Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where are most brits moving to and why.

View Poll Results: which region are brits moving to or wanting to
AB
21.88%
BC
27.08%
MB
2.43%
NB
4.86%
NL
1.39%
NS
15.63%
NT
0
0%
NU
0.35%
ON
25.35%
PE
2.08%
QC
2.43%
SK
3.82%
YT
0.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

where are most brits moving to and why.

Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:03 am
  #61  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Woking to North Vancouver to Basingstoke to Toronto ...
Posts: 33
leoline will become famous soon enough
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by smiges33 View Post
just thought id see where most people are moving to are wanting to move to. as for myself i seem more inclined at the minute for NS as the house prices seem a lot lower there.
Gosh, this makes interesting reading. We are heading to the GTA - mainly because of work. Never considered the Maritimes but it sounds appealing. Like the idea of low house prices and being near the sea. We spent some time in Vancouver - it's expensive, it rains a lot and breaking into the job market is not easy.

Leo
leoline is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:21 am
  #62  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: In a dream!
Posts: 219
welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Cool Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by JSHalifax View Post
. AS for rain we have never experienced as many grey days with rain as the UK and NB has lots more snow, we are also predominantly english speaking here and in NB has a large amount of francophones where french is sometimes the first language that didnt appeal to us either.....
June
We've checked out the language stats for New Brunswick. Yes, the further north you go there, the more French becomes the first language. However in Fredericton the majority or English speakers first. In fact only 2% speak French as their first language.

Also, here are some weather facts. Each to their own, but 1225mm in a year, that's only 200mm or 300mm off what we get in Swansea, UK! Granted you probably get it in big dumps rather than a spread, but still. As you can see, we are seeking more sun, less rain, warmer summers, less wind and less cloud. OK Fredericton has more snow, but it ticks more of the other boxes than Halifax and the snow will be drier (less slush) than that you get in Halifax. The kids will love it.

Weather Stats
Rainiest City Ranking (Canada)
Halifax 6th worst, Fredericton 18th worst
Total yearly rainfall
Halifax 1225 mm, Fredericton 885 mm
Most wet days ranking
Halifax 34th worst, Fredericton 54th worst
Snowiest City Ranking
Halifax 87th worst, Fredericton 23rd worst
Total yearly snowfall
Halifax 176 mm, Fredericton 275 mm
Hottest Summer Ranking
Halifax 88th best, Fredericton 33rd best
Coldest Winter Ranking
Halifax 81st worst, Fredericton 45th worst
Foggiest City Ranking
Halifax 2nd worst, Fredericton 28th worst
Sunniest Winter Ranking
Halifax 10th best, Fredericton 4th best
Windiest City Ranking
Halifax 27th worst, Fredericton 60th worst
Cloudiest days yearly
Halifax 13th worst, Fredericton 59th worst
Clearest skies yearly
Halifax 68th best, Fredericton 37th best

Last edited by welshmountie; Jan 31st 2008 at 11:30 am.
welshmountie is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:49 am
  #63  
BE Enthusiast
 
RedMonsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 592
RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by welshmountie View Post
We've checked out the language stats for New Brunswick. Yes, the further north you go there, the more French becomes the first language. However in Fredericton the majority or English speakers first. In fact only 2% speak French as their first language.

Also, here are some weather facts. Each to their own, but 1225mm in a year, that's only 200mm or 300mm off what we get in Swansea, UK! Granted you probably get it in big dumps rather than a spread, but still. As you can see, we are seeking more sun, less rain, warmer summers, less wind and less cloud. OK Fredericton has more snow, but it ticks more of the other boxes than Halifax and the snow will be drier (less slush) than that you get in Halifax. The kids will love it.

Weather Stats
Rainiest City Ranking (Canada)
Halifax 6th worst, Fredericton 18th worst
Total yearly rainfall
Halifax 1225 mm, Fredericton 885 mm
Most wet days ranking
Halifax 34th worst, Fredericton 54th worst
Snowiest City Ranking
Halifax 87th worst, Fredericton 23rd worst
Total yearly snowfall
Halifax 176 mm, Fredericton 275 mm
Hottest Summer Ranking
Halifax 88th best, Fredericton 33rd best
Coldest Winter Ranking
Halifax 81st worst, Fredericton 45th worst
Foggiest City Ranking
Halifax 2nd worst, Fredericton 28th worst
Sunniest Winter Ranking
Halifax 10th best, Fredericton 4th best
Windiest City Ranking
Halifax 27th worst, Fredericton 60th worst
Cloudiest days yearly
Halifax 13th worst, Fredericton 59th worst
Clearest skies yearly
Halifax 68th best, Fredericton 37th best
Interesting read, how do towns just outside of Vancouver compare?
RedMonsk is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:58 am
  #64  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: In a dream!
Posts: 219
welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by RedMonsk View Post
Interesting read, how do towns just outside of Vancouver compare?
This is an excellent statistical/records weather site for Canadian cities:
http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/intro-e.html
welshmountie is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:37 pm
  #65  
BE Enthusiast
 
RedMonsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 592
RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Thank you!
RedMonsk is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm
  #66  
Immigration Consultant
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,144
Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

This may be useful for anyone thinking of moving to Halifax and concerned about the high rainfall....

