Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

who cold is cold

who cold is cold

Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:55 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: who cold is cold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
No idea what I did to deserve that

All things are relative and depend on your experience - 27C would be bloody warm in Glasgow.
I remember one summer in Leicester it got to 37C for a couple of days - the place pretty much shut down.
Depends on what you're used to - let's not get subjective here
I totally agree. I grew up in southern Ontario, and it normally gets a hell of a lot hotter than Calgary - Edmonton. I can only face a long cold winter if I can count on a nice warm summer, and Alberta really cannot offer that. Lots of ex-pat Brits here, have stated how great the summers have been over the last 3 years (excluding this year). I warned them that the warm weather was associated with Alberta's drought, and that when the drought broke, the weather would be wetter and much cooler. Sure enough I was right - it's been a cool wet summer.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 19th 2004 at 1:58 am.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

No idea what I did to deserve that

I'm teasing....I'm teasing"!!!!!!!

All things are relative and depend on your experience - 27C would be bloody warm in Glasgow.
I remember one summer in Leicester it got to 37C for a couple of days - the place pretty much shut down.
Depends on what you're used to - let's not get subjective here
Well, than happens in Winnipeg in the summer - the sidewalks (no lie) are so hot one summer my shoes melted, and you couldn't walk on the sidewalks without getting burned - that a regular summer in Winnipeg, along with the black flies, deer flies, etc.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:06 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Sure enough I was right - it's been a cool wet summer.
And a lot warmer and longer than many I experienced in the UK - to be honest, the last couple of summers were a bit too hot. If it wan't for the rain, the summer would have been fine for me!

Originally Posted by willmore
the sidewalks (no lie) are so hot one summer my shoes melted, and you couldn't walk on the sidewalks without getting burned - that a regular summer in Winnipeg, along with the black flies, deer flies, etc
That's why we didn't move to the prairies

Everything is relative - if you come from somewhere cool and damp like most of the UK, southern Alberta is great - not too hot in summer, and funnily enough, not too cold in winter, with REAL snow that you can use for skiing, tobogganing, etc.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

thornhill is an unknown quantity at this point

How many summers have you spent here?

Coming from Glasgow, 80F is pretty good!! If the west of Scotland had 27C for most of the summer, we were happy.
I agree with Glaswegian, even if it was hot it was humid
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Ive been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering which of these areas (BC, NS, Ontario, Alberta) tends to get the longest summer?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:54 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by theDIV
Hi Guys,
Ive been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering which of these areas (BC, NS, Ontario, Alberta) tends to get the longest summer?
Kamloops, and Kelowna in BC, with Windsor in Ontario would have the longest "summers" in Canada.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:58 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

And the good news is in Winnipeg the first Snowfall of the new season was record on August 18th. :scared: break out the snowmobiles.

Its True, into todays Winnipeg Freepress, Snow fell in small flakes and Environment Canada says at this latitude all clouds are snow but it melts during the summer before getting to the ground.

50f 10c with a high forecast of 14c and theres not even a patch of sky in the cloud.

Now we only need the Geese to leave and winter will be here
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you kidding me - really?? snow on August 18th?/? - unbelieveable - that's right break out those snowmobiles.

Well 50f isn't too shabby, for fall I guess....BUT it's still summer - what on earth is going on in Winnipeg - I'm so......glad I live in Victoria.

Do you think that means a long hard winter?

Originally Posted by Grah
And the good news is in Winnipeg the first Snowfall of the new season was record on August 18th. :scared: break out the snowmobiles.

Its True, into todays Winnipeg Freepress, Snow fell in small flakes and Environment Canada says at this latitude all clouds are snow but it melts during the summer before getting to the ground.

50f 10c with a high forecast of 14c and theres not even a patch of sky in the cloud.

Now we only need the Geese to leave and winter will be here
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:02 pm
Glaswegian

We had snow in Calgary on August 1st 2002, then again our weather is loopy.

Some trees already seem to have decided that fall is on the way too!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yes, Ontario does have a problem with air pollution and ........
How far does the air pollution stretch into Ontario? Is it just GTA + surroundings or does the pollution reach Ottawa too?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:43 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Toontje
How far does the air pollution stretch into Ontario? Is it just GTA + surroundings or does the pollution reach Ottawa too?
Most of southern Ontario has some air pollution. As far as smog is concerned, it is worst along the highway 401 corridor. Cities from Windsor/Sarnia to Kitchener, Hamilton, and Toronto are about the worst. Ottawa has some air pollution, but it isn't considered to be a particularly bad area.

I grew up in Waterloo, and we had a cottage near Hanover. Hanover pretty much never has smog - so that was great. Traveling from Toronto to Hanover (to the north-west), once you get to Mount Forest you don't see much smog.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing this bit of information.
Quite a relief since I'm planning to move to Ottawa.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Pictures generally say more than words. This is a typical Moncton winter, just about the snowiest city in Canada for the size of it`s population. Only Newfoundland and Labrador does better (or worse)!!

I put this gallery together quickly a few weeks back, taken during last winter. All in all, a normal winter over here!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/images1.htm
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:28 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

How cold/snowy does it get in Nova Scotia?

I've read the stats, bit that does not really give a feel for the place in winter.

I know about the big dump last winter, but that was unusual, wasn't it?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Great picture - but, you know, if you hadn't told me that it was a Maritimes's winter - I would have assumed it to be winnipeg!!!!

Originally Posted by BritBob
Pictures generally say more than words. This is a typical Moncton winter, just about the snowiest city in Canada for the size of it`s population. Only Newfoundland and Labrador does better (or worse)!!

I put this gallery together quickly a few weeks back, taken during last winter. All in all, a normal winter over here!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/images1.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.