thought of Canada at least 6 times every day for the last seven years

Bringing up my family plays a big part, having some land - an allotment just doesn't cut it (although the corn was delicious!), not being strangled by our mortgage, and being able to build a great big snow person
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
In fact I might have to make it anatomically correct now just to prove a point!
Pls post pictures
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

That's what happens when you work as a civil servant for so many years; the diversity, equal opportunity and equality training sneaks into everyday language
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:55 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha!!! I am shamed to confess that when I read that comment DNS about anatomically correct snowman, I was instantly transported to an episode of Girls and the Playboy Mansion (or whatever its called) where Holly makes her Heff snowman a 2 foot tall one of them thingies! Promise to post pics wont you?????
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
"Snow person". What political correctness is this, the world is going mad

I built snowmen as I child and I will build a snowman in Canada. In fact I might have to make it anatomically correct now just to prove a point!
I look forward to the proof of that!!!! LOL!!!

I made snow 'angels' when I was a kid in Montreal when we had 6 foot snow falls in the winter and had to dig out the swing set!!!

I am SOOOO looking forward to snow again!

Bx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I for one am the first on the ski lift and last off the slopes when I'm on skiing holiday,
I'll fight you to be the first in line for the lift!

At Whistler you can do the "Fresh Tracks" where you get a very early lift up, having breakfast up there, and then ski the fresh tracks. I also know some good tips of how to get the last lift up to get the final run down.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:35 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bandit my old friend .

Well you know why I moved here and you know how much I love it here. Saying that though, I loved life in England too so perhaps I'm just a bit of a lover-of-life .

You'll be fine; I think you will really like living over here and I think all the things you like in life will be available in adundance over here for you.

Obviously all of us Ontarion old friends of yours would love to see you so if you save time and a bit of cash before you get totally settled in - please pop on in.

Tia x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.