Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have arrived in Calgary at last Yippee!

Originally Posted by DSLJFreeman
Just reading about everyone's experience is so heartwarming, we are moving to Vancouver May 2009, we originally wanted to settle in Calgary but hubby was offered a job in Vancouver, who knows we may still come to Calgary at a later date

I've been through every emotion possible since hubby has had his job offer and we know the move is definitely on, there are times when I want to bury my head and not go at all, but from reading all your posts makes me determined we will make the move and I know we wont regret it.

Now will someone please hold my hand and make all these big decisions for me
This is all completely normal. It's a rollercoaster ride...it certainly lets you know you are alive! Here...take these virtual hands from Alberta...you'll be just fine.

Best wishes,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:58 am
I'm here somewhere

DSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Getting There
This is all completely normal. It's a rollercoaster ride...it certainly lets you know you are alive! Here...take these virtual hands from Alberta...you'll be just fine.

Best wishes,

Eamonn & Janet.

Hi guys,

I never thought it possible to go through all these emotions within a 24 hour period.

Although I'm married with 2 kids I still feel like a little girl and shouldn't be making such big decisions, but thank you for your virtual helping hands, I'm sure we'll be fine too, just a bit scary thinking about a whole new way of life.

Laura x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:00 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

congratulatiuons on moving to calgary , we love it there
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DSLJFreeman
Hi guys,

I never thought it possible to go through all these emotions within a 24 hour period.

Although I'm married with 2 kids I still feel like a little girl and shouldn't be making such big decisions, but thank you for your virtual helping hands, I'm sure we'll be fine too, just a bit scary thinking about a whole new way of life.

Laura x
I felt exactly the same especially as it only took 2 weeks for the LMO to come through and then all our 2 years of planning and wishing was upon us. The one thing I can say though it has been worth it to see the children fitting in so well and that my son would have been going to secondary school after the summer hol which I felt he was not ready for and arriving here with him and my daughter going to elementary and redoing the years that they had completed in UK. Which pleased me very much. I personally feel the worst bit is being in the UK and sorting out everything and we found the first 2 weeks here have been quite hectic. But now everything is now in place we are now able to relax and enjoy our surroundings. Once I was on the plane I felt all my anxieties ebb away and then excitement took over. I also offer you my virtual hand but sure once you get here and get sorted you will all be fine. All the best and good luck with everything.
Rachel
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:51 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Welcome to Calgary!! We've been here nearly a month now - unbelievably! We've been surprised at how settled we feel already - although I still like my Tomtom by my side - just in case! :-)

Have had no trouble finding tinned toms either - Superstore have plenty! Diced, whole or crushed -whatever takes your fancy! They also stock small pots of Marmite!

About the only thing I'd warn Brits about is that pedestrians take priority here -some don't even look when they cross the roads at the Malls. It's not an issue (personally I think it's how it should be) but you need to be aware, especially if you've come from London -where you take life into your own hands as a pedestrian & cars definitely rule the roads!!

I've started my job & I think I'm going to be just fine there. The kids are loving school & have loads of friends already - even the teen!!

All in all it's a move we're glad we made & it's certainly been good for the kids - they spend so much time at the parks & out with they're mates that the computer & Playstation have almost collected dust! I'm sure they'll get more attention when the weather comes in though!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RN1
Welcome to Calgary!! We've been here nearly a month now - unbelievably! We've been surprised at how settled we feel already - although I still like my Tomtom by my side - just in case! :-)

Have had no trouble finding tinned toms either - Superstore have plenty! Diced, whole or crushed -whatever takes your fancy! They also stock small pots of Marmite!

About the only thing I'd warn Brits about is that pedestrians take priority here -some don't even look when they cross the roads at the Malls. It's not an issue (personally I think it's how it should be) but you need to be aware, especially if you've come from London -where you take life into your own hands as a pedestrian & cars definitely rule the roads!!

I've started my job & I think I'm going to be just fine there. The kids are loving school & have loads of friends already - even the teen!!

All in all it's a move we're glad we made & it's certainly been good for the kids - they spend so much time at the parks & out with they're mates that the computer & Playstation have almost collected dust! I'm sure they'll get more attention when the weather comes in though!
It's great to read that so many people feel settled here and in a short space of time. I am still a bit nervous to try and drive and painstakingly watch o/h at the moment. But it doesn't help when o/h sometimes witout thinking on a left turn goes up the road the wrong way and has to quickly pull into a turning or do a very quick u-turn. In fairness he has only done this twice. As soon as my no claims comes through from the UK then I will be insured and will have to venture out. I also agree the Tomtom is very handy and helps with getting to know your way around as I am useless at reading maps, so it causes less arguments and blame throwing. I am now getting used to finding my way around the superstore and yes I have now found canned tomatoes, hooray! I also agree the move here has been great for our kids as they are always out playing with their friends and we go for walks as often as we can. It is so nice when they come in and tell us that they have been playing rounders, basketball and making javelins out of sticks. Also the Nintendo DS's are only played with slightly now instead of them constantly having their noses in them and not able to get a decent word or conversation out of them, which is great!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Getting There
We will send you a PM if we may. In the meantime, you may be interested to take a look at our blog (link in the signature line below) which covers our experience in and around Calgary, since moving here from the UK 11 months ago.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Hi guys

I have sent you an email on the address you gave me.

