British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   WestJet flights to London Gatwick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/westjet-flights-london-gatwick-860204/)

Flossie and Jim Jun 16th 2015 4:34 am

WestJet flights to London Gatwick

Just announced from Spring 2016! WestJet's first wide body service will be to Gatwick. Looking forward to hearing which Canadian cities they will fly direct to and how much they will undercut the competition by!
WestJet flights to London - WestJet Blog

jandro Jun 16th 2015 5:30 am

Re: WestJet flights to London Gatwick

This will give Air Transat some competition. Maybe their service will improve.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 16th 2015 7:44 am

Westjet under cuts the competition?

Every time I need to fly the are the same price or more then the competition, have yet to find a fare that is the same or lower which sucks as I like them, but their prices are always high, the US airlines almost always undercut them by a good amount.

BristolUK Jun 16th 2015 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11676255)

Every time I need to fly the are the same price or more then the competition

I really can't remember who we flew with from Montreal to Moncton for the house hunt visit and later for the actual move, but returning to Montreal from Hamilton after the Toronto/Niagara honeymoon in 2004 and then from Hamilton (family trip Toronto/Niagara trip 2007) we used WestJet both times as they were cheaper than AC.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 16th 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11676541)
I really can't remember who we flew with from Montreal to Moncton for the house hunt visit and later for the actual move, but returning to Montreal from Hamilton after the Toronto/Niagara honeymoon in 2004 and then from Hamilton (family trip Toronto/Niagara trip 2007) we used WestJet both times as they were cheaper than AC.

Out of Vancouver I have found both more or less match one another, but too many variables and route options to figure it all out across their network...well for me anyhow...lol

Just looking at some random dates to Toronto in November and both are priced identically at 357.13 one way.....

To LA from YVR Westjet and AC have matched one another at 203 one way, where the US airlines have undercut both with 180 and 182 one way.

(I actually can't believe how cheap the fares to California from YVR have been, I think the US carriers are using the weaker CAD to their advantage)

Base fare on the 180 ticket is 98 dollars, the rest is taxes and misc fees.

haggis88 Jun 17th 2015 3:02 am

Will stick with AC since their rewards program is better :)

Londonuck Jun 17th 2015 9:52 am

They will simply make their price about 20 bucks cheaper than Transat or AC

bgpz Jun 17th 2015 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 11677081)
Will stick with AC since their rewards program is better :)

Westjet currently credits at 100% redeemable miles to American... most AC fares earn 25-50% of miles flows on Aeroplan these days (and, IIRC, it's similar when crediting to United)

Still, nothing to stop you from racking up miles on multiple programs :-)

jandro Jun 18th 2015 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11676255)

Every time I need to fly the are the same price or more then the competition, have yet to find a fare that is the same or lower which sucks as I like them, but their prices are always high, the US airlines almost always undercut them by a good amount.

They're flying the same routes as Air Transat so we'll see. I doubt prices will go down much if any. I think it would require a lot of competing airlines to bring prices down.

jerry brewer Jul 2nd 2015 11:03 pm

Hi
interesting but from vancouver do you have to fly to toronto and change flights or is it direct ?
for me it is always a balance between cost and who does a direct flight
cheers
jerry

SchnookoLoly Jul 2nd 2015 11:18 pm

I don't know for sure but I don't think westjet has any plans big enough to get from Vancouver to London, so I'd venture a guess it means a stopover, but I'm not certain.

Former Lancastrian Jul 2nd 2015 11:30 pm

If its the same one as what AC uses then the range is 10,549 km (6,555 miles).
The flight distance from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to London Gatwick Airport (LGW) is 4739 miles (7627 kilometers, 4118 nautical miles).
Flight Duration
Estimated flight time is 9 h 28 min.

Boeing 767-300ER

SchnookoLoly Jul 2nd 2015 11:32 pm

West jet doesn't have any 767s.

WestJet's fleet of Boeing 737-600, 700, 800 and Bombardier Q400 NextGen turboprop aircraft

Former Lancastrian Jul 2nd 2015 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11690557)

From the Westjet blog in post #1 :rofl:

Today we announced we have selected London, England as the first transatlantic destination from Canada for our wide-body Boeing 767-300 aircraft. Flights from Canada to London will be through London Gatwick.

sharkus Jul 3rd 2015 12:43 am

Interesting indeed. As I fly into Gatwick if going to the UK, more options from different carriers is always welcome.