Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we making the right decision?

Are we making the right decision?

Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are we making the right decision?

This has probably been asked a 100 different times in a 100 different ways so apologises for the repetition but hopefully someone can help put my mind at ease.

My partner and I have decided to move to Toronto following a brilliant holiday, being bored with our current situation and the yearning to do something else. We really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of Toronto and how safe it felt during the day and night. The city has a great feel about it and feels friendlier than other cities I've visited.

The research I've undertaken tells me that Toronto is a great place to live etc etc but I think that the articles are all written by Canadians so it loses a bit of credit from my point of view as they are already Canadian and understand the way of life.

Having read some forums on here I get the feeling that a few regret the move, find making friends difficult due to a variation in humour and find everything to be a bit dull. It seems that some things are a lot more expensive than the UK (cable, mobiles, vets, insurances) but other things cheaper.

There is also the worry of finding a job. I work within procurement at a reasonable level (earning 40k pa outside London) but have only been in the sector for 2 years. I have found some jobs online but as salaries are unknown and negotiable I have no idea of what I could expert to receive (not forgetting understanding my potential take home pay). My partner is a manager at Boots with 15 years experience so hoping that will be transferable too. As a side 10 days annual leave is embarrassing and I don't think employers contribute to pensions but I may be mistaken.

Can something provide some advice to put my mind at ease and that we are doing the right thing. Or whether to sort our lives out closer to home and save the months and months of saving?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by chrisbrough88; Feb 14th 2016 at 9:08 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we making the right decision?

Originally Posted by chrisbrough88

Can something provide some advice to put my mind at ease and that we are doing the right thing. Or whether to sort our lives out closer to home and save the months and months of saving?

Thanks in advance
I don't think they can. People can tell you of their experiences, good and bad, but they are not you. They cannot tell you if you look back after five years you will be glad, or regret, that you gave it a go.

It might work out great but it is a risk. What is the worst that can happen? You give up good jobs in the UK, spend a load on moving to Canada, not get jobs here, spend all your savings and go back to the UK in a few years time many tens of thousands of pounds out of pocket.

If you can live with that risk then why not?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You could also take a look at the "massively disappointed" and similar offshoot threads to see how there's no agreement whether opinions are offered by Canadians or Brits.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This has probably been asked a 100 different times in a 100 different ways so apologises for the repetition but hopefully someone can help put my mind at ease.

This has been answered 100 different times and in a 100 different ways.

There is only one person who can answer this question and the only way you will find out is doing it and deciding afterwards if it was right or wrong for you.

Life is full of what ifs. One can choose to turn those what ifs into reality, or one can but wonder. Eventually we run out of time and are only left with time to wonder, if only!

Thankfully and for the most part, I have few what ifs. Lots of happy memories, a few close calls, some crash and burn (prefer not to repeat these) and lots of lessons learned. I am still learning, taking a chance, giving it a shot.

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 15th 2016 at 12:45 am.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to BE

The annual leave situation is misunderstood by a lot of people.

In Canada you get annual vacation this is typical 10-15 days legal minimum depending on the province. ON is 10 as you mentioned a lot of national companies and companies offering "skilled/middle class" jobs tend to pay 15 days as apposed to the min with an additional 5 days at 10 years service (law in some Prov, a benefit in others).

there are also statutory holidays which are paid days off vary from prov to prov but call it 10 days.

so that's a total of 25 days not 10 days. still less than the typical 28-35 seen in the UK but workable.

I get a pension contribution and full medical dental benefits. seems to be the norm for most skilled/middle class jobs for reasonable employers. if you get an equivalent $80k job out here i would be surprised if it did not come with such benefits.

as for if the move is a good idea... i would not move without a job offer get a EE profile set up and see were you for points and take it from there.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
there are also statutory holidays which are paid days off vary from prov to prov but call it 10 days.

so that's a total of 25 days not 10 days. still less than the typical 28-35 seen in the UK but workable.
I wouldn't go counting statutory holidays like that. Yes you get them off but it's not like you can bank them and use them all together. Plus if you work in retail you may be required to work those days and get a different day off in lieu, which is not great if your partner has them off.

The reality is that most employers give 10-15 days of vacation that you can actually use to go away. You may get 20 depending on the industry and job.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

chrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond reputechrisbrough88 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your responses

As you have said it is a big risk, made even more so as I consider myself to be a risk averse person so this whole plan is way out of my comfort zone before we even get going. I think it boils down to whether you ever stop comparing the 2 countries and can enjoy living with whatever Canada has to offer.

