British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What language do they speak,it aint English (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-language-do-they-speak-aint-english-562576/)

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 8:58 pm

What language do they speak,it aint English

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use:ohmy::ohmy:

Kitty corner:confused::confused: my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot " :blink:
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " :eek: this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

Steve_P Sep 19th 2008 9:00 pm

Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801430)
Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things???
And as to the grammer they use:ohmy:

Kitty corner:confused::confused: my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot " :blink:

it will allways be "Me and Susan " :eek: this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

Geez who p*ssed in your cornflakes this morning.:sneaky:

Pot kettle black, I've highlighted some of your own mistakes, uncouth yob. :p:):rofl:

Lorna at Vicenza Sep 19th 2008 9:04 pm

I'm not really a nasty old bitch but I am terrible and I cannot ignore a post about English when the English in the post itself is not correct.

I won't say anything more as I know we all type very quickly and with mistakes, especially when we are annoyed - but at the risk of sounding condescending I agree with what you say and personally hate a lot of mistakes that now seem to be the norm.

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6801432)
Geez who p*ssed in your cornflakes this morning.:sneaky:

No one Steve.. i just find how the Kanuks and Yanks use our langauge quite amusing some times and very misleading... i spent 30 mins driving arround the tiny town of Emerson trying to find Kitty Corner:curse: the Tom Tom didnt help either:mad:

gibsonslanding Sep 19th 2008 9:09 pm

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???

sorry to be picky.....being an uncouth yob to be.....but check your spelling mate!:eek:

Novocastrian Sep 19th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801449)
No one Steve.. i just find how the Kanuks and Yanks use our langauge quite amusing some times and very misleading... i spent 30 mins driving arround the tiny town of Emerson trying to find Kitty Corner:curse: the Tom Tom didnt help either:mad:

Ooh, my turn!

Berk.

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6801443)
I'm not really a nasty old bitch but I am terrible and I cannot ignore a post about English when the English in the post itself is not correct.

I won't say anything more as I know we all type very quickly and with mistakes, especially when we are annoyed - but at the risk of sounding condescending I agree with what you say and personally hate a lot of mistakes that now seem to be the norm.

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!

In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.
So do you have any examples of North American English ???

pinkmcfarquhar Sep 19th 2008 9:16 pm

Try moving to Newfoundland - that'll open your eyes (or ears?!?)

Some day for weather b'y.

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 6801485)

Duhh !!!!!

Elaine B. Sep 19th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 6801485)

My favourite thing I ever heard from a Newfie was a guy describing someone who was sick by saying he had "a wee touch of the AIDS".

(sorry I know it's in really bad taste but it still made me laugh)

Lorna at Vicenza Sep 19th 2008 9:27 pm

I have no problems with typos ....... I do loads of them, but I have noticed a huge amount of "too" instead of 'to' and as I said before - "of" annoys me instead of 'have'.

I know it sounds that way when we are speaking but it's not correct to write that way.

pinkmcfarquhar Sep 19th 2008 9:30 pm

One time I was in the launderette doing washing and an older guy (70's) came to speak to me. I think I got about 1 word in 10 - did a lot of smiling and nodding my head!

The Newfoundland accent generally sounds a lot more Irish than Canadian, and has a whole pile of words and sayings that I am slowly picking up.

touch of the AIDS! :rofl::rofl:

Elaine - hows life back over the pond?

Elaine B. Sep 19th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 6801534)
One time I was in the launderette doing washing and an older guy (70's) came to speak to me. I think I got about 1 word in 10 - did a lot of smiling and nodding my head!

The Newfoundland accent generally sounds a lot more Irish than Canadian, and has a whole pile of words and sayings that I am slowly picking up.

touch of the AIDS! :rofl::rofl:

Elaine - hows life back over the pond?

All good over here thanks:thumbsup: Although I guess my accent is a little screwed up I've had a few people ask me where I'm from and this is the town I grew up in:eek:

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 9:40 pm

heard this on a radio advert for car sales..
"payments can be made bi-weekly ":confused: this to a north American means once every two weeks:eek:

R I C H Sep 19th 2008 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801570)
heard this on a radio advert for car sales..
"payments can be made bi-weekly ":confused: this to a north American means once every two weeks:eek:

And 'fortnight' makes more sense?

pinkmcfarquhar Sep 19th 2008 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6801550)
All good over here thanks:thumbsup: Although I guess my accent is a little screwed up I've had a few people ask me where I'm from and this is the town I grew up in:eek:

:rofl::rofl:

We were home for a visit recently and I found that everybody sounded really Scottish - bizarre!:eek: Just sounded a bit strange on the ears - how have you found it? I suppose I am just used to the Newfoundland accent now.

Elaine B. Sep 19th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6801589)

Exactly so what if they use different terms. When I moved to Canada at first I used let these thing annoy me, now I'm a lot more relaxed about it especially with a little boy who has spend his first 5 years of life in Canada I'm not going to correct him if he calls a bin a garbage can or pronounces tomato the "north American way".

Elaine B. Sep 19th 2008 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 6801590)
:rofl::rofl:

We were home for a visit recently and I found that everybody sounded really Scottish - bizarre!:eek: Just sounded a bit strange on the ears - how have you found it? I suppose I am just used to the Newfoundland accent now.