I was quite concerned when I saw the stats for the city we were planning to move to a few years back but it didnt turn out to be as bad as I expected. Basically in the winter its predominantly snow not rain (although this year seems to have had an anoying pattern of every snow storm warming up and turning to rain towards the end). In the spring (May mainly) there does seem to be quite a bit of rain. In the summer (june/july/aug) however there seems to be quite a predicatable pattern where its humid during the day and then at night the air cools, moisture condenses, and it rains heavily. So most of the summer rainfall you see on offical stats occurs during the night. Personally I dont think that really counts - if its doing it while you're asleep who cares!
Paul Wildy is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:12 pm
  #67  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Halifax. Nova Scotia
Posts: 177
JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

I agree with NSPaul, and not sure how you can have "drier snow in Fredericton" Brits on the move do seem obsessed with the weather stats!
June
JSHalifax is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:39 am
  #68  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
smiges33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
Posts: 277
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

see no one moved to nt or nu. wonder why that is then
smiges33 is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:30 pm
  #69  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by JSHalifax View Post
Can you please come to Nova Scotia we need you here.. not enough of us to go around!
Maritimers are so friendly, we have never lived anywhere where I felt so at home, property prices are better here and at the moment we have lifted the cap on the amount of people that can come via the NSPNP... we also made a lovely video about Halifax came on line last week..www.bfic.net
see if you can spot the people with the hampshire accents!
June
Love your website. Video diaries are a lovely addition. Hope your website continues to grow

PS - recognised another friendly couple in your videos
Cookie is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:34 pm
  #70  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,700
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by NSpaul View Post
This may be useful for anyone thinking of moving to Halifax and concerned about the high rainfall....

I was quite concerned when I saw the stats for the city we were planning to move to a few years back but it didnt turn out to be as bad as I expected. Basically in the winter its predominantly snow not rain (although this year seems to have had an anoying pattern of every snow storm warming up and turning to rain towards the end). In the spring (May mainly) there does seem to be quite a bit of rain. In the summer (june/july/aug) however there seems to be quite a predicatable pattern where its humid during the day and then at night the air cools, moisture condenses, and it rains heavily. So most of the summer rainfall you see on offical stats occurs during the night. Personally I dont think that really counts - if its doing it while you're asleep who cares!
Summer rainfall, especially at night, keeps the land looking lovely and green

I found the summer of 2007 really hot - nothing like I was used to back in Scotland.
Cookie is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:42 pm
  #71  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Halifax. Nova Scotia
Posts: 177
JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Thanks, although its not officially our website, The Building Better Futures In Canada Project approached us to represent Brits who had settled in N.S we were very honoured and had a blast during the filming! ( got a free lunch too) The government had some funding and wanted to make the portal more user friendly it takes you to the "going to Canada website" which is a bit more business like...do you think it has acheived that? Mr and Mrs Novaboy were our guests at the time and we managed to get them their three mins of fame! I very keen on starting a networking group in Halifax for newcomers as we don't really look like a visible minority , but we still need support and information when we arrive.
June
JSHalifax is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:21 pm
  #72  
BE Enthusiast
 
danfolkestone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 373
danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Alberta is where we're headed, either Calgary or Airdrie. The wife lived in Calgary for most of her life before whe came here, and her parents are still there, which is why we're moving over.
danfolkestone is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:31 pm
  #73  
Jedi
 
andrewrb143's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 549
andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

I can't believe so few people consider Manitoba. You can get everything in this frigid, flat land of lakes of lakes, trees and farmers.

Even Saskatchewan beats MB, this poll is a fix!!
andrewrb143 is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:50 pm
  #74  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
smiges33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
Posts: 277
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by andrewrb143 View Post
I can't believe so few people consider Manitoba. You can get everything in this frigid, flat land of lakes of lakes, trees and farmers.

Even Saskatchewan beats MB, this poll is a fix!!
well if 219 people can collectively manage a fix from across 2 continets thats an acheivement. dont forget that a lot of folkes will not have moved yet so they put down where they would like to go.
smiges33 is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:10 pm
  #75  
No really, it doesn't
 
jimmydean's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Rural Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,815
jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Only NT not got a vote yet. Amazing given its size..


Is there anything going for it? Its been on UK TV every other night for last month !!!!!!
jimmydean is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.