Oh BTW I have had a TomTom 910 for a couple of years which has multiple maps inc US/Canada. I have not used it over there as yet but can see its potential ... the only issue i ever had with it was well..erm... a couple of maps got deleted by accident and as it doesnt come with a cd the only way to get hem back is sending the unit off to the manufacturer. Oh well I wasnt going to Uganda or the Canary Islands anyway
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by amardan
Thanks yes I know where Royal Oak is a couple of times my hubby overshot the turning and we ended up somewhere near there. ha ha. How are you finding it and have you been here long?
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, don't seem to have as much time to be on the computer recently.
We arrived in Calgary about 8 weeks ago, and moved into Royal oak about 5 weeks ago. We love Calgary and find the NW a very nice place to be, very peaceful and quiet. We had originaly looked to stay in Tuscany, but found having two cats a problem for renting, and the house we settled for in Royal Oak was the first one we looked at outside Tuscany. We have landed lucky and got a good rental deal on the house we are in, so it seems it was meant to be. And best of all, I am only 15 mins from work!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheStennings
I have sent you an email on the address you gave me.
Hi...we got your email...intend to reply soon.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:10 am
Just Joined

cumbrian lad is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=amardan;6787671]Hi expats
Hi there

\glad you are settled and are liking Calgary. We are from Cumbria UK and have living in Canada for over 7yrs now,and are loking at moving your way. My husband works in Calgary and at the moment commutes from Sylvan lake.He has done this for 2yrs,but is getting tired of the drive. So we are looking for a newish area on the out skirts of Calgary,with large lots.Any suggestions please?
do you have any children?
we have an 11yr old boy.
is there lots to do ?

sharon
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=cumbrian lad;6901341]
Hi expats
Hi there

\glad you are settled and are liking Calgary. We are from Cumbria UK and have living in Canada for over 7yrs now,and are loking at moving your way. My husband works in Calgary and at the moment commutes from Sylvan lake.He has done this for 2yrs,but is getting tired of the drive. So we are looking for a newish area on the out skirts of Calgary,with large lots.Any suggestions please?
do you have any children?
we have an 11yr old boy.
is there lots to do ?

sharon
Hi Sharon we live in Tuscany but there is not really any large lots to speak of as it is a rather new area. But it is very nice and you can see mountains in the distance. It is only a 25 min commute to work but it takes longer on the way home as it is quite busy with the traffic. We feel like we are not in a busy city in Tuscany which is nice. I also have a 11yr old boy and he enjoys playing out with his friends and biking with his dad. There is the Tuscany Club and that has scouts and other events and sports. Also we haven't been yet but hope to go soon to the swimming pool in the YMCA at crowfoot as it is quite a big swimming pool. Also I am looking into skating lessons for both my children. So answer to your question there is lots to do it just depends what your son is interested in.

Hope this helps

Rachel
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:49 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Welcome to Calgary!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RN1
Welcome to Calgary!
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice

Hi expats

Here is our journey to Calgary so far.

Well have been so busy settling in as we arrived in Calgary on 4th Sept 2008 and it has been non-stop. There is so much to remember and sort out at first. It takes a while on how things work in Canada as some things are quite different compared to the uk. Such as when you buy a car you then go to registries to buy your license plate. Also we found it not too bad for anyone to insure us as we had no driving history in Canada. However, I do recommend that you take proof of your no claims with you as Insurers rate you and the higher the grade such as 8 the better the insurance but the lower the grade higher the insurance. Unfortunately, for us my o/h had 9 years no claims but I had 4 years no claims so the grade was reduced and our premium raised from $139 to $179 per month as they take the lowest no claims. Also we had to surrender our uk licenses for canadian ones so that we could legally drive in Calgary. We found that our set up funds went a long way as we managed to buy furniture for the house and other things such as TV, DVD player and a car. The only thing that I have found strange is that certain supermarkets don't stock tin tomatoes and when I ask anyone they don't know what I am talking about which I found very funny. Luckily, where we live there is a Sobey's and they seem to stock Tomatoe sauce which is more like a passata but still does the job. The children seem to have settled in nicely but we are still finding our feet and haven't really made any friends as yet but it is still early days. It is nice to have a bit of a summer as well, unlike poor UK rain and more rain. Unfortunately, the one thing from UK I do miss is our TV setup as Canadian TV is dire but it makes us want to go out and walk and do more with the children. So that can't be all bad. We are just an hour or so away from Banff and views were outstanding. Well, I feel I have babbled on enough but there is just one more thing I would like to add that Canada is definitely the right move for us and we have no regrets.

Regards

I would just like to add to this feel good post and hope ease any fears of anyone thinking of making the move. We arrived in Calgary on the 13th October, although still early days we are starting to feel settled and are definately enjoying our new surroundings. We have found our start up funds went quite along way and everything I budgeted for has come in under budgets. Our kids love their new Yard and the Lake access we have.Everyone has been so helpful especially with the one problem we have encountered - lease/financing a car - this is now being resolved through a contact with my work.
Anyone thinking abut the move I would say go for it people are very helpful and friendly and certainly help is availabe if required.