The amount of annual leave is rubbish compared to here however you look at it. In my latest job move I lost the ability to build up days off on top of my leave and it has been a bit of a struggle getting used to it. I accept that that is a part of working my way up the chain so will just have to get over it.(first world problems I know)

I've checked out the other forum posts and thats what has started to make me think about it. I don't consider myself to be easily persuaded but when there appears to be more negative than positive posts it does start to put you off. I guess the majority of the people who have enjoyed the risk are out enjoying it, with only a few being on here to share it.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johntheScot
as for if the move is a good idea... i would not move without a job offer get a EE profile set up and see were you for points and take it from there.
I will have enough points come October oncd I have passed my latest round of procurement exams. I've had to make a guess at the language test scores based on what I think I'll get. I don't want to pay for anything until I know is a go-er.

It's a shame you can't get the process going until you've done these tests but guess its just the way it is
Old Feb 15th 2016, 7:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your responses

As you have said it is a big risk, made even more so as I consider myself to be a risk averse person so this whole plan is way out of my comfort zone before we even get going. I think it boils down to whether you ever stop comparing the 2 countries and can enjoy living with whatever Canada has to offer.

The amount of annual leave is rubbish compared to here however you look at it. In my latest job move I lost the ability to build up days off on top of my leave and it has been a bit of a struggle getting used to it. I accept that that is a part of working my way up the chain so will just have to get over it.(first world problems I know)

I've checked out the other forum posts and thats what has started to make me think about it. I don't consider myself to be easily persuaded but when there appears to be more negative than positive posts it does start to put you off. I guess the majority of the people who have enjoyed the risk are out enjoying it, with only a few being on here to share it.
-snip-

I know it us none of my business but why are you contemplating the move- you have sound jobs, well paid, good holidays and no obvious compelling reason up sticks across the world.

There are posters here who will give opinions warts and all, some post say that they detest the place but tolerate it but I think do it with humour and sarcastic comment so whilst you ask your why the hell do they live here, they actually like it here and have I believe a good life. -snip-

There are people who do feel trapped by their finances and would love to leave. There are, as you suspect loads of expats that arrive in Canada and then go and enjoy life without feeling the need to help other potential future immigrants, or to join banter with Brits - they are probably the sensible ones. Ultimately you need to do a lot of soul searching and reading. It takes huge research, we did it, we worked our asses off getting over here, we love it here- it isn't perfect but offers most of the things that we want from life- not for everyone, clearly but we chose carefully beforehand, putting in the research- do it yourself, you never can do enough of it and even if you didn't like it here the you could go back, hopefully enriched by the experience.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 15th 2016 at 7:22 am. Reason: Sorry, but digs at other members really not on, pls don't drag them in to this thread. Thx.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

I know it us none of my business but why are you contemplating the move- you have sound jobs, well paid, good holidays and no obvious compelling reason up sticks across the world.
It would seem one hell of a decision to make based on one holiday to one city, uprooting your family to live, not only in a different city/town, but also in a different country where EVERYTHING is different, except for MOST of the language. Toronto might well seem very nice when you are there for a couple of weeks, but holidaying and living are two totally different things. The cost of just making the move will be into many thousands of £s, visas, removals, pets (if any) to move, and you would need a fair cushion of money when you do move.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

We have reasonably well paid jobs and have a nice house in a nice area but there is something missing. I am only 27 and living the life of a person much older than I am. I go to work, come home, eat sleep repeat. My majority of my friends have moved on or have had babies and I feel that life is moving on and I'll stuck in a rut.

This isn't a reason to move across the world but I want to feel like I've done something with my life. I could move to a bigger city (currently in Liverpool) but itll be the same crap different place. My family consists of my partner and our dogs so we aren't really tied to anything. I couldn't justify moving to another place in the UK just to be nearer the shops or a half decent high Street.

I am under no illusions that Toronto will have its problems and the walking round with stars in my eyes won't last long but its a new city in a new country with new opportunities (isnt it?)

People probably think were mad moving so far just go ignite a spark but there you go
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

We have reasonably well paid jobs and have a nice house in a nice area but there is something missing. I am only 27 and living the life of a person much older than I am. I go to work, come home, eat sleep repeat. My majority of my friends have moved on or have had babies and I feel that life is moving on and I'll stuck in a rut.

This isn't a reason to move across the world but I want to feel like I've done something with my life. I could move to a bigger city (currently in Liverpool) but itll be the same crap different place. My family consists of my partner and our dogs so we aren't really tied to anything. I couldn't justify moving to another place in the UK just to be nearer the shops or a half decent high Street.

I am under no illusions that Toronto will have its problems and the walking round with stars in my eyes won't last long but its a new city in a new country with new opportunities (isnt it?)

