Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

who cold is cold

who cold is cold

Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

railman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: who cold is cold

We didn't go on the tour of the caves because we didn't know about them. That sounds good. Are the caves in Collingwood near the ski hill? We'll have to find out more about. When we went to Blue Mountain we found out what they do in the summer. Mountain biking. There were loads of people there. Don't know about doing that but we do like to ski so we will try out the ski hill in the winter.

We will also find out about the Niagra Escarpment because I like the sound of the hiking opportunities there. I used to be in a hiking club when I was younger and I am trying to get my family to start doing it. I will not have to be to hard to start with because my son is only 5. We took him for a 5 mile hike on Sunday and he said "my legs are falling off". I would love to go walking there I bet the scenery is stunning!

The more comments we read the more and more we like Barrie. The only thing that bothers me about it is the roads in the snow! Silly question but are they quite good at clearing the roads of snow? Or do they often get impassable? Do you get more snow in Barrie because of Lake Simcoe?

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
By the way, did you tour the caves in Blue Mountain? I did a few years ago, and they were pretty neat. These caves are small and narrow, but the Indians used to use them as refrigerators to store meat as they are very cold in the deepest parts. Some of the pathways (through the caves) are little more than a foot wide, so I was too chicken to go very deep - but my brother and his daughter went to the bottom. :scared:

Nearby Niagara Escarpment offers great hiking opportunities. Sort of like mountain climbing for rank amateurs such as myself. The view from "Nottawasaga Lookout" of Nottawasaga Bay (southern part of Georgian Bay) is awesome.

The benefit of Barrie is that you are central to much of the best that Ontario has to offer, but you do get a lot of snow there. For people who are into snowmobiling, that's just another advantage.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:01 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Yes , the caves are in Blue Mountain just west of Collingwood. Check this out:

http://www.sceniccaves.com/flash-index.htm

Blue Mountain also has a golf course.

The whole area around Collingwood (not the town itself), and the Niagara-On-the-Lake area are my two favorite parts of Ontario. As you know, Barrie is very close to Collingwood, Blue Mountain, Wasaga Beach, and cottage country to the north. And since Barrie is growing so fast, there have to be job opportunities - depending on the type of job you are looking for.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 24th 2004 at 7:05 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:29 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by railman
The more comments we read the more and more we like Barrie. The only thing that bothers me about it is the roads in the snow! Silly question but are they quite good at clearing the roads of snow? Or do they often get impassable? Do you get more snow in Barrie because of Lake Simcoe?
Throughout Ontario, they are are very good at removing snow. That should be especially true in Barrie because they get so much of it. Believe it or not, there are people who can't wait for winter. That's because they are into the winter sport scene: snowmobiling, hockey, skiing, ice fishing, you name it! Some Canadians get unhappy if they don't get enough snow, because it ruins the snowmobiling and skiing.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Throughout Ontario, they are are very good at removing snow. That should be especially true in Barrie because they get so much of it. Believe it or not, there are people who can't wait for winter. That's because they are into the winter sport scene: snowmobiling, hockey, skiing, ice fishing, you name it! Some Canadians get unhappy if they don't get enough snow, because it ruins the snowmobiling and skiing.
Just remember though, that they are using salt and and sand to remove the snow and help to melt it - so be absolutely sure that you get your car undercoated for protection, otherwise you will have a "rust'bucket' for a car in number of years. This just isn't for the Barrie - this practice of salt/sant is done throughout Ontario.

Also, make sure you go to a reputable dealer and GET really good either all-season tires or snow tired - my friends in Barrie even have chains for their tired in the winter.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I forgot to answer your question regarding the lake-effect snowfall for Barrie. That would come more from Georgian Bay rather than Lake Simcoe since the prevailing winds are from the west. Lake Simcoe is a bit small to cause much in the way of lake-effect snow in the first place.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 24th 2004 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:04 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by willmore
Just remember though, that they are using salt and and sand to remove the snow and help to melt it - so be absolutely sure that you get your car undercoated for protection, otherwise you will have a "rust'bucket' for a car in number of years. This just isn't for the Barrie - this practice of salt/sant is done throughout Ontario.

Also, make sure you go to a reputable dealer and GET really good either all-season tires or snow tired - my friends in Barrie even have chains for their tired in the winter.
Yes, I would even go with a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
my friends in Barrie even have chains for their tired in the winter.
I was under the impression chains were illegal on public roads in Ontario. Ive never seen a vehicle with them here. Generally 4x4/4WD/AWD is not necessary as snow clearance is pretty efficient unless you plan to live well off the beaten track, but I have AWD for the piece of mind it offers. I used to have 4x4 Jeep, but never knew when there was enough "slippage" to have it engaged in inbetween conditions without damaging the transmission. AWD is a good option as it is a no brainer, and great for cornering in the wet too!

