British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What language do they speak,it aint English (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-language-do-they-speak-aint-english-562576/)

MrsDV Sep 19th 2008 11:55 pm

Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6801772)
You know, the pedant in me should really be getting some pleasure from this thread. But somehow it's not working.

Ok, a diversion......

Many years ago, as a student, I took a placement job in London (I'm Scottish). One Friday night I had the joy of sitting in Victoria Bus Station waiting for the overnight bus to Glasgow. As I tried to mind my own business and ignore the drunks around me a young man came up and spoke to me in a language I didn't understand. I shook my head, tried to look apologetic and said 'sorry' but he just repeated what he'd said before. So, I shook my head again and said 'Sorry, I only speak English' (true, I didn't even sit O Grade French :o ) when he repeated himself again I realised he was asking where to get the bus to Newcastle (his home town)! :lol:

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 6801847)
I wasn't aware that there was such a language.....

Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges

Gremmie Sep 20th 2008 12:03 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6801589)
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?

Yes it would,as the term bi-weekly meens TWICE A WEEK not FORTNIGHTLY:p

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801867)
Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges

NONE of which is Swiss.

willmore Sep 20th 2008 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801430)
Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use:ohmy::ohmy:

Kitty corner:confused::confused: my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot " :blink:
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " :eek: this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

and to think we were once a colony of the UK......!:o

Gremmie Sep 20th 2008 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 6801883)
NONE of which is Swiss.

swiss german,swiss french,swiss italian and retro romansch:p:p
so min liibe gold schatz jetz bisch du wiider drah:eek:

Cmorffew Sep 20th 2008 12:33 am

My favourite .....

write me.

:curse:

mandymoochops Sep 20th 2008 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801481)
In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.
So do you have any examples of North American English ???

Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.:frown:

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801929)

does the term clutching at straws mean anything to you?

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 1:02 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6801976)
Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.:frown:

I dont think the OP started out thick, I imagine he addled his three brain cells whilst sniffing the diesel fumes:eek:

Danny B Sep 20th 2008 1:07 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6801589)
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?

You mean they haven't heard of a Millifortnight? :lol:

clynnog Sep 20th 2008 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801929)

Swiss german, swiss french and swiss italian are dialects, not languages....in the same way that the french spoken in Quebec (well not the french spoken in Gatineau...I don't think anybody else wants to claim that) is a dialect of 'french'.

Lorna_D Sep 20th 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801430)
Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use:ohmy::ohmy:

Kitty corner:confused::confused: my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot " :blink:
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " :eek: this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

You've got too much time on your hands :p:rofl: Keep up with the therapy and get back to work. :p

startwin Sep 20th 2008 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6801728)
did you get it from me or this your own personal pet hate as well ?

see post *3

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!

No, I didn't get it from you, hadn't read your post when I responded. This is something that drives me nuts and is written and said by so many so-called educated Brits, so now it seems to be accepted as correct. :curse:

simeongb Sep 20th 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 6801985)
I dont think the OP started out thick, I imagine he addled his three brain cells whilst sniffing the diesel fumes:eek:

if butch says you`re thick and can`t spell or puncuate,you`re a mug and should stay off the keypad