Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to plug the car in?!

When to plug the car in?!

Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:15 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When to plug the car in?!

Originally Posted by MikeUK
easy I calculated the energy a 500watt block heater would deliver in 2 hrs

then worked out how much fuel would be required to generate the same amount of heat (without any losses; 100% conversion of the chemical energy to thermal)

then I worked out the cost of both sources of energy..

you should have figured that out with your chem101 if you got an A+

simple energy conversion formula

and as the equtions is for the same amount of thermal energy input, the starting temp is irrelevant... again chem101

don't 'cradle canadains' do physical chem???
No, I got an A+++, not just a crappy A+. Geeze.

So if the temperature of the "cold" engine was +20 C, the gas savings would be the same as when the engine temp. was starting at -20 C? That is what you are implying (i.e. starting temp. is irrelevant) and you are totally wrong. Ergo, your calculations are rather meaningless.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:19 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeUK
By the way they also say

In temperatures below 0°C, block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by 10 % or more.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...nce.cfm?attr=8

selective posting is an art form... one you need to work on
A savings of 10 % for how long? 30 seconds maybe?

You need to develop the ability to correctly interpret the significance of a particular fact.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:28 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by steals
ive seen diesel engines knock big end bearings out in under thirty seconds with no oil pressure, try leaving your oil out overnight you cant pour it out of the container how do you expect the oil pump to pump syrup ,it simply cant pump it fast enough to the bearings on the crank when its this cold .a block heater does exactly what it says it heats the block via the water which in turn helps to warm the oil a little enough to stop it turning to syrup ,the pistons are also warmed as is the the temp sensor for the ecu this in turn saves you money as the car doesnt need to run as rich because its already warm and theres less wear. as was already posted most engine wear is in the first few seconds of starting so anything that helps this must be good so stop whingieng and plug them in just for a few hours youre silly not too
A diesel engine is much more sensitive to cold start up issues - so I have been told at auto dealerships. In cold weather, diesels are often left to idle for long periods of time rather than shutting them down and firing them up again 30 minutes later to get around this issue. I was only referring to gasoline engines in my comments.

I have never heard of a gas engine vehicle ever needing repairs due to the failure to use a block heater in my life - and my father used to own an auto engine repair garage. This is just unheard of.

Using a block heater whenever the temp. goes below 0 C reminds me of the Mexicans around here in Cabo who will wear a coat whenever the ambient temp. gets below +20 C.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 15th 2006 at 1:38 am.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:34 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Isn't this sort of stuff physics, not chemistry?

Nothing like the talk of block-heaters, head gaskets or winter tires to bring the petro-nerds out in force.

Get a heated garage.
It's both. Obviously organic chemistry is involved when talking about how motor oil behaves.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:36 am
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
A diesel engine is much more sensitive to cold start up issues - so I have been told at auto dealerships. In cold weather, diesels are often left to idle for long periods of time rather than shutting them down and firing then up again 30 minutes later to get around this issue. I was only referring to gasoline engines in my comments.

I have never heard of a gas engine vehicle ever needing repairs due to the failure to use a block heater in my life - and my father used to own an auto engine repair garage. This is just unheard of.
it is not unheard of dont talk rubbish they work just the same with the oil pump they leave them running because the diesel turns to jelly at these cold temps and they wont start any internal combustion engine can knock the bearings out with no oil to the crank
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's both. Obviously organic chemistry is involved when talking about how motor oil behaves.
oceanMDX, does the MDX in your name refer to the Acura van ?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:42 am
mañana is my busiest day

it is not unheard of dont talk rubbish they work just the same with the oil pump they leave them running because the diesel turns to jelly at these cold temps and they wont start any internal combustion engine can knock the bearings out with no oil to the crank
LOL!!! Yes, don't talk rubbish; I've used diesel at -30C to start campfires and there was no problem pouring it out of the jerry can - turns to jelly my ass. That only happens if the diesel is contaminated!

With that one bit of BS, your credibility just got lost in the diesel exhaust.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 15th 2006 at 1:51 am.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:44 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dbd33
oceanMDX, does the MDX in your name refer to the Acura van ?
Yes. but it's an SUV.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:11 am
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Yes. but it's an SUV.
dont talk like an arse all diesel turns to jelly without additives you are full of shit just like most of your posts the original poster wanted to know when to plug in because hes a newbie to canada and wants an honest answer and all youve done is talk shit
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:45 am
mañana is my busiest day

dont talk like an arse all diesel turns to jelly without additives you are full of shit just like most of your posts the original poster wanted to know when to plug in because hes a newbie to canada and wants an honest answer and all youve done is talk shit
During the winter in Canada the diesel that is sold at the pumps is formulated for winter temperatures so that jelling is not a problem - and that is the fuel that I used to start the campfire at -30C. Water contamination is a much bigger issue with diesel engines.

A quick reveiw of your previous posts on other threads shows that you make comments like "you are full of shit" or "all you've done is talk shit" .... is something you say to a lot of people. You must be a real sweetheart to deal with in person. Looks like Britain got the better of the deal with you. :scared:

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 15th 2006 at 2:58 am.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

all youve done is talk shit

Actually that was me,
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:54 am
Banned

During the winter in Canada the diesel that is sold at the pumps is formulated for winter temperatures so that jelling is not a problem - and that is the fuel that I used to start the campfire at -30C. Water contamination is a much bigger issue with diesel engines.

A quick reveiw of your previous posts on other threads shows that you make comments like "you are full of shit" or "all you've done is talk shit" .... is something you say to a lot of different people. You must be a real sweetheart to deal with in person. Looks like Britain got the better of the deal with you. :scared:
you must be a pretty exciting person to be bothered to look at other posts and post over a 1000 yourself sad very sad
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:00 am
mañana is my busiest day

you must be a pretty exciting person to be bothered to look at other posts and post over a 1000 yourself sad very sad
Do you specialize in scatology? Just wondering with the language you use.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Poor old 'scimdarren' (original poster)...bet he's sorry he asked. Such a simple question one would think...problem is by the time he picks thru this lot, summer will be here....and the problem will be bugs choking up the pollen filters....

Oh well...
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:20 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by macadian
Poor old 'scimdarren' (original poster)...bet he's sorry he asked. Such a simple question one would think...problem is by the time he picks thru this lot, summer will be here....and the problem will be bugs choking up the pollen filters....

Oh well...
Now that guy will be able to claim "Canadian experience" regarding auto accessories - such as block heaters - and parlay that into a great career.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.