With AWD and all seasons I havent had a problem yet. If I had FWD only I would invest in snow tires, although my wife just used All Seasons, she figures if its bad enough to need snow tires out there, then any trip can wait till its passed! Can you tell she isnt expected tomake it into work come hell or high water?

Iain
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the website I have just looked at it and found it very interesting, we will defintely give the caves a visit. Have you been across the suspension footbridge? We went to Vancouver last year and decided to go to the Capilano bridge. I have never been afraid of height until then :scared: The people infront of me rocked the bridge and the bridge shook and so did I! My husband and my daughter went on in front and I followed at a snail's pace behind holding my sons hand. My son made me laugh though because he said "It's alright Mum I'll look after you". (He's only 5.)

Workwise my husband is a mechanical fitter and I am training to be a Nursery assistant.

I am pleased about what you said about the clearing of the roads, as I said that was one thing that bothered me.

As for the winter sports they sound great fun.

Yes , the caves are in Blue Mountain just west of Collingwood. Check this out:

http://www.sceniccaves.com/flash-index.htm

Blue Mountain also has a golf course.

The whole area around Collingwood (not the town itself), and the Niagara-On-the-Lake area are my two favorite parts of Ontario. As you know, Barrie is very close to Collingwood, Blue Mountain, Wasaga Beach, and cottage country to the north. And since Barrie is growing so fast, there have to be job opportunities - depending on the type of job you are looking for.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=iaink]

You may be very right about the chains. My friends just casually mentioned in an e-mail last winter that they had to have chains put on their tires....because it had been so......icy and snowy trying to get to Blue Mountain.
Personally, I love your wife's attitude.....too many "nuts" out there - wanting to prove something......(especially the male specie) wanting to prove that nothing can "stop them" come rain, snow or sleet (sort of like the post office........)
When I was living in Kitchener I had all seasons on my Volkswagen Beetle and had no trouble with the snow/ice at all. My parents on the other hand, who learned to drive and drove in Manitoba and the Prairies for many years wouldn't be without snow tires......personal preference I guess.......
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Some good vechicle advice. We were wondering if to get something like a 4x4 if we moved to Barrie.

Your wife sounds very sensible!

Originally Posted by iaink
I was under the impression chains were illegal on public roads in Ontario. Ive never seen a vehicle with them here. Generally 4x4/4WD/AWD is not necessary as snow clearance is pretty efficient unless you plan to live well off the beaten track, but I have AWD for the piece of mind it offers. I used to have 4x4 Jeep, but never knew when there was enough "slippage" to have it engaged in inbetween conditions without damaging the transmission. AWD is a good option as it is a no brainer, and great for cornering in the wet too!

With AWD and all seasons I havent had a problem yet. If I had FWD only I would invest in snow tires, although my wife just used All Seasons, she figures if its bad enough to need snow tires out there, then any trip can wait till its passed! Can you tell she isnt expected tomake it into work come hell or high water?

Iain
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:55 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by railman
Thanks for the website I have just looked at it and found it very interesting, we will defintely give the caves a visit. Have you been across the suspension footbridge?
I didn't even know about the suspension bridge until I viewed that website myself - because the bridge was only built last year. I was there in 2002.

We went to Vancouver last year and decided to go to the Capilano bridge. I have never been afraid of height until then :scared: The people infront of me rocked the bridge and the bridge shook and so did I! My husband and my daughter went on in front and I followed at a snail's pace behind holding my sons hand. My son made me laugh though because he said "It's alright Mum I'll look after you". (He's only 5.)
That's hilarious! LOL!!

I am pleased about what you said about the clearing of the roads, as I said that was one thing that bothered me.

As for the winter sports they sound great fun.
Besides obtaining good employment, which is of prime importance, to be happy in Canada you have to enjoy the opportunities that nature presents. That includes outdoor winter activities. If you just sit at home and look out your window all winter waiting for summer to return, you'll go "cabin crazy".

Oh, by the way, the city clears the roads of snow, but it is your responsibility to clear the snow from the public sidewalk in front of your home. Of course, if you live in a condo or apartment building, that will be done for you.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 25th 2004 at 12:17 am.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=oceanMDX]

This questions is "somewhat" off topic but........We came in late the other evening......and just heard the end of the news....thought we heard something about a class action lawsuit against the suspension bridge - know anything about this.....or was I just dreaming.......is the lawsuit from the woman whose baby "accidently" fall over???????
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:54 am
mañana is my busiest day

I didn't hear anything about a lawsuit.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't hear anything about a lawsuit.
Still a bit off-topic....but I just didn't want to leave it as a rumour. In the Province the other day.....the mother who accidently dropped baby from bridge is suing the owners of the bridge for damages because she can't hold down a job in Toronto and is suffering from on-going emotional stress because of the negative publicity still surrounding the case 5 years later.