Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Weather in Toronto!

The Weather in Toronto!

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Weather in Toronto!

Originally Posted by Madmac

Again, we should be given the option of shooting said idiots as part of some "winter safety driving law'

Too severe - Mmmm?
Mmmmmmaybe not.

One thing that drives me crazy is you get both ends of the spectrum.

Those that don't slow down and think they're invincible and those that slow to a crawl when the conditions do not in any way warrant it.:curse::curse:
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - but you're using a good old fashioned manual aren't you?
Yes. A manual or, worst case, semi-automatic is important to have in the winter, as it gives the driver much more control. I used to delight in pulling out stuck automatic SUVs with the manual Mustang.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:46 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Mmmmmmaybe not.

One thing that drives me crazy is you get both ends of the spectrum.

Those that don't slow down and think they're invincible and those that slow to a crawl when the conditions do not in any way warrant it.:curse::curse:
Totally agree. Mind you, most of the latter type wear flat caps, are of a certain age and drive sedans.

You're not one of them are you??
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I hate those slowcoaches.

Thats one area where having winter tires is great, no more tripidation crossing the snowy center line of the road to nip past them.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the winter drivers here really frighten me. I mean I can drive carefully all I want and be sensible yet they seem to think overtaking at high speeds in whiteout conditions is acceptable and then drive right up your bumper as an added thrill.
Again, we should be given the option of shooting said idiots as part of some "winter safety driving law'

Too severe - Mmmm?
That's what got me this morning, lights on, driving right up my ass (figuratively) then overtaking, I was doing 40Kmh goddammit. Then you catch up with them at the next set of traffic lights <shrugs shoulders> what can you do?

...Well what you can do is have hidden sabre blades fitted to the wheel rims and have them released and flung out at the press of a button as they pass. Can you get them at Canadian Tired?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree. Mind you, most of the latter type wear flat caps, are of a certain age and drive sedans.

You're not one of them are you??
No I'm not, if anything I could be accused of being the former, although I don't think so.

Most of the latter type here in Calgary are females of oriental decent.

I know that's likely to sound racist but it's an observation that seems to hold true.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
I was doing 40Kmh goddammit.
If so you want shooting. They have signs all over the place telling you the speed for the day, this morning the signs said 80 (that's 50mph) so I stuck to that speed.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If so you want shooting. They have signs all over the place telling you the speed for the day, this morning the signs said 80 (that's 50mph) so I stuck to that speed.
Sorry my mistake, I said 40, I left out the other 0.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

No I'm not, if anything I could be accused of being the former, although I don't think so.

Most of the latter type here in Calgary are females of oriental decent.

I know that's likely to sound racist but it's an observation that seems to hold true.
Another reason to choose Calgary!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:17 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

That's what got me this morning, lights on, driving right up my ass (figuratively) then overtaking, I was doing 40Kmh goddammit. Then you catch up with them at the next set of traffic lights <shrugs shoulders> what can you do?

...Well what you can do is have hidden sabre blades fitted to the wheel rims and have them released and flung out at the press of a button as they pass. Can you get them at Canadian Tired?
Yes - but they break on the first use and you have to wait in the unfeasibly long queue to return them.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - but they break on the first use and you have to wait in the unfeasibly long queue to return them.
and even then you have to give them their Canadian Tire money back.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

And then they want your canadian tire money back too. Oh, the humanity!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, but there is 'Wheel Blades Depot', they'll put on a coating of rhenium diboride for $25 per sabre. Good for over 100 tire slashes before you have to change blades.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, but there is 'Wheel Blades Depot', they'll put on a coating of rhenium diboride for $25 per sabre. Good for over 100 tire slashes before you have to change blades.
Good grief. You've heard of rhenium? What a strange world you must inhabit.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Good grief. You've heard of rhenium? What a strange world you must inhabit.
Must be like yours then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.