People probably think were mad moving so far just go ignite a spark but there you go
You seem to be too comfortable. It doesn't sound like Toronto is the solution.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much older than you (30) and my gf is younger (26). We both have had the feeling that we want to try life elsewhere since before we even finished uni. Now we're older and have some experience we are more set than ever that we have to give it a shot. We actually want to settle down, but we feel we can't because we haven't explored this yet and we don't want to settle down and complicate things or worse; end up not trying and regretting it.

We both have the feeling that there must be something better/different to life in the UK, we both have decent jobs/careers and own a home (in Wigan... not too far from yourself) but we don't like the thought of bringing up children here. The increase in in-equality, being taxed into the ground, no open spaces, constant congestion. We recognise Canada may not be 'better' but it may be different enough for it to better suit who we are as people.

I think only you can make a decision based on the people that you are. But I think in later life when people are asked what they regret; its more often the things they didn't do than the things they did.

You'll lose your job, some time and thousands of pounds. But you may end up with a different life which suits you more than the one you have. If you don't like it then atleast you know and you can consider those losses as an investment in knowledge which will underpin your security in the UK. If it doesn't work out then you won't be dreaming about it when things are crap in the UK. You'll at least know that you tried and actually you prefer the UK. The only decision is are you willing to take the risk? Do you think the risk is worth it? For us, we believe it is.

Last edited by Shakyuk; Feb 15th 2016 at 11:00 am. Reason: Typo's
Old Feb 15th 2016, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm not much older than you (30) and my gf is younger (26). We both have had the feeling that we want to try life elsewhere since before we even finished uni. Now we're older and have some experience we are more set than ever that we have to give it a shot. We actually want to settle down, but we feel we can't because we haven't explored this yet and we don't want to settle down and complicate things or worse; end up not trying and regretting it.

We both have the feeling that there must be something better/different to life in the UK, we both have decent jobs/careers and own a home (in Wigan... not too far from yourself) but we don't like the thought of bringing up children here. The increase in in-equality, being taxed into the ground, no open spaces, constant congestion. We recognise Canada may not be 'better' but it may be different enough for it to better suit who we are as people.

I think only you can make a decision based on the people that you are. But I think in later life when people are asked what they regret; its more often the things they didn't do than the things they did.

You'll lose your job, some time and thousands of pounds. But you may end up with a different life which suits you more than the one you have. If you don't like it then atleast you know and you can consider those losses as an investment in knowledge which will underpin your security in the UK. If it doesn't work out then you won't be dreaming about it when things are crap in the UK. You'll at least know that you tried and actually you prefer the UK. The only decision is are you willing to take the risk? Do you think the risk is worth it? For us, we believe it is.
I completely agree. If I looked back in 10 years and hadn't done anything I would probably have a bit more money etc but I'd still be living the life I am now, the mundane work sleep work sleep. I'd regret not trying to better myself in a new place. And if it all falls down then at least I can say I've tried.

I honestly think if we have get enough money together we will do it but if I'm honest the thought of failure scares the life out of me. A) for the money and the effort and B) because what now?

We aren't having kids but agree that the UK is on a down turn. The calibre of people you share the streets with, the constant level of crime (even though I'm a a relativity safe area you only have to drive 5 mins to witness it again), the rising cost of everything and more than anything the fact that we are so bored with life, the same restaurants/shops, the same everything.

Moving to another city in the UK wouldn't turn that feeling around.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

I often thought that I would like to have the opportunity to live in a different country for a while, and felt like I would be disappointed to look back on my life if that hadn't happened. Nearly seven years ago, we were given the chance to come to Canada - we were 50ish, with two teenage children, but had the advantage of a job here - and we all decided we'd risk the move.

We've been living here for nearly 6 years now, and on the whole, it's been good - not necessarily better or worse overall, but different. We've had to balance the 'thrill' of experiencing a different way of life, against the stability of still living in the UK.
Obviously I still wonder at times what our lives would be like if still living there, and there are regrets at times for missing key moments and people, but balanced against that are new experiences here.
So, our situation was completely different to yours - easier in some ways in having a job to come to, but more difficult in others, in leaving a long established and comfortable lifestyle, for a step into the unknown.

But, you know what? It's been good for us all. It took us out of our comfort zone, gave us all new challenges, and they still continue. My daughter (nearly 22 now), I think in particular recognizes that and relishes the challenges she has and is conquering. She can see and appreciate that she has a different outlook on life than she would have had if our lives hadn't changed in this way.

Sometimes, you just have to step into the dark and embrace it but be prepared if you can, if things don't work out the way you want it.
There's an old Confucius saying, something along the lines of 'Live as though you'll die tomorrow, plan as though you'll live forever' - another one is 'You only have one life'.

It sounds like you want/need to do something different, whether it's moving to Canada or not I don't know, but good luck in whatever you decide!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.