Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would've happened in Canada?

Wikiposts

What would've happened in Canada?

Old May 10th 2007, 5:06 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would've happened in Canada?

Originally Posted by Andthen
I hate to be particularly negative but I got specifically warned from moving anywhere near there, this is a review from one previous tennant in a property to rent on that block,

Please...if you are considering moving in here, read this carefully. AREA THIS IS THE WORST AREA TO LIVE DOWNTOWN. Dundas & Sherbourne...although, like the other review says, the Eaton\'s Centre is close by and it seems safe - any out of towner would be mistaken. The cheap price sounds so good - but it\'s for a reason. There is a church next door for drug addicts. They sit on the street with no shirts on doing drugs, yelling at you any time you pass. The convienient store at the corner also poses a very large threat after dark. You do NOT want to pass that in this area - and the streetcar stop is past that. BUILDING This was my first apartment, I\'m from Ottawa. First the management wasn\'t in the office for me to get my keys on time, and when I finally did, I went upstairs. This was on September 4th, 4 days after I was allowed to move in. WHEN I WALKED IN...it was the worst thing I\'ve ever seen anywhere in my life. BROKEN windows...broken patio door...it wouldn\'t even close, so I couldn\'t let me cat out because she would jump off the balcony. THE BALCONY... had needles, broken ch
broken chairs, broken glass, old tvs, and garbage bags all over it. BLOOD on the walls... hair stuck on the floors in clumps... (obviously no cleaning had been done after the people moved out) KITCHEN was a disaster. Moldy fungus caked in the fridge, greese from one end of the wall to another with hair stuck in it. Brown mud all over the tiles and counter tops. I could actually not believe it. BATHROOM HAD NO RUNNING WATER!! So the toilet was unusable. Upon complaint to one of the management representitives, I was informed that the property manager had just quit and they had no new one so nothing could be done. Oh yeah, and it was labour day weekend so it would be a couple days before I could have running water at all since the pipes were all broken. There was no bathtub. Not that it would have mattered with no water. There was a giant hole in the wall. BEDROOM had spiders and their webs, little ants, and bugs all over the ceiling and floors (due to the fact there was no bedroom window).

Sweet?!
Well he is a pimp so it sounds as though he works in a suitable area. Living there would be a different matter entirely.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
During my entire tenure at BE, dbd33 has admitted to being a pimp. He has never said anything about its being part-time. Come to think of it, is it even possible to be a part-time pimp?
Judy, if you put "part-time pimp" into google, you'll find some rather disturbing results.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Artists and beggars are one thing, but I'm not going around drenching young mothers. Who do you think you're dealing with here?
erh...sorry. I would like to retract my last quote.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant future

How about we meet halfway with a young female beggar (maybe with a pet dog)?
Old May 10th 2007, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Well he is a pimp so it sounds as though he works in a suitable area. Living there would be a different matter entirely.
LOL!

I think I'll stick to the pay more rent have less spending money option, I expect to be boardwalk adjacent!
Old May 10th 2007, 5:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsara
How about we meet halfway with a young female beggar (maybe with a pet dog)?
Hmmmmm. How big is the dog?
Old May 10th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Late November 2006 at 12:30am, we got a knock on the door. A neighbour had seem some 15ish year olds kick one of our car doors in, she had followed them to see where they went (obviuosley not from UK)and then come back to let us know, she then kindly called the police from her cell phone by 1:00am the police had come, taken statements, arrested the culprits who were now blubbing. The two main culprits (Dparents)were made to pay the repair bill (over $2K) to avoid criminal records.

I know it's not the same as punching and spitting - I hope your wife is OK, but we were amazed at the police response.

When I had my Motorbike stolen in UK it took 2 phone calls and 2 hours before the police attended - Someone had seen the bike being loaded into a white van, so had they been quicker I may have got my bike back.:curse:

I had similar with my car two months ago - I went out in the morning to find a broken window & the contents of the glovebox in the footwell - nothing was actually stolen (I guess they didn't like my cd collection) so it seemed to be treated as 'less' of a crime. Didn't make the repair bill any cheaper.:curse:
Old May 10th 2007, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmmmmm. How big is the dog?

dunno. Maybe a poodle?
Old May 10th 2007, 5:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Please...if you are considering moving in here, read this carefully. AREA THIS IS THE WORST AREA TO LIVE DOWNTOWN. Dundas & Sherbourne...although, like the other review says, the Eaton\'s Centre is close by and it seems safe - any out of towner would be mistaken.
My children went to high school on this block, they came to no harm and few of their contemporaries ended up hooking or drug addicted, it's not a good area but it's silly to say it's the worst.

Look at: Queen/Sherbourne, Regents Park, the few blocks north of Little India, Parkdale, St. Jamestown, the east part of Cabbagetown by the harm reduction centre, those places are really rough. If I had to choose I'd pick Queen/Sherbourne as the worst (Moss Park was the kid's home hockey rink and so I'd often be there when the shelters turned out in the morning, that was a bit grim); it's near St Mike's so, on welfare day, you get all these patients wandering the streets looking for drugs to shove in their iv holes. Jesus, it's horrible, it looks like Vancouver.
Born again atheist

dunno. Maybe a poodle?
Well if she's in a poodle she's probably drenched already.
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

I had similar with my car two months ago - I went out in the morning to find a broken window & the contents of the glovebox in the footwell - nothing was actually stolen (I guess they didn't like my cd collection) so it seemed to be treated as 'less' of a crime. Didn't make the repair bill any cheaper.:curse:
Getting out early on a cold morning is never easy... The butty shop was always my first call after briefing...
Old May 10th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
My children went to high school on this block, they came to no harm and few of their contemporaries ended up hooking or drug addicted, it's not a good area but it's silly to say it's the worst.

Look at: Queen/Sherbourne, Regents Park, the few blocks north of Little India, Parkdale, St. Jamestown, the east part of Cabbagetown by the harm reduction centre, those places are really rough. If I had to choose I'd pick Queen/Sherbourne as the worst (Moss Park was the kid's home hockey rink and so I'd often be there when the shelters turned out in the morning, that was a bit grim); it's near St Mike's so, on welfare day, you get all these patients wandering the streets looking for drugs to shove in their iv holes. Jesus, it's horrible, it looks like Vancouver.
I've never lived there so it's not my place to comment, just passing on previous tennant's views..

Still don't really fancy the downtown core though, or anything north of it for that matter.

I'm fussy, what can I say?
Old May 10th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Getting out early on a col morning is never easy... The butty shop was always my first call after briefing...
Is this an official quote from our nations finest????
Old May 10th 2007, 5:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

I think I'll stick to the pay more rent have less spending money option, I expect to be boardwalk adjacent!
I lived in the beach for about twelve years, up until February. It's nice but a bit family-orientated, good if you have two small kids and a dog. Everyone there has a dog. Before that I lived downtown, though not on this block. I liked downtown better but we had no room for a backyard trampoline.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Is this an official quote from our nations finest????
I used to be

Left at the end of March to go back into licensed retail in preperation for moving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.