Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats it like....

Whats it like....

Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats it like....

And I retain the opinion that even despite all of the nonsense reality TV on British TV these days such as Big Brother, Cash in your Attic, Shit in your Shed and Love thy Gypo, UK TV is still probably among the best in the world. Most TV in the US and Canada is absolute pants.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
I think you are missing my point, maybe I am not saying it properly so you understand what I mean. I am not trying to compare the UK to Canada, I am asking if you feel safe where you live.

The story of the poor lady in Wales was purely an example of something that can affect the way you feel about somewhere. I am not saying it directly relates to me.

If you read my previous posts you will see I am not even 100% sure if I will try to move to Canada, I have no reason to try and justify anything. It seems you are trying to justify your own reasons for not liking/wanting to leave Canada. Like I said the UK media doesn't help in making you feel safe here...maybe I should stop watching the news I guess

OK I must admit I haven't read most of your posts and so don't know your background.

I am not wanting to leave Canada because of the crime. It in no way affects my life as it didn't in the UK. You are right though, for some reason in England we let a stabbing that happened 200 miles away affect how we feel, I don't know why that is!?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
OK I must admit I haven't read most of your posts and so don't know your background.

I am not wanting to leave Canada because of the crime. It in no way affects my life as it didn't in the UK. You are right though, for some reason in England we let a stabbing that happened 200 miles away affect how we feel, I don't know why that is!?
It's a small country. When there's a mad serial killing rapist on the loose in Surrey it's only natural for people to worry in Birmingham, particularly since most of the news in the UK is centralised in the same way as most other EU countries. European countries usually cover the same type of geographical area as Canadian provinces/US states so it's only natural for things to work that way.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

I don't know why it is either tbh. Maybe its because when we hear about things like that in sleepy villages the next time our neighbours are playing loud music llate at night it makes us think twice before asking them to turn it down. I guess you mainly just don't expect things like that to happen in small communties, which is perhaps why it can affect someone 200 miles away. If it had happened in a city I doubt it would have had as much coverage as it has.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Because we empathize and project due to sharing a common culture.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Because we empathize and project due to sharing a common culture.
Ahem. With Wales?

<my heart and thoughts go out to the taffy family and why won't somebody think about the children?>
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

True but I doubt I would hear about crime in Vancouver if I lived in the Maritimes it would be like me worrying over the shooting in Belgium

I know everywhere has its bad points but I think the way you feel about somewhere can have a direct affect on the things you do so yes you may not be living somewhere safer but if you feel it then surely that's going to have a positive impact on how you live?
No but you'll see the news in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or wherever you live and i'm pretty sure at some point they'll cover murder, sex crimes, violence, etc. The point is, if you let indirect crimes reported via the media distort your view of the area you live and give you a negative perception of it in the UK, then you will feel the same no matter where you live.

It must be a terrible way to live and i recommend you stop thinking too much into them.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I work with another Brit expat who moved here with his wife a few years ago and although they both hate it here, particularly the wife, they stand by their decision that they moved for their kids and don't really want to go back until their kids have graduated uni and settled into a decent, quiet life.
Then they're ****ing stupid
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by el_richo
Then they're ****ing stupid
Why do you say that?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:53 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ahem. With Wales?

<my heart and thoughts go out to the taffy family and why won't somebody think about the children?>
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:55 pm
Beep

Why do you say that?
They live in a place they hate when they could easily live in a place they like. The kids will be equally set for the future both in the UK and Canada, in my opinion.

Why put yourself through that for a minimal difference?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by el_richo
They live in a place they hate when they could easily live in a place they like. The kids will be equally set for the future both in the UK and Canada, in my opinion.

Why put yourself through that for a minimal difference?
Believe it or not, there are some people who believe that the UK is a terrible place to raise a child these days, myself included if I'm honest and I don't even have (or want) kids.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:59 pm
The Brit is back

I don't know why it is either tbh. Maybe its because when we hear about things like that in sleepy villages the next time our neighbours are playing loud music llate at night it makes us think twice before asking them to turn it down. I guess you mainly just don't expect things like that to happen in small communties, which is perhaps why it can affect someone 200 miles away. If it had happened in a city I doubt it would have had as much coverage as it has.
Recently, there was a stabbing (by hooded teens!) on a bus in the terminal just 10 minutes from my house. The stabbing in the valley an hour away (small, quiet, peaceful, nothing ever happens valley ) was a teenager robbing a cab driver.
Shootings happen a few times a year in Halifax half an hour away. Halifax is a 'city' the size of Reading in England.
There is much more I could tell you about quiet, family oriented Nova Scotia but I won't as I know some people never believe it can happen here.

They don't sensationalize (word?) it here like they do in the US and they don't go on about it for days like they do in gloom invested UK.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, there are some people who believe that the UK is a terrible place to raise a child these days, myself included if I'm honest and I don't even have (or want) kids.
The problem with beliefs is that they're not usaully based on reality.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem with beliefs is that they're not usaully based on reality.
I've seen it for myself, not to generalise but a lot of British kids these days are spoiled, arrogant and generally ignorant little bastards. The worst behaviour I've witnessed from kids in Toronto so far is conversing a little too loudly on a street car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.