Reload this Page >

Whats it like....

Whats it like....

Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats it like....

Originally Posted by el_richo
You must have missed the recent stabbings, shootings, and assault then.
Looks like I did.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

To all those that say they feel safer here in the UK, the fact that you even notice a difference only shows how easily the media in the UK has manipulated you into that way of thinking.

I'm with el_richo - that's not a healthy mindset. Put down the newspaper and look out of the window instead; you'll feel better for it.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

They must have been the kids of British immigrants, surely?
Don't be too sure of that. The gang of wankers I had the pleasure of meeting in the DR last winter were Ontarians and most seemed to be called Gino. Even the girls (who were worse than the blokes).

Some of the resorts down there now ban groups of young people, particularly March-Breakers.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
To all those that say they feel safer here in the UK, the fact that you even notice a difference only shows how easily the media in the UK has manipulated you into that way of thinking.

I'm with el_richo - that's not a healthy mindset. Put down the newspaper and look out of the window instead; you'll feel better for it.
Or better yet go for a night out and see it firsthand.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are living in Inukik at this moment in time

I guess this thread also isnt helping with potential immigrants
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742000

As Alan2005 and el_richo suggest dont read too much into stats or articles.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I agree with that to be honest. I have been a frequent user of night buses in both Manchester and Toronto. In Manchester you were near enough guaranteed to see a kebab and stella-infused punch up every Friday and Saturday night on any given route. The worse things I've ever seen on the Yonge Blue Night is pissed up Chinese lad vomiting on a window and another guy who insisted on showing off his calvins like a low rider even though he happened to be wearing a suit at the time.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I can't say I agree with that to be honest. I have been a frequent user of night buses in both Manchester and Toronto. In Manchester you were near enough guaranteed to see a kebab and stella-infused punch up every Friday and Saturday night on any given route. The worse things I've ever seen on the Yonge Blue Night is pissed up Chinese lad vomiting on a window and another guy who insisted on showing off his calvins like a low rider even though he happened to be wearing a suit at the time.
Here you go: two stabbings, one murder.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ear...958/story.html

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Surr...049/story.html
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The reality of crime and quality of life is that its the perception that matters, not the stats.

As has been shown here many times in the past, its very hard in most cases to compare stats meaningfully due to different reporting methodologies, and only in the case of something like homicide are oranges being compared to oranges.

Even then its not really helpful because firstly most homicides are commited by people with a relationship rather than stranger on stranger, and secondly the numbers in any case are so low that statistically you could live to be 100000 before it was likely to impact you personally in any way regardless of whether thats in the UK or Canada.

People probably feel how they feel based entirely on the chance nature of what they have experienced in either location, I experienced crime in the UK, but havent in 13 years here. Granted, Leeds and semi rural ontario are rather different environments, and I was more likely to be out late in the UK than here now that I plough my middle aged family man rutt. Other peoples experience might be different...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
Or better yet go for a night out and see it firsthand.
I have. Don't notice much difference. Pissed up people enjoying themselves, some acting like arses, some being a little confrontational, etc, in both countries.

Comparing in this context, and allowing what you read and watch on the telly impact your life is no way to live.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I have. Don't notice much difference. Pissed up people enjoying themselves, some acting like arses, some being a little confrontational, etc, in both countries.

Comparing in this context, and allowing what you read and watch on the telly impact your life is no way to live.
Yeah, sorry about that.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Even though there was another murder in Vancouver yesterday afternoon, i feel perfectly safe in the city and the area i live.

I'm sorry you let crime that happens a great distance from you, with no direct link to your life, and which most probably will never have a link to your life, worry you so much that it defines your decisions.

I personally couldn't live like that. Yes i do see the news and do sympathise with the victims and their family, but that's as far as it goes.

Good luck in what ever the media decides for you
Its not really the media though is it. They don't report crimes that don't happen just to scaremonger us all. These are real events and I think you would have to be either naïve or ignorant to ignore these things when they happen. I'm not saying you have to base your life around these things but certainly be aware of them. Also don't you think El richo if I let the media make my decisions I would already be in Canada...after all the media here claim its Utopia.

Instead I'm planning a visit myself but in the meantime I'm asking those that already live there how they feel about where they live. I would imagine if you had any common sense and were planning a move back to the UK and wanted to know about areas then you would seek advice from those already living there? Let's hope if that is ever you then people will be just as helpful as you have been and won't try and nit pick everything you say
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
We lived in a "nice" subdivision in Calgary, crime wasn't really an issue at all.

We now live in a "nice" village in England, crime isn't really an issue at all.

In both places I suspect that if you go looking for criminal activity to worry about you will find it easily enough.

Drunk driving is very much more prevalent in Canada than in England.
+1

I've never been worried anywhere I have lived, this includes a number of different places and parts of the UK and Vancouver and Toronto in Canada.
Non-issue.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Its not really the media though is it.
Yeah, it is, sensationalism is good for circulation, and there is a lot of speculation and scaremongering that surrounds any media worthy event now.

Ignorance is in many ways bliss. My life is a lot more relaxed for not bothering with reading about other peoples misfortune day in day out. Maybe thats one thing about emigrating, a clean break. You dont know anyone in your new community at first, so there is little reason to bother with the local news.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Its not really the media though is it. They don't report crimes that don't happen just to scaremonger us all. These are real events and I think you would have to be either naïve or ignorant to ignore these things when they happen. I'm not saying you have to base your life around these things but certainly be aware of them. Also don't you think El richo if I let the media make my decisions I would already be in Canada...after all the media here claim its Utopia.

Instead I'm planning a visit myself but in the meantime I'm asking those that already live there how they feel about where they live. I would imagine if you had any common sense and were planning a move back to the UK and wanted to know about areas then you would seek advice from those already living there? Let's hope if that is ever you then people will be just as helpful as you have been and won't try and nit pick everything you say
I've noticed that Toronto has become a much less violent place this year.

Previously, I heard constantly about stabbings, shootings, drunken snowmobile crashes, eye gougings in drug crazed brawls, motor vehicle accidents resulting in death or near death, a surprising number of equine incidents leading to near death, parasitic tearing apart of hardly dead bodies, all manner of gruesome stuff. It amazed me that I'd hear of multiple people being shot in a single incident once a month or so and yet, checking the papers, the incident would hardly ever be reported.

Fortunately, all that has passed. I read the paper now and the worst that's happened is some littering.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've noticed that Toronto has become a much less violent place this year.

Previously, I heard constantly about stabbings, shootings, drunken snowmobile crashes, eye gougings in drug crazed brawls, motor vehicle accidents resulting in death or near death, a surprising number of equine incidents leading to near death, parasitic tearing apart of hardly dead bodies, all manner of gruesome stuff. It amazed me that I'd hear of multiple people being shot in a single incident once a month or so and yet, checking the papers, the incident would hardly ever be reported.

Fortunately, all that has passed. I read the paper now and the worst that's happened is some littering.
Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.