Why Canada???

Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Canada???

Originally Posted by JamesM
<Heads to the fridge for another can of Amsterdam Blonde>
Originally Posted by Oink
I

<Looks longingly at the tall can of Warsteiner but closes the fridge empty handed as someone has to pick up HID from the damn airport.>
<approves of the use of <> brackets, which I claim to have originated and sends tut tut to Mr. M for his taste in beer while smiling approvingly at that of Mr Oink>
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:34 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It was rather an angry break up I'm afraid. Lots of hurtful accusations were hurled by both parties coupled with misinterpreted actions and that was that. The memory of their scallops wrapped in bacon and their escargots stuffed mushroom caps will no doubt fade in time.

<Looks longingly at the tall can of Warsteiner but closes the fridge empty handed as someone has to pick up HID from the damn airport.>
Get there early, squeeze in a few pints at that crappy pub in the arrivals area and get her to drive home cos you are pissed.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

you can shoot bears, and drink all day without people batting an eyelid.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<approves of the use of <> brackets, which I claim to have originated and sends tut tut to Mr. M for his taste in beer while smiling approvingly at that of Mr Oink>
They supplied me with some beer fridge parts free of charge, as a result I occasionally "buy local" . Nice people down there.

<Puts the second can back in the fridge as he realises Novo won't drink it!>
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
<Puts the second can back in the fridge as he realises Novo won't drink it!>
Oh I don't know. I could be persuaded. Anyway, I've just opened a can of Bavaria so I'd better shut up.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:29 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
For example, wearing budgie smugglers on the beach.
Have you got my house bugged? My kid and I have just been trying to translate this into French, and are aiming at 'contrebandier de perruche'? You HAVE to wear the damned things in the swimming pools here, and I am sure this is one of the things that makes my OH want to return home to Canada. I think this is the best phrase I have heard in ages.

With all the beer and popcorn, I imagine the Rennies are the dessert?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lensawyer
Out of the whole world why did you chose Canada ???
First time, because my partner at the time was Canadian. Second time, because my husband got transferred there. It was never actually a choice because of the country.

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Because there is some resemblance of Law and Order, unlike england
where if it can be sold for scrap it is knicked!
Generalise much? Perhaps I'd better go and put everything away before it gets 'nicked', and actually bother to lock my front door and car occasionally too. Not everywhere in England is crime ridden with yobs joy riding past every 10 seconds you know. Unless you read the Daily Mail of course, and then it is.

To the OP, this Wiki article may be of some use? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've personally been the victim of crime -petty thefts from our garage/cars in a "nice" area - in Canada. In the UK, incl 14 years living in Essex, I never was. Nor have any of my family or friends.

In answer to the question: Because that's where the Mrs is from so my choice was made for me.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:12 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to get away from the huge cheese n bacon mountains in the UK stores. We can shop in Canada without tripping over a mature chedder or pile of streaky.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
First time, because my partner at the time was Canadian. Second time, because my husband got transferred there. It was never actually a choice because of the country.

Generalise much? Perhaps I'd better go and put everything away before it gets 'nicked', and actually bother to lock my front door and car occasionally too. Not everywhere in England is crime ridden with yobs joy riding past every 10 seconds you know. Unless you read the Daily Mail of course, and then it is.

To the OP, this Wiki article may be of some use? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia
Agreed.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=trevorandjo york;9629085] oh yes, aussies also end every sentence with a high note, bloody annoying
QUOTE]

Canadians do the same...its not the crime free paved with gold paradise some people think either.

so why?..because and some one pointed out its not America...if i was fleunt in Scandanavian i would have moved there.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I cant speak for others but I do live in a largely crime free paradise. I came for the job offer initially of course, but enjoy the stress free living, the 4 season climate and a relaxed pace of life. I guess Im just happier here, thats what counts. Nothing wrong with the UK though that cant be fixed by either a better job or moving to a nicer area.

I was a little concerned at how I would take the the winter here, but to my surprise its not so bad, I actually enjoy the first few months, its just by the time March rolls I am looking forward to the next season. Right now I cant wait to get skiing again and the kids are all excited to get skating once more.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2011 at 4:56 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

OP.
Some love it, some hate it, some put up and shut up. If you make a mistake when you get here, it is only a flight to Oz...rent until you are sure. I stick to my comments about Australia though. Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:05 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

of course, if you look I'm sure there is also a thread somewhere on the relative merits of spiders vs. bears.
    Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:13 pm
    Just Joined

bmnewmarket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lensawyer
    Out of the whole world why did you chose Canada ??? We are trying to decide where we want to emigrate to we have been looking at oz but I like the idea of Canada although only just started looking into it. What made Canada the place for you and your family I must admit the weather does scare me.. Although that could be due to living in England and the slightest snowflake the whole country goes to pot lol
    For me there were a few things back in 1980, OZ was a long, long way away. Canada seemed much closer and was also closer to the US should that interest.

Plus when I first went to the library to have a look at both Canada and OZ the OZ book spoke about worms 4" diameter x 6 foot long, that was eenough for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.