Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to plug the car in?!

When to plug the car in?!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:57 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When to plug the car in?!

Originally Posted by iaink
REmind me not to buy a used car from you!

Anything below -12 and regular 5 or 10 W30 oil will get too thick to do much effective lubrication on start up.
On the contrary, you would do very well if you bought my 18-year old 1988 Toyota-4 Runner. I seldom used the block heater even at -43 C and the compression is excellent at 313,000 km. The rest of the truck is falling apart, but the engine feels as powerful as it did when new and is just as smooth. I used 5W-30 for the winters in Alberta (7 years), and 10W-30 the rest of the time.

You may think what you want, but I have read more than a little about this topic, and you have overstated the magnitude of the cold-weather startup problem with respect to engine wear and the benefit that an engine heater offers to reduce this. Keep in mind that a block heater uses a significant amount of electricity, so you ought not use it unless it is truly necessary. If you believe that the money spent on electricity is a good investment to prevent possible future costs as the consequence of cold starting, then you are making a big mistake! In addition, your claim that 5W-30 is too thick to lubricate a cold engine at anything below -12c is patently false! I expect better technical information from you iaink.

While it is true that most engine wear occurs during the first minute of startup - especially if the engine is very cold - it doesn't follow that you really need to plug the vehicle at any temperature below -12C.

The actual purpose of engine block heating is to make it easier to turn the engine over to get it started. Another benefit is that you will be able to warm up the cabin of the vehicle much sooner at low temperatures since the block heater directly warms the coolant that flows through the engine block. In other words, you truly only need to use an engine block heater if you might not be able to start the engine if you didn't warm the engine up first. Generally, gas engines in good condition (and with a good battery) should not have any trouble starting down to -20 C. At -30 C and below, the benefit of a block heater becomes very obvious.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 14th 2006 at 6:59 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

err....

maybe the point that the use of a block heater helps with fuel economy...

that's why I use it in weather below 0 deg C !!

to quote the Canadian government: In temperatures below 0°C, block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by 10 % or more.

Last edited by MikeUK; Feb 14th 2006 at 7:18 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:19 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macadian
So very true...even if you use modern day synthetics too. Nothing to beat a little 'pre-heat' before we get going for real.... ... and not just for cars!
Sorry, but so very untrue. Where do you guys get your facts?

Even 10W-30 is good down to -18 C according to Toyota (Honda says it's good down to -20C). Both Toyota and Honda (from my owner's manuals) say that 5W-30 is fine for any temperature below that. Nowhere in either of my manuals do Toyota or Honda suggest using anything less viscous than 5W-20.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
On the contrary, <snip> .
Not going to argue the technical points of viscoelastic properties, wear rates and technical recomendations from the manufacturers, or synthetic vs regular oils, or the meaning of various SAE codes anymore. Take some motor oil, stick it in the freezer (or outside), observe the effect on viscosity and then decide if it looks up to the job

As the government recomends use below 0°C as a fuel saving measure, and the cost of the electricity at 400W for 2 hours a day is negligable (well, ~5c anyway, so its cost almost a buck so far this year ), I will not worry about the rest of the pseudoscience posted, and will leave it to the original poster to decide at what point they want to plug in.

Then there is the winter driving section at canadiandriver
http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/031105.htm
http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/030312.htm
"Vehicles subjected to Canada's cold winter starts experience more engine wear in a couple years than a California vehicle may in a couple decades of starts."

or all of the links and testimonials here
http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/chalk...r_driving.html

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:25 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:35 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Sure, it will still start most of the time, block heaters arent about getting it started, they are about extending engine life and reducing repair cost. There are a few good reasons to pony up the $50.
That is very much untrue iaink - shame on you!

1. Oil gets thick when cold, and wont properly flow to lubricate the bearings so you get a lot of metal on metal contact and grinding until the combustion process has heated the oil enough to allow it to do its job.
This is also untrue. Even after sitting for months a film of oil remains on the engine parts, so there is some instant lubrication, but it's not ideal until the oil pressure has time to build up.

2. The crankshaft is probably half immersed in this gelatinous oil, so your starter needs to overcome all that extra friction to fire up the engine. This increasess the strain on the starter motor, shortening its life
No, the crankshaft is not immersed in oil. At know time is the crankshaft immersed in oil. Where to you get this misinformation?

I once over filled my engine oil, and the master mechanic (service manager at a GM dealership) absolutely was adamant that the extra oil be removed, because if it wasn't the crankshaft could smash into the oil (in the oil pan) - and that this was not a good thing.

3. Increased strain on the starter pulls more amps from your battery. The battery is already struggling in the cold to generate enough power, as its a chemical reaction, and chemical reactions go half as fast for about each 10C temp drop. This might mean it wont start on V cold days, and will reduce battery life at best. In real cold climates there are battery heating blankets available to help out.
Agreed!

4. Warm oil = warm engine= effective heater sooner in the morning.
A fine point, but all the engine block heaters that I have ever seen heat the engine coolant - not the oil. The oil is warmed indirectly.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That is very much untrue iaink - shame on you!
In what way??? See the canadian driver article linked above

This is also untrue. Even after sitting for months a film of oil remains on the engine parts, so there is some instant lubrication, but it's not ideal until the oil pressure has time to build up.
Which is scraped off and not replaced after the first revolution to some extent when cold

No, the crankshaft is not immersed in oil. At know time is the crankshaft immersed in oil. Where to you get this misinformation?

