Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

victoria_paula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where is the best place to live in Calgary

Hi, All

I am after some information on Calgary I am relocating there in March and I am wondering where the best place is to live. I have a ten yr old son, so it would be nice to be close to schools. My husband already has a job In calgary .

Any information you could give me would be great .

Victoria
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Calgary

What do you like to do; where would you like to live.

Give us a clue
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victoria_paula
Hi, All

I am after some information on Calgary I am relocating there in March and I am wondering where the best place is to live. I have a ten yr old son, so it would be nice to be close to schools. My husband already has a job In calgary .

Any information you could give me would be great .

Victoria
I suspect you're going to be close to schools wherever you chose to live in the city.
Having had a very brief introduction to the traffic last week, I would make sure you live as close as reasonably possible to your husbands job if he's going to be commuting at rush hour.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of threads on here already about best place to live in Calgary. The answer (if you're minted) is Elbow Drive, Mount Royal or around the reservoir, although the logic has changed a bit since the flood.

Housing market is really tight in Calgary so frankly you're going to end up living where you can find somewhere to live.

Most of it is cookie cutter-type suburbs.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

little bit, housing is hard to find, and seems to be expensive.
the plan seems to be to try and find digs near to transit system, apparently the North and South west are full of Indians and other middle easterners so I reckon I will be aiming for the east side and apparently the south has the best transport links for the public, and the north you will need a car or a lift.

the above I was told by a friend don't know how true it is, it was a while since he lived there, I am sure someone on here will tell you how close it is to the truth.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
...apparently the North and South west are full of Indians and other middle easterners so I reckon I will be aiming for the east side ...
Yes, you better keep away from them. Most are at least second generation Canadian and don't like immigrants.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has a house in the north of Calgary and he is fed up with all the Comanche raiding parties stealing his patio furniture.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

the plan seems to be to try and find digs near to transit system, apparently the North and South west are full of Indians and other middle easterners so I reckon I will be aiming for the east side and apparently the south has the best transport links for the public, and the north you will need a car or a lift.

the above I was told by a friend don't know how true it is, it was a while since he lived there, I am sure someone on here will tell you how close it is to the truth.
Wow
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
My friend has a house in the north of Calgary and he is fed up with all the Comanche raiding parties stealing his patio furniture.
Can't he just listen out for when the drums stop beating and then take it inside?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
on camels.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty much untrue.

Any experience prior to say last year I think is largely worthless because the city has changed massively in the last ten years.

For example the completion of the east ring road makes it easier. There are no "ethnic" areas anymore per se, because there has been so much immigration in the last few years. Only possible exception imo is Chinatown. To say "the east side" is somehow less ethnic is a joke. Have a look around Applewood or Forest Lawn. I used to hear people say there were lots of Indians in the NE but they don't anymore, it's just general.

If being near people of different ethnicity is a problem for you, Calgary is definitely not your sort of place. Bear in mind First Nations are a large component of the population.

The southwest is considered one of the better places to live, especially around the reservoir. Elbow Drive is in the southwest which is the superposh area, that and Mount Royal which is also mainly in the southwest.

Also saying the south has superior public transport is wholly inaccurate, the #1 complaint in the south is the lack of public transport.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

not my problem just how it was said to me, we tend not to mince our words as much in construction people are harder to offend.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

not my problem just how it was said to me, we tend not to mince our words as much in construction people are harder to offend.
What's the polite way to say "I don't want to live next door to a brown guy?"
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

yawn
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

yawn
Is that internet slang for "Yellows And Wogs Neither"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.