Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we making the right decision?

Are we making the right decision?

Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we making the right decision?

Originally Posted by chilly_canuck
Thanks for your question. I don't want to stray too far off the topic of this post, but yes you are right. Tuition fees vary in the UK and across Europe - England has the highest tuition fees of any European country and they are much more in line with what we would expect in Canada. Scotland, in line with the Scandinavian countries, Germany and Austria on the other hand doesn't charge fees. This article does a good analysis if you are interested in more information
Tuition fees: Should they go higher or lower? - BBC News
Scotland charges £9000 for English kids though, and as the OP is currently living in England that's more relevant to him.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well if you'd done that in the first place, all this nonsense about whether or not you should up sticks and move to Toronto could have had some context in the first place.

Are you and or your partner eligible for EE? What score do you get based on your form filling? This is important because as a junior buyer and a Boot's manager neither of you has any prospect of gaining an LMIA
< snipped >

We are eligible for EE, last time I did a calculation my score was in the high 400s/low 500s but can't remember specifically.

PS I'm a procurement manager, not a junior buyer. Big difference

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 16th 2016 at 7:43 pm. Reason: Move along please.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

I live just outside of Toronto, it's about 30 mins train ride from here to downtown.
Where abouts? The general consensus is that everyone has a huge commute every day, whether by car or train
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Indeed it's possible, assuming both of you qualify for IEC (i.e. are under 30 if you're Brits). Chris said that his partner has 15 years experience as a manager in a Boot's, so it seems probable that s/he is over 30.
Correct they are at the grand old age of 34 so guess that's out the window
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrough88
Where abouts? The general consensus is that everyone has a huge commute every day, whether by car or train
Oakville, and I worked at University and College
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Mid level Procurement job in GTA? $60-80k - as a general range. Take home pay calculate via taxtips.ca . Pensions a rarity in the private sector but most employers contribute to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) through some sort of matching contribution formula - typically 3-5% each from employer and employee. RRSP are equivalent(ish) to a money purchase or defined savings scheme in the UK.

No idea about employment prospects for a Boots manager. Assuming you can find a path for immigration / visa, then a responsible and conservative assumption is that you may have to support yourselves for a period on no income and one income as you are unlikely to both walk into jobs straight away.
I'd be happy to stay on the same money as I am now, around $80 as a lot of my outgoings now wouldn't be payable if we moved, for one reason or another. I know I'll have additional expenses that I'm now paying not but should be less

Last edited by chrisbrough88; Feb 16th 2016 at 6:18 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't imagine that's the consensus.

It's common, usual even, to commute for an hour or more. I've worked with several people who commuted two hours each way. Many people commute by car and then by train and then by subway so half an hour on the train is really much more. However, there are also people who walk to work. For a while I bicycled to work and I was not the only person who did so. I've worked with three people who lived for extended periods in the office and one who lived in his car under an adjacent building; very convenient.

"Everyone" no, "most people", I think so.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy to stay on the same money as I am now, around $80 as a lot of my outgoings now wouldn't be payable if we moved, for one reason or another. I know I'll have additional expenses that I'm now paying not but should be less
Don't forget to factor in the cost of the move though, never cheap unfortunately!
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't forget to factor in the cost of the move though, never cheap unfortunately!
I'd ensure we have sufficient savings too. Need at least $15k to move in the first place for PR. Need evidence of that prior to final application so plenty of time to save more afterwards too.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I walk if its not raining or take a taxi if it is but then I don't live in Toronto, thank god.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ensure we have sufficient savings too. Need at least $15k to move in the first place for PR. Need evidence of that prior to final application so plenty of time to save more afterwards too.
$15k won't even come close normally though - the general consensus on the forum is that the amount suggested by CIC is ludicrously low, even if you did find work straight away (unlikely, so better to have at least a few months living expenses to tide you over).

So yes, do save as much as possible, this thread has some useful figures in - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 16th 2016 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:35 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I walk if its not raining or take a taxi if it is but then I don't live in Toronto, thank god.
I am am going to drive over and give you a good spanking- As my mother would say, you are not too old to put over my knee If you cant play nicely......
Now go and sit on the naughty step and reflect on your behaviour
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

It's common, usual even, to commute for an hour or more. I've worked with several people who commuted two hours each way. Many people commute by car and then by train and then by subway so half an hour on the train is really much more. However, there are also people who walk to work. For a while I bicycled to work and I was not the only person who did so. I've worked with three people who lived for extended periods in the office and one who lived in his car under an adjacent building; very convenient.

It all depends what type of accommodation you want to live in. If you don't mind a high rise condo then you have a short commute if you want to a standalone house with garden, unless you are wealthy, you normally need to move out to burbs increasing the commute time.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33

Absolutely correct about the 30 min train ride becoming an hour long commute and my original post did actually say that. My boys were young when I did this commute, I used to really enjoy the 30 mins of peace on the train with a good book at the beginning and end of every day. The hike up University Avenue in -20 degrees or possibly worse +35, less so.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
It all depends what type of accommodation you want to live in. If you don't mind a high rise condo then you have a short commute if you want to a standalone house with garden, unless you are wealthy, you normally need to move out to burbs increasing the commute time.
Yes, I did all that. I lived on the Esplanade then moved out to the Beach in order to have room for a trampoline (outside, a house with space for an indoor trampoline is beyond me still). Whilst at the first address I was trudging up University like, and possibly with, the previous poster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.