Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:52 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Originally Posted by BorninCalgary
I have an interesting view of Calgary as Ive actully lived he all my life, My wife, my mother,my grandmother,my mother in law, my father in law are all from England. My Father is from New Zealand.

The city has grown alot in the last 20 years, but it still has the western charm and friendly attitude. You will find very little history in Calgary as the city is just over 100 years old, but its a clean and appealing city as it has more job opportunities then most other cities due to the large number of Oil and Gas head offices. Its close proximity to the mountains make in an Ideal destination hub for those who wish to enjoy sports like skiing!

One place in Calgary that British Immigrants will find appealing is Mckenzie Towne in the SE of Calgary. Its one of the few neighborhoods in Calgary were you can walk to the market and other amenities (It even has a round about! a rarity in Canada). My experience from my Britsh Clients is they have really preferred the Deep South in Calgary. The NW is my 2nd choice for locating clients. Then lastly the NE
The NE has a very international flare to it, has alot of different cultures living there, not that is a bad thing but it does have the Stigma of having higher crime.. But I can show people pockets of crime in any quadrant of the city.
people have said, that Mckenzie has access/exit problems if Deerfoot is snarled up, although i believe you can still get out the east somewhere

also i question the 'clean and appealing city' bit if you venture the wrong side of the tracks or even 7th Ave after sundown, and am not talking NE gangs here , am talking the well dodgy geezers
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

BorninCalgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
people have said, that Mckenzie has access/exit problems if Deerfoot is snarled up, although i believe you can still get out the east somewhere

also i question the 'clean and appealing city' bit if you venture the wrong side of the tracks or even 7th Ave after sundown, and am not talking NE gangs here , am talking the well dodgy geezers
Yah the deerfoot exit has held some people up especially if there is an accident just north of it, but they are options of going out south east on to 22x now near Copperfield which has relieved some problems. As for the Clean and Appealing city comment, Calgary is a clean and appealing city for the most part but as with all cities of Calgary's size. Some elements just cant be avoided. I wouldnt walk around alot of parts of Newcastle or Birmingham either after sundown! But I would freely walk anywhere in my community (Somerset) at anytime of the day or night. But Mckenzie towne has been quoted to me by quite a few Expats that it reminds them alot of home more than other neighbourhoods because all the ammenties are designed to be within walking distance. Garrison woods also has this feel.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:29 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan
we bought our HDMI TV which works great with our laptop so am still able to watch some of my UK dvd's..........and Mulit-region dvd players
Wal-Mart stock an excellent Philips DVD player,about $45, that up converts standard definition DVD's to High Def and is very easily mde multi-region. It also plays DIVX and other DVD formats for downloading tv shows from the internet
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:08 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Glad to hear you are settling in well. We are coming over to Calgary next month to land and will be back over there next March to live. It's all so exciting.

Good Luck with it all.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Glad to hear you are settling in well. We are coming over to Calgary next month to land and will be back over there next March to live. It's all so exciting.

Good Luck with it all.
Best wishes with your landing and subsequent move too IckleHelen. Hope it goes great.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Tinned tomatoes shouldn't be a problem .. Safeway sells whole, chopped and pureed (passata) in tins .... but maybe you should have said "canned" for a better response?

Welcome to Calgary!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:57 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Glad you have arrived safe

Any tips or tricks on car buying will be welcomed, we are aweek away from you.
Leaving house unsold in the uk and limited funds, but "hey" thats life

I do hear that walmart is the place
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:22 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear about all these new arrivals in Calgary, I moved here in July to the South East, Mckenzie Towne and I love it here. Everything is very familiar to me here kind of like being at home but the weather nicer! ALso everything is quite at hand, as someone said within walking distance.... they have an amazing farmers market with fresh fruit and veg that is a good bit cheaper than the shops.

We have been renting and just bought a house in McKenzie on Saturday so this is where we are definately laying our foundations. Kids love it here, plenty of children to play with and things to do. I have a 7 year old and an 18 month old. And they are outside the majority of the time.

ALso 5 mins drive to ikea and all the main stores that you need so it is a great location.

My only complaint is that you cant get a decent indian! Although I have a recipe from a book called the curry secret which is pretty close!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point

Amarden,

I have just sent you a pm, I think we have alot in common.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khuppe
My only complaint is that you cant get a decent indian!
What have you tried?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kokanee
Good to hear you have settled in nicely. We are moving to Calgary on the 13th October so hearing a positive story is timely.
Good luck with your move, do you have an area in mind yet or are you still deciding?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khuppe
My only complaint is that you cant get a decent indian! Although I have a recipe from a book called the curry secret which is pretty close!
Try Moti Mohal in Midnapore, very good and Green Chili on MacLeod up almost opposite the used book store just before you get to Glenmore
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:07 am
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the Indian references...

I miss my chicken Madras but if anyone wants to know a brilliant recipe that you can adapt to make a korma,madras etc let me know! Its a basic curry sauce that all Indian Restaurants use.

But looks like I will be getting the hubby to try another Indian this weekend!to pl

But small price to pay for a fab lifestyle!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moondevil
Glad you have arrived safe

Any tips or tricks on car buying will be welcomed, we are aweek away from you.
Leaving house unsold in the uk and limited funds, but "hey" thats life

I do hear that walmart is the place
Have sent you a PM
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on getting there. Interesting to read these just landed ones as they give you an insight. Oh as for the TV, I love american/Canadian programs when we watch them here but over there i think i would get frustrated with the adverts so i'd be looking for a sky+ alternative to record them and fast forward through them if i was desperate but going out for walks...with that scenery has got to be a must

We have had a 90 day letter it think you call it where were being asked for up to date info (police checks property worth etc) with potential visas early-ish next year.

We are hoping when the visas arrive to pick them up in Calgary and spend maybe a week or two there 'living it' by renting out a place and cooking et all that ourselves. hopefully get more of a flavour of the place to help out our decisions should we do this (leaving family behind is the big issue especially since my dad died 5 months ago).

Sorry to be nosey but I too would be interested to know the costs you had to outlay etc... from selling our house to paying off the mortgage I am hoping to have maybe £200k left but then paying for shipping and I have no idea of other costs as yet but its some time away! feel free to PM me!

I shall certainly be mailing you BorninCalgary as/when we decide if we are moving out there for lower crime free areas

Last edited by TheStennings; Sep 17th 2008 at 10:41 pm. Reason: forgot to add !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.