SK
3.82%
YT
0.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

where are most brits moving to and why.

Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by smiges33
new a squaddie once who said he was brought up in germany till he was 12. he only spoke german then. now he cant speak a word of it. no doubt if you are going back there after leaving at five you will have a bit of catching up to do
As I said, I'm not moving back to Montreal - for more reasons than just the french language. I will however go back to school to learn french, as I do hope one day to have a partner and family, and feel 2 languages is better than one and kids should have that chance. The only downside in learning 'quebequa; sp is the accent... It's laughed at outside of Quebec!

Bxxx
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

good luck. couldnt master french at school. spent most of 20 years in germany. and still struggle. but get by. then again launguages was never my strong point
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:41 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

'Cos my family are in Cambridge, although we did move a two hour drive away! Oh yeh... and I got a job here too!!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
The only downside in learning 'quebequa; sp is the accent. It's laughed at outside of Quebec!

Bxxx
Interesting comment which I will not dispute because it has the ring of truth.

But those who take this elitist snobbish attitude are only displaying their own ignorance.

I myself speak German, High German as spoken in Berlin not Bavaria. I have great difficulty understanding Swiss German. It might as well be another language. Same goes for Haitian French. On the other hand Africans from Ivory Coast sound very much like those from Paris or Geneva.

One needs to adapt. I have learned Quebecois French but can revert to the Parisian dialect with ease.

Also, I spent some time in Edinburgh, no problem. But 'Glasgow English' I had trouble with.

Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:39 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Interesting comment which I will not dispute because it has the ring of truth.

But those who take this elitist snobbish attitude are only displaying their own ignorance.

I myself speak German, High German as spoken in Berlin not Bavaria. I have great difficulty understanding Swiss German. It might as well be another language. Same goes for Haitian French. On the other hand Africans from Ivory Coast sound very much like those from Paris or Geneva.

One needs to adapt. I have learned Quebecois French but can revert to the Parisian dialect with ease.

Also, I spent some time in Edinburgh, no problem. But 'Glasgow English' I had trouble with.

Awayanshiteyabassa!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

update just for the nova scotia question
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:25 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Newfoundland.

Why? Great accent, cool 1/2 hr time difference (in our own wee zone!), good pubs, good music.

Although, never been to NS, hoping to visit. Hubby wants to visit the Yukon and Labrador!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

interesting results. it appears that most folks move mainly to 4 area's
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:34 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

We chose SW Ontario because we'd lived in Ontario, albeit a different part, many years ago, and chose this particular area because we have Canadian friends here......wish we'd chosen rural NS though............I'd love to be near the sea and nearer the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Well initially it was Ontario.... the Belleville area. I guess because I know Ontario best and my Dad still lives in Sarnia (relatively close to Belleville), the pull was greater. We particularly liked Prince Edward County (not the island province) because of its loyalist links, rolling countryside and last but not least all that wine they produce. However, Canada is a huge place and lots to choose from. Ideally I'd prefer Calgary but the OH thinks this is too far to travel back to UK when (if) the desire ever arose. To be fair it would be a bit too far for aging relatives. Anyway, to cut a long story short, New Brunswick seems to be the place for us. Watch this space though, in a few years time it could be the Yukon or NWT.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Can you please come to Nova Scotia we need you here.. not enough of us to go around!
Maritimers are so friendly, we have never lived anywhere where I felt so at home, property prices are better here and at the moment we have lifted the cap on the amount of people that can come via the NSPNP... we also made a lovely video about Halifax came on line last week..www.bfic.net
see if you can spot the people with the hampshire accents!
June
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

BC at the moment, because the climate seems milder, you can get sea and mountain and we hope that there is plenty of work for carpenters!?

Am open to other suggestions though!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Hi, we thought of halifax first it looks a lovely place with great links to the UK. but were put off at the amount of rainfall compared to New Brunswick. JO
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Hi there, Halifax is a vibrant city with a lot of history (compared to other Canadian cities ) New Brunswick never had that appeal to us . AS for rain we have never experienced as many grey days with rain as the UK and NB has lots more snow, we are also predominantly english speaking here and in NB has a large amount of francophones where french is sometimes the first language that didnt appeal to us either.....
Halifax airport is still main stream enough to have flights direct to Uk. at only 6 hours away...
June
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:46 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta its where OH got job offer and OH said it was really nice there,so I am happy to plod along and I can see its going to be fun if people cant understand us Glasgow folk.Im use to talking to 4 walls ah well bigger house more walls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.