Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Is that internet slang for "Yellows And Wogs Neither"?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:05 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in SW, close to LRT, close to trans Canada.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm biased but Country Hills is the best place in Calgary to live, and there's a good mix of white, brown, yellow, black and orange people here...so eventually the area will become a sort of greyish autumnal coloured people neighbourhood
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
i'm biased but Country Hills is the best place in Calgary to live
How did you come to that conclusion?

I often hear people going on about the "mountain view" in the NW that you can only see with a periscope. There are some nice houses up there no doubt but most of it is recently built and nothing too terribly exciting.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

because i live here

In honesty though, i've easy access to Stoney and Deerfoot for work, easy access to public transport links to go downtown and if i go out on piss, its only about $20 for a taxi home.

Its much quieter than staying downtown, and i have a house with a garage rather than staying in a condo block which seems to be the norm for the guys i know who stay downtown

i have all amenities on my doorstep basically

there's probably other neighbourhoods that offer this...but having only stayed in Renfrew other than here, Country Hills wins hands down

the only thing that pisses me off a bit about my house is the fact that of the 3 ways i can get to it, every single one of them has a school zone or playground zone on it at somepoint....nightmare if you happen to hit the schools at busy times...school parents are the stupidest laziest people on the planet
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:36 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Things for the OP to consider are:
- where is your husband working and what's his maximum commute time.
- will you have a car to get around while hubby is at work or will you be relying on transit

The rest is down to personal preference as to whether you want older or newer housing, suburb or more inner city, facilities like a community social club, recreation facilities, shopping, lake community, etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
My friend has a house in the north of Calgary and he is fed up with all the Comanche raiding parties stealing his patio furniture.

Pervy.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Pervy.
No, Colin.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
little bit, housing is hard to find, and seems to be expensive.
the plan seems to be to try and find digs near to transit system, apparently the North and South west are full of Indians and other middle easterners so I reckon I will be aiming for the east side and apparently the south has the best transport links for the public, and the north you will need a car or a lift.

the above I was told by a friend don't know how true it is, it was a while since he lived there, I am sure someone on here will tell you how close it is to the truth.
and whereabouts in Calgary do you live exactly???
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
I live in SW, close to LRT, close to trans Canada.
Except that Highway 1 is in the north of the city
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the NW and love it.

40 minutes to the mountains and a fabulous view of them from my house.

Hop and a skip to the nearest LRT.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Until someone builds some more houses in front of it, really there was a house I nearly bought up in Panorama Hills I think it was and last time I was up there they'd built even more houses to the west of it and I couldn't see a bloody thing.

the only thing that pisses me off a bit about my house is the fact that of the 3 ways i can get to it, every single one of them has a school zone or playground zone on it at somepoint....nightmare if you happen to hit the schools at busy times...school parents are the stupidest laziest people on the planet
I couldn't drive down Country Hills Blvd on a regular basis, drives me nuts, eastbound it's all featureless and there are just more and more and more houses that all look the same, it's very disorientating.

What scares me is driving around the NE ring road because there isn't much there at present but it's totally obvious that eventually that whole area is going to be completely covered with houses.

It really is quite shocking how rapidly Calgary is changing, some of the things people who've visited here or lived here a few years ago say about the place just sound so outdated now.

The whole ethnic thing is what makes me laugh, it really does. I guess white people immigrate from countries where the other ethnicities are worse off but really Calgary would grind to a halt without the First Nations and where exactly is the ghetto in Calgary?

The comment about Indians did make me laugh because erm... what ethnicity is the mayor again?