Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would've happened in Canada?

What would've happened in Canada?

Old May 11th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would've happened in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't drink alcohol at the wheel on the way to work.
On the way back?
Old May 11th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

[quote=dbd33;4765766]
Originally Posted by simon876

Could you not have moved her to one side, away from the general flow of people?
Fair question but...

Funny old thing really but somehow, I thought that creating a clear pathway for the morning commuters seemed trivial in comparison to the life I was trying to save.

Seriously though, in addition to the symptoms she displayed, I had no idea what other injury she might have sustained when she collapsed. Moving her might well have caused further harm.

Ever tried moving a collapsed adult? A 'dead weight' is surprisingly hard to shift.

I guess what I was most disturbed by was the complete indifference that other people seemed to display.

Simon
Old May 11th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=simon876;4765870]

Fair question but...

Funny old thing really but somehow, I thought that creating a clear pathway for the morning commuters seemed trivial in comparison to the life I was trying to save.

Seriously though, in addition to the symptoms she displayed, I had no idea what other injury she might have sustained when she collapsed. Moving her might well have caused further harm.

Ever tried moving a collapsed adult? A 'dead weight' is surprisingly hard to shift.

I guess what I was most disturbed by was the complete indifference that other people seemed to display.

Simon
My wife fell down in front of a large crowd of people coming down the stairs to a tube station in London last year. I tried to catch her as she fell but the push of the crowd behind knocked my arm away. She managed to get to the edge of the stairs but it was amazing, nobody helped and some even tutted and glowered and swore at her for falling! I hate crowded places anyway and just reinforced my view that a large group of people crowded together is a dangerous entity.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve666;4765852]
What onto the rail line you mean?
You're in management, admit it!
Old May 11th 2007, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=simon876;4765870]
Yes, I have. I have an autistic "child", now aged 21. One of her stunts his to go limp, like a protestor at a demonstation. In that circumstance she's very difficult to move. Sometimes I drag her by the ankles, horrifying bystanders.

I take the points about crowds being dangerous and the broader one that society is not compassionate, nonetheless I step over prone bodies maybe three times a week, I ignore the hordes of street beggars here, making a point of not acknowledging them to be human; incivility is not a national trait but an urban one.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

[quote=dbd33;4765989]

Yes, I have. I have an autistic "child", now aged 21. One of her stunts his to go limp, like a protestor at a demonstation. In that circumstance she's very difficult to move. Sometimes I drag her by the ankles, horrifying bystanders.
That must be tough for you. Do people offer to help?

Simon
Old May 11th 2007, 1:10 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dbd33;4765989]

I take the points about crowds being dangerous and the broader one that society is not compassionate, nonetheless I step over prone bodies maybe three times a week, I ignore the hordes of street beggars here, making a point of not acknowledging them to be human; incivility is not a national trait but an urban one.
Your blog is coming along well, I must say.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;4765989]

I ignore the hordes of street beggars here, making a point of not acknowledging them to be human; incivility is not a national trait but an urban one.
"Civility is not some outdated bourgeois concept, but a daily expression of social solidarity".

Hear, hear! Well said that woman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...071049,00.html
Old May 11th 2007, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

[QUOTE=simon876;4766007]

That must be tough for you. Do people offer to help?

Simon
No, mostly they just look on amazed. I can't say I blame them.

I object to a lot of the posts that go along the lines of "horrific incident on my street, gotta leave the UK" because all countries have horrific incidents. The UK has chavs, Canada has white trash, domestic violence and incivility are common both there and here.

However, one thing I have to save I think is wonderful in Canada and the US is the attitude to disability. As I say, I have an autistic child; she looks crazy, there's no passing her off as "normal", nonetheless we've eaten in thousands of restaurants, from greasy spoons to the likes of Mortons, Bouchon, La Maquette and travelled extensively on public transit with just one really unpleasant incident in twenty years. It's much more common for people to ask "is that autism?" and then to describe their related experience.
I think we would have a much harder time in the UK.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

[QUOTE=Souvenir;4766008]

Your blog is coming along well, I must say.

Thanks, we'll have a flurry of updates once the chickens arrive (on the 23rd) and we have some large animals (very many prodded and poked this week, more test rides on the weekend).
Old May 11th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=Novocastrian;4766035]

"Civility is not some outdated bourgeois concept, but a daily expression of social solidarity".

Hear, hear! Well said that woman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...071049,00.html

Superb article - well spotted!
Old May 11th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=dbd33;4766064]

No, mostly they just look on amazed. I can't say I blame them.

I object to a lot of the posts that go along the lines of "horrific incident on my street, gotta leave the UK" because all countries have horrific incidents. The UK has chavs, Canada has white trash, domestic violence and incivility are common both there and here.

However, one thing I have to save I think is wonderful in Canada and the US is the attitude to disability. As I say, I have an autistic child; she looks crazy, there's no passing her off as "normal", nonetheless we've eaten in thousands of restaurants, from greasy spoons to the likes of Mortons, Bouchon, La Maquette and travelled extensively on public transit with just one really unpleasant incident in twenty years. It's much more common for people to ask "is that autism?" and then to describe their related experience.
I think we would have a much harder time in the UK.
I would tend to agree. I am encouraged to hear that people around you understand.

My consistent experience of life in Canada so far is one of understanding. I attended a conference in November in London, Ontario.

The conference was about celebrating diversity and I was pleased to see that the approach in Canada is less driven by legislation and more by what appears to be a genuine desire to achieve acceptance for who people are, rather than the generic social group they appear to belong to.

Having said that, I am white, male, middle-aged and employed. Maybe my experience would be different if I were not?

Simon

Last edited by simon876; May 11th 2007 at 1:30 am. Reason: Grammar
Old May 11th 2007, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;4765766]

Could you not have moved her to one side, away from the general flow of people?
Old May 11th 2007, 1:38 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has chavs, Canada has white trash
I think I kind of understand what a Chav is, but can someone please explain what is meant by white trash? are we talking Jerry Springer guests here?
Old May 11th 2007, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve666;4765916]
nobody helped and some even tutted and glowered and swore at her for falling!

My gob is smacked ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.