Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WestJet flights to London Gatwick

WestJet flights to London Gatwick

Old Oct 25th 2015, 3:40 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WestJet flights to London Gatwick

Just a heads up if you booked Westjet Gatwick flights for late July onwards to check the prices every now and again.

When we booked our return leg for August there were no sale fares available at the time - we had to book those specific dates as we are limited with our vacation and the price was fairly reasonable anyway.

Just had a quick check and there are a lot of 'sale' reductions on quite a lot of the later flight prices for August - the flights for our family of four have dropped by over $150 each ($600 total)!!!

So, I have duly submitted my 'price drop guarantee' form to Westjet. We should get that $600 back in Westjet dollars once we have completed the flight so we'll be able to put the money to the next flight (shame its not cash but at least its not lost and I'll take what I can get!). I have faith this will work because the outbound flights dropped by $26 each and it needs to drop by $25 and we got the credits for those already!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Jpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of light

I'm coming out permanently to Vancouver in May 2016 (did a short landing Sept 2014) - just booked a one-way from London Gatwick for £230. Can't quite believe it - an equivalent flight on Air Canada was showing as £1500!

One thing I did notice - flight time from LGW to YVR shows as 10 hours 45 mins out but only 9 hrs 30 coming back. Why is that? Hope the new Westjet 767s go the distance!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I did notice - flight time from LGW to YVR shows as 10 hours 45 mins out but only 9 hrs 30 coming back. Why is that? Hope the new Westjet 767s go the distance!

Traffic lights on the return journey are better synchronized or it might be the jet stream.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jpod
I'm coming out permanently to Vancouver in May 2016 (did a short landing Sept 2014) - just booked a one-way from London Gatwick for £230. Can't quite believe it - an equivalent flight on Air Canada was showing as £1500!

Not unusual for one direction to be scheduled with less time. Airlines pad time into the schedule to account for ground delays, LGW is likely a fair amount busier then YVR is so more ground time needed plus different winds, traffic, time of day and a variety of other reasons go into the scheduled time.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:12 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jpod

Is down hill going back

Or

The jet stream (windy wind high up) travels west to east
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Traffic lights on the return journey are better synchronized or it might be the jet stream.
It's the prevailing winds - more likely to be a headwind heading west and tailwind heading east, so eastbound flights always have a shorter scheduled time.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of that before. Air Transat always seem to schedule 9h25m, but are closer to 9h regardless of direction?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same no matter where you are going (I think).

Vancouver to Toronto is half an hour shorter than Toronto to Vancouver. Flying East is quicker than flying West.

You really notice it on very long distances. Coming back to London from Oz for example, is a good couple of hours longer than the outbound flight (journey, I should say, as it's at least two flights).

S
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
It's the same no matter where you are going (I think).

Vancouver to Toronto is half an hour shorter than Toronto to Vancouver. Flying East is quicker than flying West.

You really notice it on very long distances. Coming back to London from Oz for example, is a good couple of hours longer than the outbound flight (journey, I should say, as it's at least two flights).

S
Interesting! Maybe I've always just been too tired to notice that extra half hour on my return journeys!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Paging Aviator....

Its the Jetstream. (High altitude winds blowing West to East). All Eastbound flights ride the jetstream and are shorter than the westbound flights that punch into them.

On the short hop from St John's to London, Eastbound the 2300 miles can take as little as 4hrs with a strong tailwind. Westbound it generally takes 5+ hours and when the jetstream is particularly strong, a refuelling stock in Ireland after leaving Heathrow is needed prior to heading across the pond. (This is in an Airbus 319 so not a lot of room for extra fuel).

Back onto the Westjet announcing flights to LGW topic.....AC dropped its prices next summer in response - at least for a while it did. I booked 4 return tickets YYT-LHR in August for $2365 taxes in. That's a cracking deal and about half what I thought I was going to have to pay based on prevailing fares when there was no competition. Thank you WJ!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I booked a flight this morning YYZ - MAN (direct) 23 November - 1 December 2015 with Transat $777.86

For around the same dates, I looked at Iceland Air (YYZ-RVK-MAN) $1198, as well as Air Canada (YYZ -LHR-MAN) $852.95, Air France (YYZ-CDG-MAN) $774.25
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I booked a flight this morning YYZ - MAN (direct) 23 November - 1 December 2015
That's a long flight. No wonder it was cheapest.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's a long flight. No wonder it was cheapest.

from post 101, the Air France flight was just under 13 hours, with the Transat Flight direct just over 7 hrs. Cattle class, but who cares, its only me going with a carry on. Train from Manchester airport to my destination (MIA - LIV) one hour, no changes is £15.50 return

Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

from post 101, the Air France flight was just under 13 hours, with the Transat Flight direct just over 7 hrs. Cattle class, but who cares, its only me going with a carry on. Train from Manchester airport to my destination (MIA - LIV) one hour, no changes is £15.50 return

Granted not non-stop since no airline seems to like San Diego from Vancouver, but takes almost that much time sometimes to get there...... Last time I went from Vancouver-YVR took 7 hrs and 22 mins with the connection in Los Angeles where the lay over was longer then the first flight....

Paid almost as much as your flight to UK as well, about 50 less.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

from post 101, the Air France flight was just under 13 hours, with the Transat Flight direct just over 7 hrs.
No...no...I meant "23 November - 1 December" 8 days was a long flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.