Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to plug the car in?!

When to plug the car in?!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 4:11 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default When to plug the car in?!

Hi

Just wondering what routines you Canadian Veterans have adopted with your Car Block Heaters?
I know it is common to use timers to save electricity, but I am also interested as to what the temperature should get down to, before deciding to plug them in! It is currently -13C now and I am wondering whether to venture out into the cold to plug em in!
I may build a timer/thermostat combo to alleviate my dilemma .

Darren
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:04 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When to plug the car in?!

If the temperature isn't expected to go below -20 C (roughly) it isn't worth while plugging the vehicle in. If it will likely go below -30 C, then it is definately worth plugging in. I wouldn't heat the vehicle anymore than about 3 hours max. before you want to drive it. If the temp. is only going to get down to about -20 C then 1 1/2 hours will do.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
If the temperature isn't expected to go below -20 C (roughly) it isn't worth while plugging the vehicle in. If it will likely go below -30 C, then it is definately worth plugging in. I wouldn't heat the vehicle anymore than about 3 hours max. before you want to drive it. If the temp. is only going to get down to about -20 C then 1 1/2 hours will do.
Depends on why you would use it in the first place. OK...seems a very silly statement to make, but bear with me.

The most wear and tear on an engine is caused on starting from cold, and more so from very cold. The quicker it warms up, the better for it. I myself have a block heater switch that has a thermostat. If temp drops below -12, then in kicks in. Power too it is provided via a standard timer switch which allow power to be available from 5 am. This means that even though power is available to the block heater thermo switch, unless the temperature drops below -12...it does not activate. My own vehicle starts without trouble at even -30...but I prefer to use the heater to lessen the 'very cold start stress' on the engine. Vehicle starts very easily and warms up to norm just a few minutes after getting on the road.

Many may state that I am crazy...however, it works for me. Perhaps technology in engine design/modern day oils etc negates the need for the above, but being from an engineering background, old beliefs die hard...and I am sure my truck/car love me for it .

Last edited by macadian; Feb 14th 2006 at 12:56 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
REmind me not to buy a used car from you!

Anything below -12 and regular 5 or 10 W30 oil will get too thick to do much effective lubrication on start up.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
REmind me not to buy a used car from you!

Anything below -12 and regular 5 or 10 W30 oil will get too thick to do much effective lubrication on start up.
So very true...even if you use modern day synthetics too. Nothing to beat a little 'pre-heat' before we get going for real.... ... and not just for cars!

Last edited by macadian; Feb 14th 2006 at 12:58 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I've ever owned a car with a block heater. In Ottawa the tyres would sometimes freeze out of round but the car still started ok without warming. I think a heater inside the car is important, I found it a real pain to have to keep scraping the windows, but a block heater isn't needed in the GTA and, anyway, there's nowhere to plug it in.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know if I've ever owned a car with a block heater. In Ottawa the tyres would sometimes freeze out of round but the car still started ok without warming. I think a heater inside the car is important, I found it a real pain to have to keep scraping the windows, but a block heater isn't needed in the GTA and, anyway, there's nowhere to plug it in.
Our car starts first time, every time, and it's just a crappy 2000 Sunfire. Mind you, getting into the car can be a bit hard sometimes.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macadian
So very true...even if you use modern day synthetics too. Nothing to beat a little 'pre-heat' before we get going for real.... ... and not just for cars!
Like Thermos flasks.....
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, it will still start most of the time, block heaters arent about getting it started, they are about extending engine life and reducing repair cost. There are a few good reasons to pony up the $50.

1. Oil gets thick when cold, and wont properly flow to lubricate the bearings so you get a lot of metal on metal contact and grinding until the combustion process has heated the oil enough to allow it to do its job. metal on metal = very bad for engine life

2. The crankshaft is probably half immersed in this gelatinous oil, so your starter needs to overcome all that extra friction to fire up the engine. This increasess the strain on the starter motor, shortening its life

3. Increased strain on the starter pulls more amps from your battery. The battery is already struggling in the cold to generate enough power, as its a chemical reaction, and chemical reactions go half as fast for about each 10C temp drop. This might mean it wont start on V cold days, and will reduce battery life at best. In real cold climates there are battery heating blankets available to help out.

4. Warm oil = warm engine= effective heater sooner in the morning.

Im sure they have electricity to plug a heater into in the GTA, Ive seen lights on in the windows and everything

Nearly every car sold for the canadian market has a block heater, and if it doesnt its cheap and easy to install one (they usually just screw into the drain plug).

Last edited by iaink; Feb 14th 2006 at 1:12 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure they have electricity to plug a heater into in the GTA, Ive seen lights on in the windows and everything
Yes, the streets are strung with wires but parking lots, streets and house driveways don't have power. I suppose one could run an extension cord into the road but I'd expect it to get stolen. Block heaters are just not something people bother with here.

Souvenir's right about access to the car being a bigger deal than starting it, even when I get to work I have this ridiculous pantomime of having to get out to open the door of the office garage because the car windows are still frozen shut.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Plug in almost every night, but then night time temperatures here are usually around -22 or lower. Our Jeep screams a wee bit if its been stood during the day in -10 to -15 and the engines cold, so it doesn't take a big drop in temperature for it to affect the car's starting performance.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

. I suppose one could run an extension cord into the road but I'd expect it to get stolen. Block heaters are just not something people bother with here.
Ah the joys of the GTA I've never worried about someone nicking an extension cord ot timer here. Hardly been cold enough to worry about plugging in this year anyway.

Getting ins easy, you use the autostarter and heat it up from the inside
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah the joys of the GTA I've never worried about someone nicking an extension cord ot timer here. Hardly been cold enough to worry about plugging in this year anyway.

Getting ins easy, you use the autostarter and heat it up from the inside
Not in these parts. Not when the car is covered in half an inch of ice.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Personaly I now plug it into the timer every night, except in the rare circumstance that it's going to be above 0..

The easy of starting and the quicker rise to temp seem to have reduced the gas consumtion..

You don't need to but, once you've got into the habit its nice to start the day with a pre-warmed engine
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Not in these parts. Not when the car is covered in half an inch of ice.
You dont need to melt all the ice, just the ice on the inside of the carsicle thats stopping the doors opening, and that metal is closer to the heat on the inside than the outside.

Not had a lot of freezing rain (or any winter weather really) this year, but in the past its always been a lot less fraught to just leave the heater on hot, start it remotely and wait till the ice has softened enough to get the doors open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.