I once over filled my engine oil, and the master mechanic (service manager at a GM dealership) absolutely was adamant that the extra oil be removed, because if it wasn't the crankshaft could smash into the oil (in the oil pan) - and that this was not a good thing.
I stand corrected, Im not a mechanical engineer, I'm a materials engineer, strangely, working in ceramics we are taught a bit about tribology, lubrication and wear, even if the crank isnt immersed, you still have to pump the thickened oil for it to do any good

Agreed!

A fine point, but all the engine block heaters that I have ever seen heat the engine coolant - not the oil. The oil is warmed indirectly.
WHATEVER Some are, some arent, the in hose coolant heater types are actually not the only type, they are good, but are generally more expensive and take longer (= cost more) to install.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sorry, but so very untrue. Where do you guys get your facts?

Even 10W-30 is good down to -18 C according to Toyota (Honda says it's good down to -20C). Both Toyota and Honda (from my owner's manuals) say that 5W-30 is fine for any temperature below that. Nowhere in either of my manuals do Toyota or Honda suggest using anything less viscous than 5W-20.
No one is talking about changing oil grades here, its a red herring after all in a few minutes the oil is up to temperature anyway, its just what happens in those first few seconds that is the concern.

Just curious at what temperature your Honda and Toyota techs recommend the use of a block heater?

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:27 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No one is talking about changing oil grades here, its a red herring after all in a few minutes the oil is up to temperature anyway, its just what happesn in those first few seconds that is the concern.

Just curious at what temperature your Honda and Toyota techs recommend the use of a block heater?
In Los Cabos or in Vancouver ?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:03 pm
mañana is my busiest day

If we are going to quote government websites, heres one
http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/oneto...ips/html/6.asp

"Use a block heater on a timer when the temperature drops below 0°C

A block heater warms the oil and engine coolant, making it easier to start your vehicle and improving winter fuel economy by as much as 10%. Set your block heater on a timer to switch on two hours before you plan to drive
"
This would be correct if only the electricity to operate a block heater was free. They are nuts to suggest that using a block heater at -2C makes any economic sense. Understand that an engine block heater is on all the time once it is on - it has no thermostat.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Understand that an engine block heater is on all the time once it is on - it has no thermostat.
which is why they say use a timer for two hours (which i do)
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Hangman
My point was the engine car still feels to me like it did when it came out of the showroom performance wise and uses no more oil then it did when newly broken in. In other words it is still mechanically sound after fourteen years or at least that's what I'm being told by my mechanic.

Plugging in a vehicle at 0c or even -12C certainly isn't doing it any harm. I just think you are wasting electricity.
Exactly, only my Toyota 4-Runner is 18 years old and the engine oil consumption has never changed. The engine is as smooth and as powerful as when it was new. I very seldom used the engine block heat, and I used it in central Alberta for 7 years.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

This would be correct if only the electricity to operate a block heater was free. They are nuts to suggest that using a block heater at -2C makes any economic sense. Understand that an engine block heater is on all the time once it is on - it has no thermostat.
Lets do the math shall we.

Timer from crappy tire. $15 so say $1.50 a year, unless you are dbbs neighbourhood)

On for 2h average, 400W heater, 0.8kwh a day at 7c per kwh

Say 2 months of cold weather (in Ontario) although about half that this year. Probably a bit more than that of you use zero as the threshold
100days? so 100x.8x7c = $5.60 a year, plus the cost of the timer makes $7.10 a year, or about 9 liters of gas.

I use about 120l of gas a month, so even if I saved only 2.5% fuel through using the block heater I would still come out ahead over a 3 month winter, but thats not why I use one anyway.

I have no idea what they mean by "save 10% fuel" though, is that overall?, or on instantaneous fuel needs on startup (more likely?) , so yes, its stupid, and I agree that 0°C is too warm to really need to plug the car in.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:13 pm
mañana is my busiest day

You are free to believe whatever you like. I'll stick with the science behind the benefit of pluging in at warmer temperatures and the advice of a friend with a PhD in Tribology.
You are free to have your own opinions, but not your own set of facts.

I suppose you think your friend knows more than the combined knowledge of all the tribologists at Toyota, GM and Honda. By the way, is he standing over your shoulder telling you what to write?

Thanks, but I'll go by what my vehicle owner's manuals have to say on this subject.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Exactly, only my Toyota 4-Runner is 18 years old and the engine oil consumption has never changed. The engine is as smooth and as powerful as when it was new. I very seldom used the engine block heat, and I used it in central Alberta for 7 years.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhh

This has NOTHING to do with oil consumption. Hopefully its smoother and more powerfull than when new, now its run in, BUT one car is hardly statistically significant when it comes to failure mode analysis now is it!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:27 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by MikeUK
err....

maybe the point that the use of a block heater helps with fuel economy...

that's why I use it in weather below 0 deg C !!

to quote the Canadian government: In temperatures below 0°C, block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by 10 % or more.
Any improvement in fuel economy due to the use of at block heater at say -2 C wouldn't even come close to the cost of electricity. Most cradle Canadians would smile at anyone using an engine block heater at -2 C. Also consider that any fuel economy advantage only lasts for the few seconds extra that it would have taken the vehicle to warm up had the block heat not been used. In other word, you may gain a 10 % fuel economy advantage for 30 seconds by using an hours worth of electricity. I would imagine that a block heater uses 750 - 1000 watts of power. This is not an insignificant amount of power. On balance (at -2C) you would be far better off financially not to have used the block heater. Now at -20 C and below, it's a different story.

The Government has to understand that electricity is not free.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.