Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats it like....

Whats it like....

Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Whats it like....

Hey Guys!!

Hope you are all set for the Christmas period!

I was just wondering from your everyday personal experiences what the crime is like where you are.

I'm not asking you to compare it to the UK or tell me the statistics. I would be very interested to know what its like in your area.

Do you feel safe where you are and are the people friendly?

I could sit and compare statistics til I'm blue in the face but as many have pointed out it is never the accurate picture of living somewhere so I thank you all in advance who reply

Oh and I hope you all have a great Christmas!!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats it like....

I feel a lot safer in the UK than I did in Canada, but then I lived in a much more urban environment in Canada, whereas here I live in a very rural safe area where we leave doors unlocked, lawn mowers out on the front lawn all night etc. No crime here to speak of, but it will be very different for somebody living in central Liverpool, and the only place I've ever been a victim of crime was in Toronto.

So my guess is that it will once again depend on where the person was in the UK and is in Canada. As you say, statistics don't really give you the true story as they'll tell you that murder per capita is higher in Canada, but petty crime is less than in the UK, but again it will depend on region/city.

Not sure that my ramblings were much use really, but my point was that it will depend so much on everybody's individual circumstances. At least I think that's what it was............
Old Dec 13th 2011, 10:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There are some dodgy areas in the major cities and there is sporadic gang activity across the country but in general, I personally feel just as safe in Canada as I did in the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I feel a lot safer in the UK than I did in Canada, but then I lived in a much more urban environment in Canada, whereas here I live in a very rural safe area where we leave doors unlocked, lawn mowers out on the front lawn all night etc. No crime here to speak of, but it will be very different for somebody living in central Liverpool, and the only place I've ever been a victim of crime was in Toronto.

So my guess is that it will once again depend on where the person was in the UK and is in Canada. As you say, statistics don't really give you the true story as they'll tell you that murder per capita is higher in Canada, but petty crime is less than in the UK, but again it will depend on region/city.

Not sure that my ramblings were much use really, but my point was that it will depend so much on everybody's individual circumstances. At least I think that's what it was............

That sounds like a lovely area that you are living! Where abouts are you if you dont mind me asking?

In Canada are the newspapers all doom and gloom like they are here? Puts me off readint the paper because of what I read in there
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I feel safe where I live, yet we've had items stolen from our vehicles on our drive and from our garage. We live in a "nice" area & moved from Essex. Go, as they say, figure.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel safe here and don't think twice about walking the dog in the park at night or down the high street. Doing so brings clucking, if not expressions of alarm, from cradles. Even a poster on this board described the town square as being, approximately "the dodgiest place I've ever been". The worst that's happened is that a beggar who I'd ignored starting shouting obscenities, most people seem busy with their meth and their crack and don't want to know about passers-by. I feel no more threatened here than I do in London.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:33 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Keelif
Hey Guys!!

Hope you are all set for the Christmas period!

I was just wondering from your everyday personal experiences what the crime is like where you are.

I'm not asking you to compare it to the UK or tell me the statistics. I would be very interested to know what its like in your area.

Do you feel safe where you are and are the people friendly?

I could sit and compare statistics til I'm blue in the face but as many have pointed out it is never the accurate picture of living somewhere so I thank you all in advance who reply

Oh and I hope you all have a great Christmas!!
No better and no worse than where we were in the UK, outskirts of London, Ontario here as opposed to a village in NW England 12 miles from Manchester in the UK. TBH petty crime here is probably non existent due to potential troublemaking kids being spaced out on pot most of the time who can't be arsed doing anything.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Crime is crime it can happen to anyone anywhere. Doesnt matter if you live in Moss Side or Mayfair, Regina or Peggys Cove crime knows no boundaries.
Statistics can be made to make a certain place look good or bad so I wouldnt use them as a 100% basis of moving to or avoiding places in Canada.
I feel safe where I live but I take note of my surroundings and live accordingly.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:17 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I feel a lot safer here than in the UK. I have no qualms with walking around the downtown core of Toronto at 4 in the morning alone, but you wouldn't have caught me in a city centre in the UK after dark, especially after pub kicking out time.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:28 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in a "nice" subdivision in Calgary, crime wasn't really an issue at all.

We now live in a "nice" village in England, crime isn't really an issue at all.

In both places I suspect that if you go looking for criminal activity to worry about you will find it easily enough.

Drunk driving is very much more prevalent in Canada than in England.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
We lived in a "nice" subdivision in Calgary, crime wasn't really an issue at all.

In both places I suspect that if you go looking for criminal activity to worry about you will find it easily enough.

Interesting that you say DUI is more prevalent here than the UK.
I do know over here that the police implement the RIDE programme at certain parts of the year. I tend to think there are multiple factors as to why Canadians drink and drive more than UK residents.
Greater distances to drive home from the pub to home
Lack of public transit in certain areas especially after midnight
Cost of taxis (greater distances)
Willing to risk it type of attitude
Too cold to walk home, or too far and too pissed to walk
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Interesting that you say DUI is more prevalent here than the UK.
I do know over here that the police implement the RIDE programme at certain parts of the year. I tend to think there are multiple factors as to why Canadians drink and drive more than UK residents.
Greater distances to drive home from the pub to home
Lack of public transit in certain areas especially after midnight
Cost of taxis (greater distances)
Willing to risk it type of attitude
Too cold to walk home, or too far and too pissed to walk
Social acceptability. It wasn't usual in the UK to drink at the wheel and throw the empty bottles out of the window as you went along at any point in my lifetime. It is here. That is, of course, part of the "moving back in time" which people value.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I have seen that too. Many a time I've been out with someone and then had to take a taxi home while they not only drove drunk, but drove with a drink in their hand. Its sick really but that's the prevelant attitude over here.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
Its sick really but that's the prevelant attitude over here.
I put it down to the awful radio, all that "classic rock" makes it seem acceptable to have a beer on the way home to beat the wife.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Social acceptability. .
That's the nail on the head..

In the UK drink Driving was a form of social leprosy, if you did it you didn’t publicly acknowledge it..
Here they share the location of the ride program, still drink and take an alternative route rather than public transport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.