I find the accents sound a lot stronger and I'm kinda hoping my little boy keeps his Canadian accent but he's only 5 so that's unlikely.

terrywogan Sep 19th 2008 10:10 pm

You don't hear English people saying that either. Very few people speak grammatically correct English. Why should they?

Lorna at Vicenza Sep 19th 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by terrywogan (Post 6801690)
You don't hear English people saying that either. Very few people speak grammatically correct English. Why should they?

they should because it should be taught properly.

I was corrected more than once by my Yorkshire mother for saying "me n' Gemma and especially for what she considered to be slang like "shut door without a 'the'

startwin Sep 19th 2008 10:17 pm

Well who are "they"?
This is Canada, not the UK.
You know what really gets me? When people from the UK use the term "could of" instead of "could have" etc.
And your spelling is the pits.

cov-canuck Sep 19th 2008 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6801443)

Gah...this used to drive me nuts in my GCSE English classes. My brothers and I all came top of our years in English in England, which made us (the Canadian implants) laugh hysterically. I couldn't comprehend the fact that the teachers never corrected this mistake, despite the fact that it would actually make me cringe. Got worse when they decided before my A-levels that txt speak was allowed, and spelling and grammar no longer mattered.

cov-canuck Sep 19th 2008 10:19 pm

it will allways be "Me and Susan "

Actually...EVERY North American I have contact with (family, colleagues, friends) say it correctly...whereas nearly EVERY person I knew in England (family, friends, colleagues) said it incorrectly. Are generalisations wonderful?

terrywogan Sep 19th 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6801703)
they should because it should be taught properly.

I was corrected more than once by my Yorkshire mother for saying "me n' Gemma and especially for what she considered to be slang like "shut door without a 'the'

Yes -it should be taught properly; and when the Queen comes to stay, it can be dusted off and used. But for everyday conversation with your friends you just need to talk how they talk. It is only necessary to know how to speak properly.

Lorna at Vicenza Sep 19th 2008 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 6801708)
Well who are "they"?
This is Canada, not the UK.
You know what really gets me? When people from the UK use the term "could of" instead of "could have" etc.
And your spelling is the pits.

did you get it from me or this your own personal pet hate as well ?

see post *3

Lorna at Vicenza Sep 19th 2008 10:30 pm

so we should all speak like the people in Catherine Tate videos and Borat and suchlike and East - friggin - Eastenders where nobody uses an actual TH anymore but only an 'F' or a 'V''

I really like yous Bradley but I don't Fink we sould be togeVer !

terrywogan Sep 19th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6801733)
so we should all speak like the people in Catherine Tate videos and Borat and suchlike and East - friggin - Eastenders where nobody uses an actual TH anymore but only an 'F' or a 'V''

I really like yous Bradley but I don't Fink we sould be togeVer !

Well, yes. If that's what your friends sound like, then speak as they do. I had a broad Liverpudlian accent when I first came to London and I lost it fairly quickly when I got a job and I mixed with Londoners.

Novocastrian Sep 19th 2008 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by terrywogan (Post 6801745)
Well, yes. If that's what your friends sound like, then speak as they do. I had a broad Liverpudlian accent when I first came to London and I lost it fairly quickly when I got a job and I mixed with Londoners.

You know, the pedant in me should really be getting some pleasure from this thread. But somehow it's not working.

clynnog Sep 19th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801481)
In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.

I wasn't aware that there was such a language.....

getoutofbritainquick Sep 19th 2008 11:46 pm

Wait for the usual vultures to jump in. It is why we left the UK. Trouble is they are over here as well....!:eek:

MrsDV Sep 19th 2008 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6801772)
You know, the pedant in me should really be getting some pleasure from this thread. But somehow it's not working.

Ok, a diversion......

Many years ago, as a student, I took a placement job in London (I'm Scottish). One Friday night I had the joy of sitting in Victoria Bus Station waiting for the overnight bus to Glasgow. As I tried to mind my own business and ignore the drunks around me a young man came up and spoke to me in a language I didn't understand. I shook my head, tried to look apologetic and said 'sorry' but he just repeated what he'd said before. So, I shook my head again and said 'Sorry, I only speak English' (true, I didn't even sit O Grade French :o ) when he repeated himself again I realised he was asking where to get the bus to Newcastle (his home town)! :lol:

Gremmie Sep 19th 2008 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 6801847)
I wasn't aware that there was such a language.....

Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges

Gremmie Sep 20th 2008 12:03 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6801589)

Yes it would,as the term bi-weekly meens TWICE A WEEK not FORTNIGHTLY:p

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801867)
Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges

NONE of which is Swiss.

willmore Sep 20th 2008 12:06 am

and to think we were once a colony of the UK......!:o

Gremmie Sep 20th 2008 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 6801883)
NONE of which is Swiss.

swiss german,swiss french,swiss italian and retro romansch:p:p
so min liibe gold schatz jetz bisch du wiider drah:eek:

Cmorffew Sep 20th 2008 12:33 am

My favourite .....

write me.

:curse:

mandymoochops Sep 20th 2008 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801481)
So do you have any examples of North American English ???

Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.:frown:

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 6801929)
swiss german,swiss french,swiss italian and retro romansch:p:p
so min liibe gold schatz jetz bisch du wiider drah:eek:

does the term clutching at straws mean anything to you?

Butch Cassidy Sep 20th 2008 1:02 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6801976)
Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.:frown:

I dont think the OP started out thick, I imagine he addled his three brain cells whilst sniffing the diesel fumes:eek: