Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we making the right decision?

Are we making the right decision?

Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we making the right decision?

This thread had potential, a fair question was asked, but once again sarcasm and the passive aggressive argumentative nature of certain responders has set it on a path to descend into meaningless dribble where the original poster will attempt to defend himself and others will pretend they're innocent yet further goad through passive aggressive means. I don't know why people can't live and let live and just move along if they do not like the content of a thread or the lack of detail put forward.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
An so the hen pecking of a new member begins again... Give up now ChrisBrough - Thread unsubscribed.
Nothing of the sort. Ask a decent question and he'll get a decent answer. There are a lot of people on here who have a wealth of information and experience and are willing to help if you have specific concerns.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilly_canuck
Firstly good luck with whatever you choose.

As a Canadian and former GTA (Greater Toronto Area) resident who has now moved to the UK my 2 cents worth would be that moving to Toronto is highly unlikely to make you any happier (if it is happiness that you are seeking!) - however it will offer a change, and that, for some people, is often enough.

From a personal perspective I found that Toronto, compared to Edinburgh (where I now live and work) has a worse work-life balance. These are the reasons why:

- People in Toronto think nothing of 10 - 12 hour days and have very poor vacation entitlement (often no more than 2 weeks per year) In Edinburgh I get 6 weeks, not including public holidays which are another 8 or 9 days on top of that. The only way to relax under such high stress environment is to take recreational drugs, which is why there is such a prevalence of 'relaxation' drugs over there at the moment. The 'rat race' in Toronto is, in my opinion, more soul destroying than in many other cities, and even other parts of Canada.
- the commuting. In the GTA most people commute for over an hour, each way, every day. My brother commutes for two hours each way every day - and this is not considered unusual. The urban sprawl in Toronto is terrible - this results in people having to get 'drive through' for everything from breakfast (often a donut from Tim Hortons) to banking (drive thru cash machines!) Compared to Edinburgh, where I can afford to buy a house in 'downtown' (which would have been unthinkable in Toronto) I can walk or cycle to work in 15 minutes. As a result I have lost about 20lbs since moving here - it has actually been good for my health!
- Other reasons, without going in to too much detail, would be:
-lack of affordable housing compared to incomes in the GTA
- the long cold winters - I guess you visited in the summer?
- the surprisingly high crime rates compared to Europe (they are low compared to America, but high compared to Europe)
- less longer term life chances for any children I may have (college / university fees in Canada can be crippling compared to most places and countries in Europe, like Edinburgh, where there are no college / university fees for residents)

However having said all that if you feel you are stuck in a rut then sometime a change is the only thing that can fix that. The change itself can help you look at things through new eyes and that can be very refreshing, no matter where you end up. The key question to ask yourself why you want to move. If it is just for a change then I would consider somewhere closer (and less expensive from a moving perspective) to home - either within the UK or Europe. As a UK citizen you have fantastic rights to live and work anywhere in Europe (I'm so envious of the rights UK citizens have - your passport gives you great opportunities!) so make sure you haven't exhausted those options before you decide!
Welcome to the forum, good post.

I do have to question your data on tuition fees. Scotland has different arrangements to England, but a quick Google shows that the max tuition fee in England is capped at £9000 and 76% of universities charge that amount. Ontario has the highest fees in Canada with projected average fees of $9000 in 2017. With the current exchange rate, even taking into account that the Canadian degree takes an extra year I don't think it's a massive difference in financial commitment for tuition fees. I can't find anything about a cap on the Ontario rates, but I have one son on a course that is less than $8000 in fees, the second one goes next year and his fees are likely to be $13000, both still stack up well against the £9000 that English universities charge.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I sometimes wonder when people ask non specific questions on forums such as these my answer would be we can't give you an answer we can only post our experiences or opinions good, bad or indifferent and our reasons for doing so vary.
As a forum is for open discussion, to seek advice on matters which people have knowledge about.
People have different experiences and thats what I was looking for.
My decision to move or not wouldn't fall soley on the output of this thread.

In terms of IEC I will have a read later tonight however if I can gain PR on my current status wouldn't that be easier? Again with fear of asking a question again before I am descended upon by those above I'll do my own research.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This thread had potential, a fair question was asked, but once again sarcasm and the passive aggressive argumentative nature of certain responders has set it on a path to descend into meaningless dribble where the original poster will attempt to defend himself and others will pretend they're innocent yet further goad through passive aggressive means. I don't know why people can't live and let live and just move along if they do not like the content of a thread or the lack of detail put forward.
Agreed, it wasn't terribly welcoming or friendly to the OP, although also doesn't break any Site Rules - unlike the OP's response. Judging from the words used in that it seems he's more than capable of standing up for himself and really doesn't need you to do it for him!

