Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats it like....

Whats it like....

Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Whats it like....

Originally Posted by Lorry1
The thing is, that was a very small minority of kids out of millions. Most kids were totally disgusted by what was happening so you really can't tar them all with the same brush. I know plenty of British kids who are polite and well mannered. Most of my daughters friends who she went to school with have left and are in college, sixth form or have small jobs.

Kids here may be more polite and well mannered to adults (to their face) but they are damn rude to each other and there is a lot of school bullying that goes on. There have been a few teen suicides recently in NS which is sad.
My daughter knows quite a few people who carry knives and the cops are outside the school every lunch and end of because fights are quite frequent.
Bullies are everywhere unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, you seem to not like where you're currently living do you have any plans to move to another part of CA or somewhere else?

Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:56 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
When you compare that to mass groups of teans arranging riots using instant messaging, putting through the window of their local Dixons and then nicking a new TV or terrorizing a local shop keeper, I guess the Canadian adolescent behaviour looks pretty tame by comparison.
Oh very tame.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/motel+m...083/story.html
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Bullies are everywhere unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, you seem to not like where you're currently living do you have any plans to move to another part of CA or somewhere else?

I actually do like where I'm living (yes, shock I know ) but it is far from perfect. Before we moved here we did so much research, I mean I was on the internet all day, every day.
None of that tells you how you are really going to feel once you get here and live here for a few years though.
The Canadian government love telling people how wonderful Canada is, very family oriented and all that crap.

We will be moving back in about 18 months though actually
I have just come to realise that living here is not Utopia and I'm sure we could have just a good life in the UK had we of made an effort instead of pinning all our hopes on Canada.

I think my problem was that I had very high expectations of Canada and thought it would be totally wonderful. The reality hit me hard smack in the face when I started learning more about it.

Everyone is different though and I wouldn't say don't come here. I know alot of Brits that come here and totally imerse themselves into their new lives. Good on them

The old timers on this BE website were once very excited to move here too. Now they have lived here a few years, they just like to give the other side to the fluff that the Government, and most Canadians give.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just come back from two weeks holiday in Vancouver and Victoria and what I've noticed from this visit and previous visits is the lack of violence and punch ups when the bars and clubs kick out. Having been out partying most nights I was there all I saw was a couple occasions of shouting. First night back in the uk a kid gets stabbed outside my local. So far there have been roughly 1-2 stabbings a week here and my home town would be considered one of the nicer towns in the uk to live.

I dont know the crime figures for the uk or Canada but I'd say your more likely to get into a nasty situation at the end of an evening in the uk than Canada. Like a previous poster said, canadian kids seem to prefer getting stoned to getting into any real trouble.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:54 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
I've just come back from two weeks holiday in Vancouver and Victoria and what I've noticed from this visit and previous visits is the lack of violence and punch ups when the bars and clubs kick out. Having been out partying most nights I was there all I saw was a couple occasions of shouting. First night back in the uk a kid gets stabbed outside my local. So far there have been roughly 1-2 stabbings a week here and my home town would be considered one of the nicer towns in the uk to live.

I dont know the crime figures for the uk or Canada but I'd say your more likely to get into a nasty situation at the end of an evening in the uk than Canada. Like a previous poster said, canadian kids seem to prefer getting stoned to getting into any real trouble.
Well not me, or anyone I know, has ever seen or experienced any crime in England. I guess we must just be lucky.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Lucky you
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:05 pm
The Brit is back

Lucky you
I could say the same to you, coming to Vancouver

You were on a 2 week holiday, no one ever notices anything when they're parting on holiday. It's not likely you would have been to the more rough areas either.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:10 pm
The Brit is back

An article I copy & pasted from a news site -

Having fun shouldn't involve destroying someone else's property and hurting their livelihood. The teenagers that destroyed a motel should learn that lesson, quickly.

When you're in high school, there are many reasons to celebrate, and even more reasons to go out and have a good time. There are no reasons, ever, to cause wanton destruction to someone else's property that causes significant financial damage and hinders their livelihood.

That message apparently went ignored by a group of Grade 12 students from Notre Dame College School in Welland, Ontario, who booked out 35 rooms at a Niagara Falls motel after their school semiformal. Instead of simply using the motel as a place to continue on with their party, they rampaged through the building, breaking doors and walls and sinks, and causing between $50,000 and $100,000 in damages.

