Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Weather in Toronto!

The Weather in Toronto!

Old Nov 29th 2007, 3:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Weather in Toronto!

Most factory day shifts ends around 3.30pm...so they get to drive home in the sun at least, and afternoons get to drive in in the sun.

I do agree about all the salt and grit all over the car and roads though. No point trying to keep a pair of dark pants clean between November and April.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Willows Fairydogmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Pants being what you wear over your Y-fronts.....
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Most factory day shifts ends around 3.30pm...so they get to drive home in the sun at least, and afternoons get to drive in in the sun.
I work much harder in Winter than I do in Summer.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leoline
How seriously should I take all that is said about the weather in Toronto?

Should I fear the extreme cold/snow in the winter and the extreme hot/humid summers?
Stories about severe heat and humidity in Toronto are greatly exaggerated. Tens of millions of people in southern and/or coastal regions of the USA manage just fine; Florida is jam-packed with British expats. I was born, raised, and edumacated in Toronto. In my 30s I moved to Houston, where it was 90+ F with high humidity every day from May until October. Absolutely no comparison with Toronto. (I now live in Cleveland, where the climate is similar to that of Toronto).

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Toronto the cold and snow are very rarely a factor in everyday life but the salt and the dirt make winter miserable, it's hard to see out of the car windows, difficult to clean them in the dark and, anyway, more salt and dirt is coming as soon as you do clean them. If you take transit the passing cars blast you with waves of grey slush and, if you walk, you're at risk from the uncleared sidewalks of Lexus owners.
Agree 100% It was the dirty, salty slush that I hated more than anything else.

Last edited by Bill_S; Nov 29th 2007 at 6:28 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I work much harder in Winter than I do in Summer.
Naturally, me too....Golf is hard going here in the winter, unless you bugger of to north carolina or something...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Naturally, me too....Golf is hard going here in the winter, unless you bugger of to north carolina or something...
Quite. Because I start early, I can legitimately knock-off about 2pm. This is a good thing in Summer. The deck and garage are less enticing in Winter.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:57 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Quite. Because I start early, I can legitimately knock-off about 2pm. This is a good thing in Summer. The deck and garage are less enticing in Winter.
Hasn't stopped me from BBQ'ing a nice cowboy steak outside though, with some veggies and boiled potato to go with it.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veteran
Hasn't stopped me from BBQ'ing a nice cowboy steak outside though, with some veggies and boiled potato to go with it.

Same here although the BBQ has blown over twice in the last week so perhaps its time to move it to its winter home .... the Garage!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Same here although the BBQ has blown over twice in the last week so perhaps its time to move it to its winter home .... the Garage!
Our yard stuff was packed away a while ago. I haven't been out back in over a week. Other than the occasional foray to clear a path through the snow to allow the dog to get to whichever bit of the grass he intends to poison this Winter, I will likely not venture there until the thaw.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How seriously should I take all that is said about the weather in Toronto?
Said by whom?

Vancouverites are doing their best to dissuade me from coming.
You might wish to ponder why they care?

Should I fear the extreme cold/snow in the winter and the extreme hot/humid summers?

Oh, yes, you should be absolutely terrified by both things. Not to mention the incredible risk of being shot in crossfire between the Bloods and the Cripps or possibly the New Democrats and the Liberals.

Bloody dangerous place Toronto. Stay away if I were you.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woking to North Vancouver to Basingstoke to Toronto ...
leoline will become famous soon enough

I've been away for a few days.

Enjoyed reading all the replies about the weather.

Hmm...

With Global Warming, perhaps there is going to be a shift in the weather pattern.

Leo
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away for a few days.

Enjoyed reading all the replies about the weather.

Hmm...

With Global Warming, perhaps there is going to be a shift in the weather pattern.

Leo
More extreme and abnormal weather conditions, I think these snow falls come into that category. In a small way.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You 2 are a pair of nutters, but then again you are English

But anyway, I'm off out to clear the snow from the driveway then try to get the car down it.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666

But anyway, I'm off out to clear the snow from the driveway then try to get the car down it.
It's been a trying morning. Yesterday / Overnight 25cm of snow interspersed with periods of rain makes for snow the consistency of wet cement. Which means halfway through clearing the drive this morning the snowblower gave up the ghost & I had to shovel enough to get the Mrs's car out. At one point last night the power went out to all of the St John's area for an hour or so. That meant me finding my way from the basement in the pitch dark to the kitchen, picking up my cell, using its light to find the flashlights & then getting kitted up & driving, in the blizzard to the basement appartment where Mrs AX was babysitting to shine some light into her life. Worryingly, when the power went out the phones, both cell and landline appeared to go down as well which doesn't say much for Aliant's emergency preparedness.

Grrrr. Winter.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by steve666

Welcome to Ottawa.

I've just spent an hour and a half clearing my driveway. I'll do it again later. Next time will be harder because the git with the plough will have been round.

Nice to see, though, that the bin men turned up at the usual time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.