Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When we land at Calgary - help please?

When we land at Calgary - help please?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:38 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice
Default When we land at Calgary - help please?

Hey everyone!

So we fly out to Calgary next Wednesday 5th December and was hoping for a few pointers please. I have searched the forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

When we get off the plane in Calgary is there any particular que we should join to sort out our work permits? I have to be honest, I am quite scared at the prospects of this.. I don't know if we collect our bags first then do the immigration/work permit bit, or what??

After we have done all that, we then need to find the Cargo terminal to collect our dogs, I have directions in place for that as it's not within walking distance. So, if some of you could maybe share your experience after getting off the plane in Calgary and after.. that would hopefully ease my stress levels before I go and get the dogs!!

Also, and maybe Former Lancastarian can answer this for me please??. Can I take my blood sugar level tester and a couple of sharps with me in my hand luggage??

I have put 3 months worth of meds for myself and hubby into each of our suitcases to be put on as checked baggage and we have proof of the meds required from my GP here in the UK... will this be sufficient?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before

Thanks everyone
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When we land at Calgary - help please?

Im not sure if Calgary has a residents and non residents line. When you reach a CBSA officer you just tell them you are applying for a work permit and you will be directed to the Immigration office.
As for the blood sugar tester and sharps security at your departure airport decide what can be carried so we dont have a say in that.
Make sure you are carrying any paperwork in your carry on rather than checked baggage. I find it amusing when LMOs, contracts etc are in checked bags that dont arrive the traveller not as amused
CBSA will give you directions on how to collect your dogs.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:03 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JulieLord ...

Former Lancastrian has concisely answered your questions so I just want to send you (and your dogs!) good wishes for your trip.

I'm sure there are so many things swimming around in your mind at the moment but just breathe deeply when you step off the plane and take everything one step at a time.

You'll be fine and welcome to Calgary ... and onwards to Saskatoon!

J
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:04 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im not sure if Calgary has a residents and non residents line. When you reach a CBSA officer you just tell them you are applying for a work permit and you will be directed to the Immigration office.
As for the blood sugar tester and sharps security at your departure airport decide what can be carried so we dont have a say in that.
Make sure you are carrying any paperwork in your carry on rather than checked baggage. I find it amusing when LMOs, contracts etc are in checked bags that dont arrive the traveller not as amused
CBSA will give you directions on how to collect your dogs.
Thanks for the advice.. you are a star!

lol, don't worry, I shall have my paperwork in my carry on.

cheers
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:05 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hi JulieLord ...

Former Lancastrian has concisely answered your questions so I just want to send you (and your dogs!) good wishes for your trip.

I'm sure there are so many things swimming around in your mind at the moment but just breathe deeply when you step off the plane and take everything one step at a time.

You'll be fine and welcome to Calgary ... and onwards to Saskatoon!

J
Thanks soo much!! yep, my head is in a shed right now!!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

The Calgary airport is so much smaller than we Brits are used to (flying from Heathrow anyway). You have nothing to worry about at all. Our dog was waiting for us by the back wall with all the prams and car seats

Have a good flight
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

As noted FL has answered your specific questions, but I just wanted to say don't worry about it. We were similarly nervous when we landed a couple of years ago, but it was all very straightforward and all the officials (CBSA, immigration, airport, etc) couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.
Main thing to remember is to have all your paperwork in you hand baggage as you'll need some of it before you get youe hold baggage.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:37 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance... I might be able to get excited now !!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Questions to avoid asking CBSA officers when arriving in Calgary.

Where is your cowboy hat
I bet you drive a Ford F150 with a gun rack.
Which is the best chippy and do they sell mushy peas.
Is it cold outside
Do you have taxis outside
Is the Deerfoot Trail busy and easy to drive on
Wow you dont have much of an accent
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:52 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Where is your cowboy hat
Is it cold outside
lol!!

Lets just hope they will be kind to me when I say I'm going to be living and working in Saskatchewan!

I'd love to be a CBSA officer
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

mkmicky1 is an unknown quantity at this point

or if your really brave you could go wow you really do have an accent like and american.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:55 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Originally Posted by mkmicky1
or if your really brave you could go wow you really do have an accent like and american.
I think I will just answer questions when asked, be polite, smile and hope they like my Welsh accent!!!! ha ha
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to mention, double check the paperwok once its done.

They messed up my name on my TWP

Last edited by beautiful050278; Nov 28th 2012 at 4:06 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:01 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
I fogrot to mention, double check the paperwok once its done.

They messed up my name on my TWP
Okie dokie, shall do. Thank you :-
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:49 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is your cowboy hat
Is it cold outside
Must not get paid much - I thought everyone had a turbo diesel F350 with a lift kit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.