There is no world in where this kind of behavior is excusable. The whole issue of underage drinking aside — the fact that the students, many of them who are probably under the legal drinking age, were consuming copious amounts of alcohol to the point of causing damage is a massive problem in itself — no type of party or celebration should result in the deliberate destruction of someone else's property. Sure, mishaps occur, but the planned, prideful rampaging (some of the students posted photos of the destruction, boastfully, on their Facebook accounts) of a motel is not a alcohol-fueled mishap: it is a crime, and should be prosecuted.

The police are urging the motel owners to file claims in small claims court, but the amount of damage incurred means that this is no misdemeanor. It is a felony — the lack of remorse, cost of damages, and deliberate nature of the actions make it much more than simply a teenage mistake — and should be dealt with as such.

The parents of these students need to come forward to fix the problem, reimburse the motel, and make it very clear that the actions of their children will not be tolerated. Additionally, the teenagers should be held accountable; if they are being taken to small claims court, then their names should be released and they should be publicly denounced. (If felony charges are laid, as I feel they should, then the names of minors can not be released.)

I'm all for a bit of reckless fun in youth, and for making a few silly mistakes while partying with friends. I cannot, however, condone the wanton, deliberate, planned destruction of someone else's business and livelihood, and then the prideful boasting of those criminal actions.

You don't need to hurt someone else or their stuff in order to feel good about yourself. That's a lesson that these teenagers need
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:19 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I actually do like where I'm living (yes, shock I know ) but it is far from perfect. Before we moved here we did so much research, I mean I was on the internet all day, every day.
None of that tells you how you are really going to feel once you get here and live here for a few years though.
The Canadian government love telling people how wonderful Canada is, very family oriented and all that crap.

We will be moving back in about 18 months though actually
I have just come to realise that living here is not Utopia and I'm sure we could have just a good life in the UK had we of made an effort instead of pinning all our hopes on Canada.

I think my problem was that I had very high expectations of Canada and thought it would be totally wonderful. The reality hit me hard smack in the face when I started learning more about it.

Everyone is different though and I wouldn't say don't come here. I know alot of Brits that come here and totally imerse themselves into their new lives. Good on them

The old timers on this BE website were once very excited to move here too. Now they have lived here a few years, they just like to give the other side to the fluff that the Government, and most Canadians give.
Totally agree with whats been said here Lorry1.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
So you don't feel any safer in Canada than you did in the UK? My original point though wasn't to compare the UK to Canada I was interested in how you felt about your specific area.

Yes you're right being worried about crime and caring about what happens to people is just an awful way to live....I shall endeavor to be indifferent like yourself!
Even though there was another murder in Vancouver yesterday afternoon, i feel perfectly safe in the city and the area i live.

I'm sorry you let crime that happens a great distance from you, with no direct link to your life, and which most probably will never have a link to your life, worry you so much that it defines your decisions.

I personally couldn't live like that. Yes i do see the news and do sympathise with the victims and their family, but that's as far as it goes.

Good luck in what ever the media decides for you

Last edited by el_richo; Dec 15th 2011 at 2:26 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

I've done several long stays in BC, ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months so I'm not just talking about what I've seen on a two week holiday. Ive also found myself in the downtown eastside of van on more than one occasion after dark, and whilst it's bad I wouldn't say it was any worse than some of the more impoverished areas of London, Manchester or liverpool or more violent. That said Im also not saying there isn't any fighting when the clubs and pubs kick out in BC I just think your more likely to get a knife or screwdriver in the face here in the uk. I studied with a quite a few canadains over here and all of them were pretty shocked at the level of violence we have over here compared with over there. That said maybe we've both been very unlucky with where we live...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
They must have been the kids of British immigrants, surely?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:33 pm
Beep

You must have missed the recent stabbings, shootings, and assault then.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You must have missed the recent stabbings, shootings, and assault then.
Oh yes, don't get me wrong, Canada definitely has violent crime and petty theft. It also has, from what I've seen here so far, more poverty, weirdos and dodgy foreign residents than the UK does but for some reason I genuinely feel a lot safer here than I did back at home and I don't worry about my girlfriend coming home by herself late at night from a night out with her mates or work where as that used to be a bit of a fear in the UK.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:41 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Totally agree with whats been said here Lorry1.
WOW that's a first

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.