Back on track please peeps, ta muchly.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrough88
As a forum is for open discussion, to seek advice on matters which people have knowledge about.
People have different experiences and thats what I was looking for.
My decision to move or not wouldn't fall soley on the output of this thread.

In terms of IEC I will have a read later tonight however if I can gain PR on my current status wouldn't that be easier? Again with fear of asking a question again before I am descended upon by those above I'll do my own research.
The IEC is a lottery, but in practical terms it is easier to acquire than PR and will allow you two years to experience the country. In which time you could find out if you like it, potentially find an employer to complete an LMIA for your PR or gain Canadian work experience which will improve your scoring for express entry.

Either way if you're unsure IEC is potentially the fastest and best way to try it. However... its only good if you get selected! I believe you and your partner must apply separately two. So you must both be selected as individuals... unless one is willing to leave the other behind.
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What you mean by your 'current status'? Maybe I've missed it, but I thought you were in the UK?

If so, then unless you can apply for PR without a job offer, then IEC will be your quickest and easiest route over by a mile. You'll need to hurry up and apply if you want to get a visa and go before mid 2017 though, as the visa allocation is already well underway and there's a limit of 5000 per year for UKC's.

HTH, good luck.

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But who are you to determine what is a decent question. Can you copy me the rules set forth by you?
As far as I can see, this was your question. "Can something provide some advice to put my mind at ease and that we are doing the right thing."

I refer to my original response.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 16th 2016 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Back on track please peeps, ta muchly.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What you mean by your 'current status'? Maybe I've missed it, but I thought you were in the UK?

If so, then unless you can apply for PR without a job offer, then IEC will be your quickest and easiest route over by a mile. You'll need to hurry up and apply if you want to get a visa and go before mid 2017 though, as the visa allocation is already well underway and there's a limit of 5000 per year for UKC's.

HTH, good luck.
Thanks both I'll take a look.

In terms of status we as a couple have enough points for PR based on the current draws (Providing I don't duff the language tests)
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you'd done that in the first place, all this nonsense about whether or not you should up sticks and move to Toronto could have had some context in the first place.

Are you and or your partner eligible for EE? What score do you get based on your form filling? This is important because as a junior buyer and a Boot's manager neither of you has any prospect of gaining an LMIA.

So EE/PR or IEC are your options. Nebulous, unanswerable questions about whether you're making the right decision are somewhat premature until you actually have a decision to make, and even then they will remain unanswerable.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:45 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

No need to be so thin skinned. Quite a few posters found the original question asked a bit flimsy. Some of the regulars on here have seen 'tyre-kickers' many times, who drift onto the forum, have plans and ideas, talk up a storm, and then disappear. Hence some occasional scepticism or sarcasm. Nothing wrong with talking up a storm, nothing wrong with some frank remarks...it's only an Internet forum, not a counselling centre. Live and let live is a two way street BTW.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

In terms of status we as a couple have enough points for PR based on the current draws (Providing I don't duff the language tests)
We're going to apply for both express entry and the IEC as I believe that's possible.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's good, what's your score? You're highly unlikely to get a rubbish IELTS result, as long as you do a few practice papers first. Depends I guess on if you want to just try Canada out, or are sure about the move and don't mind spending a lot more money on the security of PR.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Sarcasm on a British forum. Who'dve thought it?

There is some good advice and comment in amongst the banter. On the general theme of moving to Canada mine would be consider all aspects and don't be surprised if many of the same things that frustrate you in UK end up frustrating you here. In particular, we pay as high taxes here (generally) as in the UK and your commute of an hour and 15 minutes is relatively short in GTA terms. (Greater Toronto Area). If you want a short commute you'll need to live close to work and that will likely preclude, easy access to the wide open spaces of Canada.

On Procurement specifically I might be able to help. I've worked in the sector, both in Canada and UK for 20something years. I'll drop you a PM.
I know that the sarcasm and banter can be a bit tough to handle when it's about your life, however, as said above, there has been some good advice amongst it. Those of us that have been hanging around here for some years have seen the same questions asked many times and as a result it does tend to lead to sarcastic response. It's not very welcoming, but to be honest, the banter is what keeps a lot of us here and as a group we have a lot of cumulative knowledge. So, ok, you had to put up with some sh1t but you learned about IEC and made a contact with someone in your profession. Take the good and scroll past the rest. All the very best with your decision.

I live just outside of Toronto, it's about 30 mins train ride from here to downtown, when I worked downtown it took me about an hour door to door, including drive to station and the walk at the other end. It has been a good move for us, but it doesn't work out for everybody. By the way I had visited on vacation once before we moved, my husband had never been, we did no research, but we did have jobs and paid expenses for our move which made a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.