Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Weather in Toronto!

The Weather in Toronto!

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Weather in Toronto!

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It's been a trying morning. Yesterday / Overnight 25cm of snow interspersed with periods of rain makes for snow the consistency of wet cement.
Consistency on my driveway this morning after wet snow / freezing rain was more like set cement.

Tapped it a couple of times with the shovel, and when it didn't dent and I didn't sink through the top case hardened layer I though better off the whole idea of clearing it anyway, and went and chiseled the car out of its coating of ice instead.

Fortunately our neighbour with his ATV and plough offered to have a go at the drive later. Hes still in the honeymoon phase of that relationship. Somehow I dont think I'll be so lucky come February.

I did laugh when I saw the snowblower sale and repair place I drive past on the way to work having his driveway cleared by a guy on a tractor with a big blade...

Oh well, this time next week I'll be cruising the Caribbean
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh well, this time next week I'll be cruising the Caribbean
Isn't it still Hurricane season?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

We're hearing reports of colleagues having trouble getting into work in Toronto and Ottawa.... skivers or skaters?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it still Hurricane season?
That would explain why I can afford it

As long as there is no freezing rain or snow, its all good isnt it
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by snowbunny
We're hearing reports of colleagues having trouble getting into work in Toronto and Ottawa.... skivers or skaters?
I was supposed to be going to some training thing in Mississauga today, but we cried off.

My colleague who lives up by the Ottawa river couldn't get to the end of his (long) driveway, even with 4x4, so he never made it to my place this morning, and I didn't fancy making it to TO anyway and then getting stuck there as the freezing rain we have is heading that way apparently.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Welcome to Ottawa.

I've just spent an hour and a half clearing my driveway. I'll do it again later. Next time will be harder because the git with the plough will have been round.

Nice to see, though, that the bin men turned up at the usual time.
Well I can honestly say that in 33 years of driving, I have never taken out a car in such bad conditions. I took my son to work at SportsChek in Orleans (plug) at 9am. Clearing the snow from the driveway was ok because it was very powdery. Although it now has a passing resemblance to the parting of the Red sea. I'm half expecting Moses and his followers to knock on the garage door asking if they have come the right way to the promised land.

Driving here brings all sorts of interesting aspects to a journey. Like for instance praying that the next set of traffic lights don't turn red just as you approach because one knows one is not going to stop in time. Or going down a hill towards a major junction (as I did this morning) and ever so slightly putting one's foot on the brake to slow down the momentum of the car without going into a skid and colliding with the side of a truck, or several trucks.

Again this morning, turning right and being faced with the front end of a giant snow plough heading towards me on the wrong side of the road. I went around it as there was nothing coming in the opposite direction but it didn't bother to slow down!

The people in the UK with their BMW X5's and other SUV's they use to take their little sprogs to school in the dry and annoy other road users should be made give them as charity items to us. We have a bigger need.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by steve666

The people in the UK with their BMW X5's and other SUV's they use to take their little sprogs to school in the dry and annoy other road users should be made give them as charity items to us. We have a bigger need.
An X5 with those big fatass all seasons! That would be a nightmare in these conditions.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can honestly say that in 33 years of driving, I have never taken out a car in such bad conditions.
Do you have snow tires?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I can honestly say that in 33 years of driving, I have never taken out a car in such bad conditions. I took my son to work at SportsChek in Orleans (plug) at 9am. Clearing the snow from the driveway was ok because it was very powdery. Although it now has a passing resemblance to the parting of the Red sea. I'm half expecting Moses and his followers to knock on the garage door asking if they have come the right way to the promised land.

Driving here brings all sorts of interesting aspects to a journey. Like for instance praying that the next set of traffic lights don't turn red just as you approach because one knows one is not going to stop in time. Or going down a hill towards a major junction (as I did this morning) and ever so slightly putting one's foot on the brake to slow down the momentum of the car without going into a skid and colliding with the side of a truck, or several trucks.

Again this morning, turning right and being faced with the front end of a giant snow plough heading towards me on the wrong side of the road. I went around it as there was nothing coming in the opposite direction but it didn't bother to slow down!

I imagine that you will soon get used to driving in snow, just as you will learn the mid-Winter mince.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
An X5 with those big fatass all seasons! That would be a nightmare in these conditions.
The X5 that overtook me this morning was doing well, and he was going uphill. Mind you I was being overtaken by everyone.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you have snow tires?
I have no idea. They don't have 'snow tires' written on them but then they don't have 'all season tires' either. How does one tell by looking at them? Any markings?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I imagine that you will soon get used to driving in snow, just as you will learn the mid-Winter mince.
Go on, explain...or are you referring to the pies?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I have no idea. They don't have 'snow tires' written on them but then they don't have 'all season tires' either. How does one tell by looking at them? Any markings?
You would know if you did...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Winter...g#Winter_Tires

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt that the car came with snow tyres already fitted. You buy a set and take them (and the car) to a garage to have them fitted. You then spend the next few months tripping over the Summer tyres in the garage.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Go on, explain...or are you referring to the pies?
You will figure that one out too..or else keep falling over on your arse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.