Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:17 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Originally Posted by Getting There
Good choice re Tuscany...very nice area.

Eamonn & Janet.
Some of the residents are a bit dodgy though
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
We didn't like to say!

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Rob Anders actually live in Tuscany?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:13 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Does Rob Anders actually live in Tuscany?
Not sure but apparently someone called Harper has an address there
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheStennings
Congratulations on getting there. Interesting to read these just landed ones as they give you an insight. Oh as for the TV, I love american/Canadian programs when we watch them here but over there i think i would get frustrated with the adverts so i'd be looking for a sky+ alternative to record them and fast forward through them if i was desperate but going out for walks...with that scenery has got to be a must

We have had a 90 day letter it think you call it where were being asked for up to date info (police checks property worth etc) with potential visas early-ish next year.

We are hoping when the visas arrive to pick them up in Calgary and spend maybe a week or two there 'living it' by renting out a place and cooking et all that ourselves. hopefully get more of a flavour of the place to help out our decisions should we do this (leaving family behind is the big issue especially since my dad died 5 months ago).

Sorry to be nosey but I too would be interested to know the costs you had to outlay etc... from selling our house to paying off the mortgage I am hoping to have maybe £200k left but then paying for shipping and I have no idea of other costs as yet but its some time away! feel free to PM me!

I shall certainly be mailing you BorninCalgary as/when we decide if we are moving out there for lower crime free areas
We will send you a PM if we may. In the meantime, you may be interested to take a look at our blog (link in the signature line below) which covers our experience in and around Calgary, since moving here from the UK 11 months ago.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure but apparently someone called Harper has an address there
Well if it's Stephen then he is a very dodgy character.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well if it's Stephen then he is a very dodgy character.
Yeah what kinda place is it........................

Neo-Fundmentalist-Con-Religious-RightWing-MP AND Harper Residence

AND even worse you have neo-libetarian-socialst-facist-racist-crapposting-scum -bucket expats living there as well.

I'd steer well clear.

OOPS I forgot at least the Alderman doesn't ride a Harley (or if he does he's a hypocrite )
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:30 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amardan
Have sent you a PM
Ahhhh didnt relise it was you
Well done on the move, cant believe you made it before us

Hope everything goes well, sent you an email with our new details on

Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:45 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you have settled, welcome to Canada
Terese
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by amardan
Hi we are living in the NW Calgary a place called Tuscany it is lovely, we have some mountains views at the front of the house but the our back yard is a bit small and overlooked, everything else is fine. We are renting at the moment and hope to be in a position to buy. We like the look of Cochrane and the people are so friendly and welcoming. Our lady in the bank bends over backwards to help us out with questions and directions of places to go to get furniture. There is a place here called The Brick and we found it very reasonable and Bestbuy is where we bought our HDMI TV which works great with our laptop so am still able to watch some of my UK dvd's. There are just a couple of things haven't been able to get hold of yet and that is a Skype phone (which is no prob as use the laptop) and Mulit-region dvd players. We have been advised that the NE Calgary is not that suitable to live if you have a family as the crime is a little higher there. We are about an hour away which is fine and still commutable.
Congratulation on your move and welcome to the North west!
We are just up the hill from you in Royal Oak.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Getting There
We will send you a PM if we may. In the meantime, you may be interested to take a look at our blog (link in the signature line below) which covers our experience in and around Calgary, since moving here from the UK 11 months ago.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Many Thanks guys, I'll check out the blog at the weekend and please feel free to PM us. I have no idea how long until we obtain our visas(expecting early next year) but we are my wife is checking out apartments for us to stay as/when we have to go out to get the visas- might as well do a recce!

Be interesting to see what facilities they have for teenagers out there as our kids are slightly older (Kelly - 14 next week, Scott 11) and we may have to fasttrack our move if we decide to get her out before the GCSEs set in...hmm might do a separate post about that one!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Congratulation on your move and welcome to the North west!
We are just up the hill from you in Royal Oak.
Thanks yes I know where Royal Oak is a couple of times my hubby overshot the turning and we ended up somewhere near there. ha ha. How are you finding it and have you been here long?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Congratulations on your move, and glad you are settling in.

We have been here just over 2 years now and still love it.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LotteW
Congratulations on your move, and glad you are settling in.

We have been here just over 2 years now and still love it.
That's encouraging to read thanks we love here also and we have only been here 2 weeks, so there is still hope for us.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:16 am
I'm here somewhere

DSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant future

Just reading about everyone's experience is so heartwarming, we are moving to Vancouver May 2009, we originally wanted to settle in Calgary but hubby was offered a job in Vancouver, who knows we may still come to Calgary at a later date

I've been through every emotion possible since hubby has had his job offer and we know the move is definitely on, there are times when I want to bury my head and not go at all, but from reading all your posts makes me determined we will make the move and I know we wont regret it.

Now will someone please hold my hand and make all these big decisions for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.