Why Canada???

Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:48 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Canada???

Originally Posted by bmnewmarket

Plus when I first went to the library to have a look at both Canada and OZ the OZ book spoke about worms 4" diameter x 6 foot long, that was eenough for me
Did they not have the word "snake" in 1980?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

bmnewmarket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Did they not have the word "snake" in 1980?
I am certain they did, however i was only quoting the word used in the book!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

because the skiing is better than the fridge at Castleford
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:01 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
because the skiing is better than the fridge at Castleford
It really is wierd, a hill in a box
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I cant speak for others but I do live in a largely crime free paradise. I came for the job offer initially of course, but enjoy the stress free living, the 4 season climate and a relaxed pace of life. I guess Im just happier here, thats what counts. Nothing wrong with the UK though that cant be fixed by either a better job or moving to a nicer area.

I was a little concerned at how I would take the the winter here, but to my surprise its not so bad, I actually enjoy the first few months, its just by the time March rolls I am looking forward to the next season. Right now I cant wait to get skiing again and the kids are all excited to get skating once more.
+ 1 to this.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

So now I had to Google "Budgie-smugglers" and I have to say I am perturbed! http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=budgie...w=1280&bih=871

We came here for a holiday at a time when things were a little rocky at home, and fell in love with the place. I know people say you can't run away from your troubles, they'll come right along with you, but we were looking for a fresh start and things have worked out really well for us.

Also a) I had yearned to live "in the mountains" since we had an au paire from Switzerland when I was a tiny. b) I never though I would stay living in my home town (though it took 45 years for me to actually leave it!), and c) I had once already contemplated moving to Canada some 20 years earlier, but the time wasn't right and the notion passed.

It's not quite a "stress-free life" here, but I'd say none of our family is unhappy to be here, and some of us feel much happier. I have fallen in with a really great group of ladies, many of whom have become much closer friends than I ever had in the UK.

But I have also seen some really terrible things, and have decided there's quite a few more interesting ways to die here than in West Sussex. Nevertheless, or pehaps as a direct consequence, here I do feel much more "alive"!

I don't hate the UK; it's a great place to visit, but we are enjoying our life here now, and are proud to be able to say we are Canadians.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited quite a few times now and have always felt at home in Canada - the only place I didn't was Montreal! I enjoy the scenery, the laid-back attitude, the demeanour of the people (polite, friendly), the fact you can live near a city *and* in a rural area at the same time, and that the place isn't so jam-packed with people (those last 2 might be more Nova Scotia-specific!). I enjoy visiting the US as well so that will be more achieveable. I feel I fit the culture more in Canada than I do here. Obviously I'm saying that without having moved there yet, but I lived in Canada for 3 months and came away with that view, so I'm hoping it will still be the case! My OH is the same. Plus we're looking for something new, something that's a challenge
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lensawyer
Out of the whole world why did you chose Canada ??? We are trying to decide where we want to emigrate to we have been looking at oz but I like the idea of Canada although only just started looking into it. What made Canada the place for you and your family I must admit the weather does scare me.. Although that could be due to living in England and the slightest snowflake the whole country goes to pot lol
The weather scares everyone until you actually live through it. I'm not saying -25 is pleasant because it certainly is not, however, don't let your imagination run away with you. And frankly if it's that big of a deal move to BC.

Canada is a better place to live than Australia overall I think as Australia only has a population of 21 million and is quite isolated, Canada has a population of 34 million and borders the US, so there are many more people and most of them speak English. Basically more opportunity. More places to go, etc. Also with house prices in Australia, I think you're better off generally speaking in terms of cost of living as well.

I suspect most people who emigrate from the UK want to move somewhere where people speak English and the culture isn't radically different, and Canada was until recently the largest English-speaking country that was relatively straightforward to immigrate into. Since the changes in the skilled worker list in 2008 and 2010 that have dramatically narrowed the NOC codes and imposed a quota, first thing you need to do is figure out if you can actually move here.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:45 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Why Canada.....Because it's less crowded than the US, with abundance of space that gives you the 4 seasons. I am also able to have a bigger house than I could have had in the UK, with some other toys
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Why Canada.....Because it's less crowded than the US
The GTA is less crowded than Utah? Nope. Since most people in Canada live in a tiny part of the country they're as squished day-to-day as residents of the UK or, say, New Jersey. It may be that there's lots of room in the Artic but that's not of any use to someone who has a job in Toronto.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id have said traditionally that the main difference between the US and Canada is that the average Joe has a snowballs chance of getting a Canadian visa...

Geographic and cultural differences are probably greater East vs West than North vs South.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010

of course, if you look I'm sure there is also a thread somewhere on the relative merits of spiders vs. bears.
    Someone posted on the Oz forum recently that it was easier to kill a redback with your shoe compared to a grizzly.
    Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:10 pm
    Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
    Someone posted on the Oz forum recently that it was easier to kill a redback with your shoe compared to a grizzly.
    They havent smelled my sneakers